A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:41:32 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sign Industry: Tulsa's Billboards Too Bright  (Read 48672 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2012, 03:04:01 pm »

This should give you an idea of the light output from this sign:

Granted, that's a long exposure as you can see from the passing cars, but it lights up the trees and the RR bridge very nicely.

south or north side of the bridge?

EDIT: actually it doesn't matter..both ways it's inside Owasso's fenceline it would appear.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2012, 03:12:51 pm »

It's probably either Owasso or the county then.

INCOG.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2012, 03:17:29 pm »

This should give you an idea of the light output from this sign:

Granted, that's a long exposure as you can see from the passing cars, but it lights up the trees and the RR bridge very nicely.

Wow
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 03:54:29 pm »

The sign is on the south side of the bridge, though it hardly matters as it's equally blinding both ways.  There's a family home just south of the sign, and it's only partially screened by trees.  It probably lights up their rooms at night.  Hopefully, they're being compensated by the sign company, otherwise there could be some midnight target practice with a pellet gun.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2012, 04:36:53 pm »

The sign is on the south side of the bridge, though it hardly matters as it's equally blinding both ways.  There's a family home just south of the sign, and it's only partially screened by trees.  It probably lights up their rooms at night.  Hopefully, they're being compensated by the sign company, otherwise there could be some midnight target practice with a pellet gun.

Apparently that family has had to put blankets over their windows.

“We have found that it is not in compliance and it is illegal,” said ODOT Spokesperson Kenna Mitchell.
http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/dontaye-carter-billboard-drivers/29IUrIiBdkW3QXvzcnojDQ.cspx
She says the sign owners have a permit for the billboard but not the digital display. Mitchell also added it is illegal to have a digital display with movement. The state has given the company 90 days to get its permit and remove the movement from the display.

Excellent photo, Ed.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:34:55 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2012, 08:40:04 am »

Apparently that family has had to put blankets over their windows.

“We have found that it is not in compliance and it is illegal,” said ODOT Spokesperson Kenna Mitchell.
http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/dontaye-carter-billboard-drivers/29IUrIiBdkW3QXvzcnojDQ.cspx
She says the sign owners have a permit for the billboard but not the digital display. Mitchell also added it is illegal to have a digital display with movement. The state has given the company 90 days to get its permit and remove the movement from the display.

Excellent photo, Ed.

Great pic.

A sensor being broken makes sense but why did they have to wait to be told to do something about before trying to fixing it?
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2012, 08:51:27 am »

A sensor being broken makes sense but why did they have to wait to be told to do something about before trying to fixing it?

See that pole extending horizontally from the billboard? 
It's a camera that lets them see what the display looks like anytime 24/7.

Maybe that was broken the last 2 months, too.
Or not.

JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2012, 09:54:25 am »

It was shut off when I drove by at 8:30 last night.  Perhaps ODOT did a little more than give them 90 days?

and I read the entire article and found out they shut it off to fix the sensor...  

It does remind me of the Seinfeld episode with Kenny Rogers Roasters....
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:57:42 am by JCnOwasso » Logged

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 10:31:08 am »

It does remind me of the Seinfeld episode with Kenny Rogers Roasters....

I use the rods and cones line.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2012, 10:26:03 pm »

It's back on, and still in violation, but ODOT reportedly said they will hold the owner responsible for any crashes.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2012, 08:36:26 am »

It's back on, and still in violation, but ODOT reportedly said they will hold the owner responsible for any crashes.

Seriously?  I really want to see proof they said that.  I want to forward that on if it's available.
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2012, 08:38:35 am »

We can get issued fines if our vehicle is not in compliance with the law... is the owners of this eye sore getting fines?  How about we start contacting the businesses who utilize this sign for advertising and "call them to the carpet".  I can say that I will not use the insurance agent or Owasso Collision for anything.  They had to have input into the advertising and have to know that it is in violation (animations, signs changing about every 3 seconds).  Perhaps the collision place is looking for job security? Smiley

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2012, 10:00:43 am »

How about we start contacting the businesses who utilize this sign for advertising and "call them to the carpet".  

I like the way you think.

I will never do business with any company that puts yard signs in medians. I sometimes get a moment to call them and remind them that they are making my neighbor hood ugly.

Power is nothing till you use it.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2012, 10:59:41 am »

Seriously?  I really want to see proof they said that.  I want to forward that on if it's available.

It was 17 minutes into Fox23's 10pm Wednesday newscast.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2012, 11:02:09 am »

It was 17 minutes into Fox23's 10pm Wednesday newscast.

OK, thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org