A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:08:20 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa State Fairgrounds  (Read 3402 times)
Dolletta
« on: March 18, 2009, 09:25:26 pm »

The Intertribal Indian Club of Tulsa Veterans Color Guard has been hosting our event on the Tulsa State Fairgrounds since 1983.  Our organization initially held our event in the Pavillion but soon outgrew the outdated building.  Since that time we have held our event in the lower level of the EXPO Square building (now named "QuikTrip Center"). When we first began holding our event on the fairgrounds, the Tulsa County Fairboard Authority decided that it was not feasible for them to open a concession.  Therefore, our organization has from the beginning, been able to have "Native American Foods" made by Native American People, as well as the soda/water concessions. This helps to offset our expenses; our event is not a fund raiser and is expected to pay for itself.  When the fairgrounds initially began charging $1 for a "facility surcharge" it was said to be to help offset the parking and assist with funding the payroll for employees.  I have tried my best to speak directly to EACH of the County Commissioners--I am referred to "someone else" each time.  I am hearing impaired and the telephone is NOT an option for me to communicate.  I am a bright and intelligent woman...just because I went deaf does not mean that I am stupid or cannot think for myself.  Most recently, the acting CEO Mark Andrus referred me to a Mr. Brown (who used to be in charge of FINE HOST FOODS... who had a monopoly for YEARS with the City and County for food services).  This man must think I am "stupid".   He says the fairgrounds is now being run like a business and as such is interested soley in making a profit.  I began "negotiations" with the fairgrounds the later part of January it is now March 18th it has become absolutely intolerable.  We "toured" the new Central Park Hall and the Exchange building...simply because the QuikTrip building is no longer "affordable" for our organization.  We set a date for our pow wow to be held in Central Park Hall...was told that we could go ahead and advertise our event.  The following week we were given a call saying "sorry" but we rented the building to someone else...it was purely economics.
No, it is NOT purely economics, I personally am offended and think the fairgrounds personnel and Commissioners simply do NOT want American Indians to continue our pow wow and cultural event in "any" building on the Tulsa State Fairgrounds.  It is all well and good that tribal governments in Oklahoma can assist in paying for some of the county road projects, give monies to schools in Oklahoma, and use Native Americans as a way to "attract" tourist to the State of Oklahoma, but to help a not for profit Indian organization---they turn tail and run the other way.  Our event is held in August, with all the "run around" I have been given by the fairgrounds personnel, and lack of assistance from "any of the County Commissioners" time has been shortened to a little over four months to find a building, advertise our location, and prepare all aspects for the event.   
Wilbur
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 05:11:15 am »

Your post was a little confusing.  If I understand you correctly, if your organization does not get special treatment from the fairgrounds, that means the fairgrounds don't like native americans? 
waterboy
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 06:31:06 am »

Yeah, special treatment like being offered a solid date for your function then selling it to a higher bidder.  Shoddy treatment for long time customers.

Perhaps the new arena in Bixby could handle the show?
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 11:26:25 am »

If they arent treating you right. And it sounds like they are not working to get your business. Indeed, go to the suburbs like Bixby.

Some relationship advice

You may like the one fella but if he isnt returning the favor... A friend once told me that the best most fortunate relationship you can have is when you find someone who adores you.  Get out of the bad relationship. You have tried to make it work, they arent changing. This Tulsa Fairgrounds fella sounds like an uppity loser. Find someone who adores you.   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 11:36:20 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 07:31:24 pm »

Why not have the gathering in a public space?  I'm not certain what the protocol is, but since you are a multi-tribe group and since Stickball park (18th and Cheyenne formerly of the Lochapoka) is newly "parklike"; we'd love to have you in Riverview. How big is the crowd? If you are too big for that park, Veteran's Park is aptly named.

PM me if you would like me to help you set it up. Our Neighborhood association can help do the leg work for you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org