A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:53:27 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consequences of Stadium District?  (Read 36180 times)
Wilbur
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2009, 06:38:17 am »

Because I and many others would expect them to build as nice a ballpark as they can for the amount of money they have to spend. We want a ballpark. We want it done as best it can be within the budget.
Why do you believe the government is responsible to provide you with entertainment?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2009, 07:31:32 am »

Why do you believe the government is responsible to provide you with entertainment?

What is the difference between government dollars building the arena or the performing arts center and government dollars building a baseball park?

Do you think arts supporters are more important than sports supporters?

Power is nothing till you use it.
Wilbur
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2009, 08:03:13 am »

What is the difference between government dollars building the arena or the performing arts center and government dollars building a baseball park?

Do you think arts supporters are more important than sports supporters?

They don't need to provide me with those entertainment venues either.  If it's such a sure money maker, let private business build it, pay for it, and reap the rewards for it.

We have much higher priorities in this city (or should).
Wrinkle
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2009, 01:15:32 pm »

We also were provided the right to vote for funding the Performing Arts Center and the Arena, not so with ballpark.
waterboy
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2009, 01:45:24 pm »

Not to mention the very narrow use of a baseball stadium vs the expansive uses of the Arena. I don't believe there was as big a problem with the Arena as V2025 was put to a public vote. Imagine if it had been funded the way the stadium is.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2009, 02:03:13 pm »

Not to mention the very narrow use of a baseball stadium vs the expansive uses of the Arena. I don't believe there was as big a problem with the Arena as V2025 was put to a public vote. Imagine if it had been funded the way the stadium is.

The baseball stadium will also be used for concerts and other events.
waterboy
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2009, 03:25:48 pm »

Let me know when they have a basketball tournament there, followed by a ice hockey game, then Bruce Springsteen and Celine Dion.

Seriously, there's not much they can do in the new stadium that they couldn't, and didn't do in the old one. Don't misunderstand me, I am glad we are keeping the Drillers. I am not happy with the way it happened. If you read my old posts I was willing to lose the Drillers if the general population did not support keeping them here. Jenks will swallow anything they think Tulsa wants and break rules to do so. That's just the nature of a small aggressive bedroom community. I believe if put to a vote with a small assessment fee from downtown owners, some donation money thrown in and matched to a small property tax, we would have voted to keep them here.

I like Taylor and how she has gotten stuff done, but this might not have been a very good fair idea. Nonetheless, it is what it is. At least the method of apportioning costs needs to be adjusted. I would also include the church property owners to be fair.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2009, 08:19:02 pm »

Let me know when they have a basketball tournament there, followed by a ice hockey game, then Bruce Springsteen and Celine Dion.

Let me know when the BOK Center has a soccer game, baseball, fireworks, or picks up one of the outdoor only tours that comes through (or should I say flies over).
waterboy
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2009, 09:14:21 pm »

Touche'. What is an outdoor only tour?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2009, 10:00:02 pm »

Touche'. What is an outdoor only tour?

Many artists do summer tours at outdoor venues. Dave Matthews had an outdoor tour and stopped at bricktown ballpark a few years ago. Some artists do only ballpark/ampitheater tours (I believe Jimmy Buffett is one of them)
Rico
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2009, 07:33:16 pm »

Seriously, there's not much they can do in the new stadium that they couldn't, and didn't do in the old one. Don't misunderstand me, I am glad we are keeping the Drillers. I am not happy with the way it happened. If you read my old posts I was willing to lose the Drillers if the general population did not support keeping them here. Jenks will swallow anything they think Tulsa wants and break rules to do so. That's just the nature of a small aggressive bedroom community. I believe if put to a vote with a small assessment fee from downtown owners, some donation money thrown in and matched to a small property tax, we would have voted to keep them here.

I like Taylor and how she has gotten stuff done, but this might not have been a very good fair idea. Nonetheless, it is what it is. At least the method of apportioning costs needs to be adjusted. I would also include the church property owners to be fair.

H2O.. you have to admit this keeps Ms Dexter and her colleagues busy and may very well be the best demonstration to date for the Mayor supporting so many in the legal profession.
Chicken Little
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2009, 07:47:42 pm »

For the curious (didn't see links to these):

Saturday 10/18 - Tulsa World Editors eviscerating Brogdon over the stadium.

Saturday 10/18 - Brogdon announces he's running for Governor

A mosaic.

Caution: avoid prolonged eye contact.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 07:49:32 pm by Chicken Little » Logged
waterboy
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2009, 07:54:02 pm »

H2O.. you have to admit this keeps Ms Dexter and her colleagues busy and may very well be the best demonstration to date for the Mayor supporting so many in the legal profession.

Birds of a feather, eh? 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org