A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:32:05 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shocking - The state may not pass funding for Tulsa's Dams  (Read 13120 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« on: March 31, 2009, 07:46:26 am »

Ok, not shocking. Expected.

This is from the recent state bond issue that was killed in the supreme court. Oklahoma City's funding for the Native American Center came through but Tulsa's funding for the river was killed. And now the state senate may not pass the measure for the dams. According the World Owasso's own Randy Brogdon is at it again and is part of the effort to kill the funding.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/article.aspx?subjectid=61&articleid=20090331_61_A16_Abondp55156
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 09:49:21 am »

Gasp!

Are you telling me Oklahoma City made a deal whereby both Tulsa and OKC got something from State tax money, and after Tulsa legislators voted on the measure it looks like Tulsa will see no benefit from the measure at all?

Are Oklahoma City legislators that smart or are Tulsa's consistently that ineffective?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 10:32:01 am »

So, what recourse do we have? Can we have the whole bill scrapped and force OKC to pay back any funds received?

---Robert
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 12:11:35 pm »

So, what recourse do we have? Can we have the whole bill scrapped and force OKC to pay back any funds received?

I like you. You make me laugh.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 12:54:05 pm »

We shouldn't even try making deals with them.  I am starting to turn into a serious no state tax, limited state government.  Keep it local and we can tax ourselves and do whatever we want with it.  Lets secede and make Tulsa a city-state lol. What the heck does the state government do for us that we couldnt do? But there again,,, who the heck is supposed to be on our side making things happen for us in OKC and making sure its done RIGHT!?  You know danged well they are laughing at us down there. I have heard people tell me they do. Behind closed doors they are chuckling away and rolling on the floor with laughter. We got em again, those disorganized, idiots in Tulsa. More money for the rest of us now.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 01:11:31 pm »

We shouldn't even try making deals with them.  I am starting to turn into a serious no state tax, limited state government.  Keep it local and we can tax ourselves and do whatever we want with it.  Lets secede and make Tulsa a city-state lol. What the heck does the state government do for us that we couldnt do? But there again,,, who the heck is supposed to be on our side making things happen for us in OKC and making sure its done RIGHT!?  You know danged well they are laughing at us down there. I have heard people tell me they do. Behind closed doors they are chuckling away and rolling on the floor with laughter. We got em again, those disorganized, idiots in Tulsa. More money for the rest of us now.

This is what should have happened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Sequoyah

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 01:24:01 pm »

So, the question becomes... "What do we do about it?" And don't reply "elect better representatives" because it doesn't seem to help. No matter the representative that we put in, nor what they accomplish, it seems to be later steamrolled by the state.

If we are not gaining any benefit from the state (and this has been happening for a while), then what recourse have Tulsans and members of the Tulsa Metropolitan Area? Do we appeal to a court? Do we protest by not sending state taxes to the capitol? Do we seceed from Oklahoma?

---Robert
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 01:51:23 pm »

I wouldn't discount the "elect better state officials" idea since we're talking about a case were the official from NE Oklahoma is trying to stop a NE Oklahoma project. My representative doesn't do much, I'm not entirely sure he shows up.
tshane250
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 01:58:54 pm »

I am starting to turn into a serious no state tax, limited state government.  Keep it local and we can tax ourselves and do whatever we want with it.

Seriously, of the 8.517 cents we pay in sales tax in the City of Tulsa - the money which pays for the lion's share of everything in this city, including public safety (fire and police) and the streets - only 3 cents actually goes to the City.  4.5 cents goes to the state, for who knows what, seriously, I have no idea what they spend it on.  Tulsa County collects 1.0176 cents which goes for Vision 2025 (.6 cents, a miniscule amount when you consider all the projects and their benefits), the jail (.25 cents) and 4 to Fix (.1676 cents).  So our public safety and quality of life in this City, for the most part, depend on the 3 cents we pay for every dollar we spend in Tulsa.  At least we can be proud of the fact that we financed everything that was built in this City ourselves with no outside help (give or take a dollar).  
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 02:54:06 pm »

I wouldn't discount the "elect better state officials" idea since we're talking about a case were the official from NE Oklahoma is trying to stop a NE Oklahoma project. My representative doesn't do much, I'm not entirely sure he shows up.

But Owasso LOVES Randy Brogdon.

And it's just an excuse, Metro Tulsa has almost 1/3 of the state's population and should have something like 1/3 of the Senate representing the region. out of that large a sample you are always going to get some grandstanding pander-monkey Senator who is thinking more about his potential run for Governor than the good of the region he was elected to represent. The expectation that all Senators for the Tulsa region have to vote “yes” is a bald attempt to find a reason, any reason, to vote against projects in Tulsa.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 03:08:55 pm »

4.5 cents goes to the state, for who knows what, seriously, I have no idea what they spend it on.  

Great roads?
 Grin

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 03:13:13 pm »

Great roads?
 Grin

No no, we pay fuel taxes for our nice gravel interstates. They must be spending on the money on important work issues like paperwork to block biologists from speaking at OU.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 07:16:11 am »

The entire tax structure is messed up in Oklahoma (and everywhere else, but . . .).  Our tag fees go to schools.  Portions of our fuel taxes go to the operating fund.  Then our roads are unfunded and we can't figure it out.

If only there was something or things we could tax that would roughly correlate with road use and could provide funding for roads . . . THINK, THINK.  Well, other than making all roads to Tulsa toll roads I got nothin'.    Making roads to OKC toll roads is NOT an option, maybe tolls on city bridges in Tulsa?

FWIW, I have no particular allegiance to the State of Oklahoma - I enjoy living here and have adopted the State as my home (sports teams and all).  But its not that strong of a tie.

Tulsa would lose affiliation with the University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, but from a practical standpoint that's about it.  Tulsa has a negative tax relationship with the State of Oklahoma, we fund projects and programs for the rest of the State.  We have 60% of the exports of the State, we send governmental jobs down the turnpike, we control much of the water resources of the state, our tolls fund a large portion of ODOT, we don't share their airport . . .   from a practical standpoint it would actually work.   

I have no zeal for a succession movement, but I wouldn't bother to oppose one either. Maybe talk of the idea will actually get Tulsa a fair shake in the State House. 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 08:22:50 am »

But Owasso LOVES Randy Brogdon.

And it's just an excuse, Metro Tulsa has almost 1/3 of the state's population and should have something like 1/3 of the Senate representing the region. out of that large a sample you are always going to get some grandstanding pander-monkey Senator who is thinking more about his potential run for Governor than the good of the region he was elected to represent. The expectation that all Senators for the Tulsa region have to vote “yes” is a bald attempt to find a reason, any reason, to vote against projects in Tulsa.

Brogdon is a dildo.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 08:36:56 am »

That is an insult to sexual devices.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org