A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:58:53 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Camera records unexpected violence  (Read 28277 times)
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2009, 12:10:03 pm »

"So let me get this right, because you don't agree with what the studies say, you can just ignore anything in them.  And I went back and reread them after I posted as I had time.  So far every study and/or article that has been linked on this thread has shown data giving strength to the dangers of tasers.  In fact, when I did the search for these articles I linked the ones on the first page that were on sites that I knew (like usa today).  I liked all of them on the first page, and even went a few more pages in looking at results.  Nothing I could find states any studies showing that there is no risk in using tasers.  The fact that you are the one in this conversation that is at risk of loosing a weapon because of it's missuse, and are so blindly fighting that it's safe is scary in itself. 

And this one I came on, and it's not even a US station that this report comes from.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/map-tasers-canada/"

I guess you conveniently missed the study I cited earlier or you are ignoring it because you don't agree with it.

I'm confused about your earlier statement, Are you arguing about the dangers of the taser or it's missuse?

Oh FYI, I don't use a Taser.

Sorry, missed your posting on that. However, even the report that you cited shows that a risk is involved with using the taser. 

And I am arguing about the dangers.  The missuse is not really an issue that can be argued.  It exists, it hurts, it will be missused.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2019, 11:47:20 am »

I believe if you will check with the courts and the Taser industry, no Taser use has ever been proven to cause death.  Much to the dismay of the media who likes to put in headlines like "Man Dies After Being Tased."  

Its been years since Ive heard anyone use the contrived term "excited delirium" to justify in-custody deaths.

Deputies 'acted justifiably' to subdue motorist who died after fight, Wagoner County DA says
Both deputies deployed their stun guns, but attempts to subdue Krueger were “completely ineffective.”  Shortly thereafter, law enforcement officers discovered that he was not breathing normally; he was quickly taken to Wagoner City Hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after arriving.
“The preliminary finding, absent toxicology results, is that Krueger died as the result of excited delirium.”

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/deputies-acted-justifiably-to-subdue-motorist-who-died-after-fight/article_b459c4e2-06b9-5abd-aadf-11fad8f54e5c.html

A leading doctors group on Thursday formally withdrew its approval of a 2009 paper on “excited delirium,” a document that critics say has been used to justify excessive force by police.

The American College of Emergency Physicians in a statement called the paper outdated and said the term excited delirium should not be used by members who testify in civil or criminal cases. The group's directors voted on the matter Thursday in Philadelphia.

“This means if someone dies while being restrained in custody ... people can’t point to excited delirium as the reason and can’t point to ACEP’s endorsement of the concept to bolster their case,” said Dr. Brooks Walsh, a Connecticut emergency doctor who pushed the organization to strengthen its stance.

In March, the National Association of Medical Examiners took a stand against the term, saying it should not be listed as a cause of death. Other medical groups, including the American Medical Association, had previously rejected excited delirium as a diagnosis. Critics have called it unscientific and rooted in racism.

https://tulsaworld.com/ap/national/a-doctors-group-calls-its-excited-delirium-paper-outdated-and-withdraws-its-approval/article_7368f685-4a32-5af4-95cc-af08daf7ae2e.html

« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 03:03:44 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2019, 02:18:24 pm »

“The preliminary finding, absent toxicology results, is that Krueger died as the result of excited delirium.”[/font]

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/deputies-acted-justifiably-to-subdue-motorist-who-died-after-fight/article_b459c4e2-06b9-5abd-aadf-11fad8f54e5c.html

Euphemism for "high as sh!t on PCP"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2019, 09:46:14 pm »

Euphemism for "high as sh!t on PCP"

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-taser-legal/

or just plain old asphyxiation:
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/investigations/2019/07/30/gonna-kill-dallas-police-body-cam-footage-reveals-final-minutes-tony-timpas-life

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 09:23:23 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org