A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:04:01 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital Newspapers and Tulsa  (Read 4822 times)
Hometown
« on: March 19, 2009, 11:36:02 am »

There has been a lot of talk recently about folding newspapers and print newspapers turning digital.

I’m sure others have considered how digital newspapers could turn the industry upside down and rewrite the book.

While the costs of creating a print competitor for the Tulsa World were prohibitive, developing a digital competitor – a New Digital Newspaper for Tulsa – is not outside the realm of possibilities.

Enterprising Editors and Reporters, on a limited budget, could create a compelling alternative to the TulsaWorld that might unseat the World as Tulsa’s paper of record.

If they could capture a good percentage of the World's advertising, well ... It would be a new day for Tulsa.

stageidea
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 01:27:11 pm »

I have always thought that would be an excellent idea.  Especially if it was designed around the original model of Weblogs, Inc.  Which payed pre-approved writers/reporters to submit stories.  They where paid per submission a set fee and I think there bonuses built in to compensate if the story was able to pull in quite a bit of traffic.  I think it could certainly work if you where able to pull in the advertisers.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 01:30:23 pm by stageidea » Logged

Hometown
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 02:15:12 pm »

That reminds me of publications I have seen where all the advertising art had to be prepared by artists approved by the Editor.  Editor had a list of artists to choose from.  It resulted in a beautiful, consistent look throughout the publication.

In a recent story about newspapers going digital, the example of itunes was used to show a new willingness among consumers to pay for digital information.  But I'm still having trouble imagining giving up paper.

Then there are the readers who do not have access to computer (Tulsa probably has a high percentage).  For that reason and because of my simple love of paper, I was imagining a weekend Tabloid newspaper edition combined with a Monday through Friday digital newspaper.  Then you start thinking about delivering that tabloid edition and who to deliver it to.  But maybe the weekend tabloid print edition is just backtracking and my fear of letting go.

You would have to work with an attorney to develop strict publication guidelines and you would probably, at least initially have to rob talent from print media.

There are many challenges here but what is so exciting is that costs could be contained and suddenly what was the province of big money is now open to not so big money.

stageidea
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 01:28:55 pm »

I will agree that Tulsa prob. does not have the computer/internet attach rates (It would be cool if we could find that out, though). 

In this market I don’t think that you would have to steal any talent from traditional sources.  How many layoffs have they had at the Tulsa World over the past two years?  I would imagine that there are still quite a few journalists that you could pick up. 

I will say while I myself enjoy reading a physical paper I would not be against adding another source for local news.   I think at some point in the future we most likely have to let traditional printed material pass but we are certainly not there yet.  I have yet to see an E-Book reader that I would be willing to use on a daily basis.  Although, I certainly will skim through the news via my iphone so we can’t be too far away.

Hometown
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 11:49:49 am »

Someone's going to do this.  If it's successful TulsaWorld will probably buy it. 

The other day I saw a nasty little tabloid called "Tulsa Crime _______" something, can't remember.  It was so bad it was good.  It was refreshing to see something different in print.   

Anyway, I've never used one the electronic readers.  Someone was telling about the Kendal (spell?).  Things sure have come a long way. 

I remember the old TulsaWorld when the department stores did these elegant pen and ink wash illustrations.  The newspaper ink would smear off on your hands and get your clothes dirty.  I suppose the next generation will get all sloppy romantic about binary code.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 12:18:07 pm »

Kindle

Tulsa Crime Monthly I believe. Very entertaining.
Sardonicus Rex
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 02:27:47 pm »

Urban Tulsa has a story on Tulsa Crime Monthly. [EDIT: had a story a year ago. Just noticed the date was 08. Still an interesting read.]

http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A20450
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:48:05 pm by Sardonicus Rex » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org