A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:54:49 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PLANitulsa's Sienna Architecture Defunct - Since January?  (Read 3570 times)
DowntownNow
« on: March 22, 2009, 10:54:17 am »

Today the Tulsa World posted a story in the Business Section that included the plight and demise of many an architectural firm in this country as a result of the global economy. 

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=46&articleid=20090322_46_E2_JCSNis902910

One such firm was Sienna Architects, the principal architect behind PLANitulsa I thought?  I remember attending a presentation at OSU-Tulsa and Gary Reddick of Sienna giving a somewhat lengthy presentation on Portland, OR.

Researching this further, the Oregonian reports that Sienna closed its doors in January of this year.  I was a lil surprised that we haven't heard of this development.  Is an architect still needed on this?  Do we have one?  I thought Sienna was brought in by Fregonese to help put all the plans prepared at the work study meetings together and formulate the scenarios?

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 11:13:49 am »

I don't think that Sienna Architecture was ever one of the PLANiTULSA consultants...unless they were a sub-contractor to Fregonese.  All of the main consulting firms  on the team are listed on the PLANiTULSA website: TIP Strategies (economic development and modeling), Collective Strength (research/surveys), Kimley-Horne (transportation), etc.

Fregonese has, on occasion, pulled in experts from other firms to take a look at issues / problems that are specific to Tulsa.  Gary Reddick seems to be, among other things, an expert on creative solutions to parking problems.  That is, eliminating the need for surface parking lots by building up, and incorporating the parking into multi-use designs. 

He came to Tusla to speak at the TulsaNow event (and an AIA event), but has been back several times b/c of the opportunity he saw here.  (I think a couple local develpers have sought out his services...including, if I remember correctly, ZigZag.)

Who knows?  Perhaps Sienna's loss will be Tulsa's gain.  We can use all the creative solutions we can get! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org