A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:56:33 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 11th and Harvard  (Read 5695 times)
orion
« on: March 24, 2009, 04:11:03 pm »

whats up at the old pawn shop at the southeast corner...see some flags and no windows looks almost official there..any guess?
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 04:21:33 pm »

Going to guess TU bought the land since the fencing kind of matches theirs. Hope I am wrong though would rather see new business in that location.

Thank you,
Robert Town
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 04:28:15 pm »

Dental School. No affiliation with TU.

---Robert
dsjeffries
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 04:56:29 pm »

Dental School. No affiliation with TU.

Actually, I heard it's no dental school at all, and instead just storage for TU (ick). Why else would they take out every single door and window, save one overhead door, put up a fence and TU flags, then blind us all with spotlights?

What TU has done and continues to do to the whole neighborhood disgusts me... and I'm a student there!
orion
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 05:55:00 pm »

Yeah I had heard a rumor of a Dental school of some sort..but with no windows and only door a freight type door and all that lighting etc..I think I would go with some sort of TU storage facility..but one only guessing
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 06:50:20 pm »

The windows had been closed off for a long time
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 08:42:01 pm »

TU keeps all their gold, corpses, and weed in there. 

Incidentally, why is TU on an incremental crusade to knock down every house along the east side of Harvard between 11th and 4th?  It's like one long thin lawn, broken up by the occasional stubborn homeowner.  Anyone have any idea?
tulsascoot
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:29:01 pm »

TU keeps all their gold, corpses, and weed in there. 

Incidentally, why is TU on an incremental crusade to knock down every house along the east side of Harvard between 11th and 4th?  It's like one long thin lawn, broken up by the occasional stubborn homeowner.  Anyone have any idea?

It's my understanding that the people who own those houses have a life estate, and when they pass on, the property goes to TU. (I could be wrong, though) I think TU wants to surround the campus with large green spaces, and has been working on it for some time.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 11:37:00 pm »

Actually, I heard it's no dental school at all, and instead just storage for TU (ick). Why else would they take out every single door and window, save one overhead door, put up a fence and TU flags, then blind us all with spotlights?

What TU has done and continues to do to the whole neighborhood disgusts me... and I'm a student there!

The building houses the most deadly spider in the world !!!!
Ok seriously, do I need to get some pictures of the lights?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 07:40:52 am »

The original plan for the building at 11th and Harvard was for a dental school not affiliated with TU.  This was out a year ago or so.

When they started putting up the fence that looked exactly like the TU fences, I called TU Building and Grounds and asked if it was their project.  They weren't not sure what building I was talking about - but I quickly clarified it.  The answer was NO, it was not a building project for TU (this was probably last December or so).

But I don't know what it is or who owns it.
- - -

Per the East side of Harvard, U Tulsa bought that property years ago and granted the residents life estates.  The current residents own them and can do as they please, but when they die U Tulsa takes ownership over.  Essentially it is to control the neighborhood, but I am not aware of any real plans.

Just across the street, on the West side of Harvard they are building an 80,000 sq. foot Arts building.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 08:18:50 am »

The answer was NO, it was not a building project for TU (this was probably last December or so).

At the TU Area Neighborhood Workshop, there was a woman from TU (her name escapes me at the moment) who also clarified that it was not a part of TU. That was only a month ago. I think it is well established that the building is NOT part of TU.

---Robert
Gold
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 09:56:39 am »

There has long been talk of TU trying to move the Greek houses in order to make room for more classroom buildings.  I don't think it would make much sense on the opposite side of Harvard and really doubt there is a plan to that end.  I think it would make more sense for TU to move north up to 3rd Street.

All that said, TU takes some really unfair flak.  Their contribution to the city and neighborhood far outweighs their cost.  Real estate values would fall through the floor if they ever decided to leave.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 11:01:25 am »

I stopped by the building in question today on my way back from the courthouse and got to go inside.

It is at the moment entirely open on the inside with arched steel beams holding up a wood truss roof.  The walls are a mixture of brick, cinder block, and terracotta brick covered with the remains of 2" of plaster with a variety of paint colors remaining in patches.  There is evidence of old windows being bricked over, doorways being opened and closed back up, vents placed and bricked over... this place has been used over the years.  Construction is from the 1920's and it has been a hardware store, a grocery store, and a pawn shop that the contractor knew of.

Several supporting roof timbers have been replaced, a new overhead door system has been installed, some of the wall has been replaced, the front entrance cinder blocked over and the interior cleared of debris.  In the near future there are plans to put a grand entry about 20' in from 11th street featuring a 20' tall tower and also finish out the inside of the building - but just the standing walls (not putting in interior walls atm).  I guess they are waiting on permitting to get started on this work.  The parking lot and fence were done to blend in with the U of Tulsa, but they are not affiliated.

The overall plan for the structure has not been determined.  It is a project for a local individual who lives nearby and just thought the property was being wasted.  It may be a teaching oriented dentists office, a photography studio or a restaurant - or if the price is right the property is of course for sale.  All are options that have been considered and looked into, but no real decisions made. 

I got the impression that a lot of money was spent to buy the building and I'm sure a good chunk has been spent to get it into the shape it is now (that fence alone is pricey I'm sure) - so I'm hopeful something interesting happens with it.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org