A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:06:38 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ...at the grocery store looking for dates...  (Read 9346 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: March 16, 2009, 07:05:37 am »

First of all, I am married and my wife won't let me date. Secondly, I am looking for the fruit. Someone made me dates sliced open then stuffed with walnuts and they were delicious.

Where in Tulsa can I find dates? I tried Food Pyramid, Warehouse Market, even the new WalMart in Glenpool. I finally found a bag of them (already pitted) at Whole Foods (by the raisins), but I hope someone else sells them fresh (with pits) so I can make this dish.

Any suggestions?

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 09:38:27 am »

Well, you already blew the punchline, I was going to suggest match.com

Isn't there a mid-eastern grocery or two?  I thought there was one west of your collection center on Sheridan near 36th.  You might try the little Thai grocery in Mall 31 center.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 10:03:55 am »

Try Jerusalem Market, 6124 E 51st Pl.  Kinda behind the QT on 61st and Sheridan.  It will have the dates you're craving, as well as some kick donkey cured olives.  The lady and I were just there yesterday. 

BTW, try wrapping the dates in bacon and tossing them on the grill.  Delish!
joiei
City Father

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 10:25:04 am »

Have you tried Kabani's at Harvard and I-244

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 10:28:24 am »

BTW, try wrapping the dates in bacon and tossing them on the grill.  Delish!

That is a great tapas dish!
dayzella
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 11:17:37 am »

The Medjool ones are the high moisture dried dates most often seen in the US - soft, big ones used most often for stuffing.
The little ones (hard, low moisture, pitted) from groceries are most often used in baking.

Fresh date season isn't until Fall.  Look for the Medjools instead - and wevs is right, Jeruselum Market had at least 3 different varieties of dates this weekend and will probably have the fresh ones when the California dates start coming in September.

Medjool, Blue cheese + nut inside, wrapped in bacon, then grilled = ought to illegal.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 12:37:51 pm »

I am heading there today. Thanks.

I love TulsaNow!

Power is nothing till you use it.
FOTD
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 01:54:24 pm »

I am heading there today. Thanks.

I love TulsaNow!

Pick up some Ghee Whizz while you are in there.

Roll Eyes
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 03:44:44 pm »

Do my eyes decieve me?  It is alive!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
icanwigglemyears
Tourist

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 07:45:14 am »

Sams Club usually has really wonderful plump moist dates.  Last time I was there (a month or so ago) they had them.

Bumby
Activist

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 09:04:16 pm »

Luxor Market (strip center, NE corner 51st/Memorial...east of Walgreens) had some really nice dates the last time I was there.  That store has gone from one of the nicest to...well, it looked like they were moving but I was assured that was not the case.  There were open flats of some of the prettiest large, moist dried dates in the reach in fridge.  Besides Luxor, I purchase dried dates at most any of the Middle Eastern stores.  They come in a 2lb tub and are perfect for stuffing.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 01:24:15 pm by Bumby » Logged
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 09:08:56 pm »

I know where you can find killer spiders: http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10025233

dbacks fan
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 12:27:09 pm »

Do my eyes decieve me?  It is alive!

ssshhhhhhhh, don't poke it with a stick........
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org