A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:45:51 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Texas set to require Voter ID  (Read 14484 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 01:16:01 pm »

If they were smarter, they'd subscribe to the Social Security deceased file.  Don't the voter regs have SSN number on them?  I know where I work we provide a service similar to this; the SS sends us a file every month with deceased on them.
Does the SSA also publish a list of the SSNs they erroneously listed as deceased in previous files? My mom died twice according to SSA. (The second time they were in fact correct)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2009, 01:25:14 pm »

Does the SSA also publish a list of the SSNs they erroneously listed as deceased in previous files? My mom died twice according to SSA. (The second time they were in fact correct)

Hey, I'm not saying they don't make mistakes; because they typically get these based on when the hospitals report the person deceased.

Who's to say your mom wasn't one of few mistakes?  Not trying to make light of your specific situation, but do they know what the error rate is?

And the SSA doesn't publish these; you have to subscribe to them and it's usually a list with a last name and first initial.  You also have to prove why you need them, for obvious reasons.

I would think and hope that the voter board would keep the name on the roll, but just mark it as deceased.  That way, if someone came in with proper credentials, that could be rebutted.  When you have a system now that allows thousands upon thousands of deceased voters on the rolls without a way to check them, no wonder people are screaming voter fraud.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2009, 02:17:11 pm »

If you don't like it, have the law changed to require the election board to monitor death certificate issuance or something to remove dead folks from the rolls.

Great idea! 

I think we'll change the law to have the election board just ask for positive identification.  Perhaps a photo ID, fingerprint, or other hard to duplicate form of id.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2009, 02:42:23 pm »

Great idea! 

I think we'll change the law to have the election board just ask for positive identification.  Perhaps a photo ID, fingerprint, or other hard to duplicate form of id.
Neither fingerprints nor photo IDs are hard to duplicate. That said, I'd be OK with fingerprinting, despite signatures being more sound for an after the fact audit in case of allegations of irregularity. (almost all print scanners are easily fooled by gelatin molds which can be created using only a latent print and concealed on one of your own fingers)

I'm not OK with people having to have something other than themselves present at the precinct to vote, certainly not something that requires a person to pay a fee, no matter how small, to obtain.

Edited to add: You do realize that they do require ID either at registration or the first time a newly registered voter votes, right?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org