A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:37:38 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dilly Deli  (Read 74158 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: March 13, 2009, 12:02:52 pm »

I posted some quick pictures on the DowntownLive! website:
http://downtownlive.org/details.php?id=276

The food was overall pretty good although I'm not sure why they put sliced chicken on a grilled chicken sandwich. I spent half my meal trying to figure out how to keep the filling in my sandwich. Also, my bacon was a bit.. sharp. Price is roughly inline with what you expect from Nelson's other restaurants. I would go back, but not every week or anything.

Oh, and the Bocce Ball is outside, not inside.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 12:07:08 pm »

Went for lunch today. Having never been to 1974, it was a lot bigger than I was expecting. Great atmosphere. Are there any plans for live music? I sat near the bar, not further in the back so I didn't see if there was a stage, but it seems big enough that with only a little re-arranging, it could host some small bands. Would love to see some singer/songwriter acoustic shows in a place like that. Also, I did love the big windows facing Elgin. Really opens it up. It was smart to open up before St. Patty's day. It will bring great visibility to the place.

The food was pretty good. I didn't ask for mayo on my club. Guess I'm used to it being standard, but that was my own fault. I think that would've made my sandwich much better. It was a little pricey, but about what I expected. My club and my wife's grilled cheese came to just shy of $20 with ~18% tip.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 12:10:48 pm »

Yeah, no mayo on my "Richard" either.

(That's what she said)
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 12:13:45 pm »

It is too expensive for lunch and a sandwich.  Maybe I am not the target audience but I would much rather go to McNellie's and get Salmon or a Shepard's pie with a water than a $9.50 sandwich and a soft drink.  $12.48 with tax and $2 for tip its $14.48 for lunch.  $8.50 is the lower cost tier of sandwiches.  I can go to say, Joe Momma's get Momma's bread as an appetizer for me and my table, a slice, a soft drink and spend that much.  Or I could just go to Joe Momma's twice with a slice and a soft drink at lunch.

Sandwich was good though and might bring a different crowd downtown.  I guess that was the goal.
I am not the type of person that is ever in the mood for a $10 sandwich.
mrburns918
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 12:40:26 pm »

A good deli sandwich is was needed in Tulsa. My craving for a place that can pile a heaping amount of Pastrami AND Corn Beef and make a sandwich comparable to something I can get in NYC has been realized.

I visited Dilly's today for lunch and my desire for the above was even an item I could order on the menu. The items are named after people who work at Elliot's (owner) establisments and/or friends. The fact that Biz has the Tuna Salad sandwich named after her is pretty ballsy. I can't help but think that she insisted being associated with that sandwich.

The atmosphere is fantastic. Shelving with oddities, open spaces, small tables, huge tables which allow you to see all of area. Great for people watching.

The service was great. Our server was Kaycee whom I had known when she worked at The Pie Hole. When our drinks were low, we didn't need to wait on Kaycee to fill them, someone was there to do it whether their station or not. The manager came around to see if everything was okay. She was very friendly who answered my questions and had a pleasing demeanor about her.

The sandwich I ordered was fantastic. The meats were not dry at all, and the flavor was very delicious. My side was tomatoes and cucumbers. They had a hint of sweetness to them, which was perfect. The best sandwich I have had in Tulsa.

The best part about the menu? The section called the Big Boy which allows you to order a ONE POUND Corned Beef or Pastrami sandwich. Sure the sandwich costs $19.95 but I can assure you that I will order one on my next visit based on the taste of the sandwich I had today. YUMMY.

They are open MON - THURS 11am - 10pm  FRI-SAT 11am - Midnight.
They are open on Sundays and have a brunch menu which is where I will be this Sunday.

If the food and service remain consistent this place will pull people day and night. I highly recommend Dilly's. I can't wait to go back.

Mr. Burns

mrburns918
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 12:46:11 pm »

It is too expensive for lunch and a sandwich.  Maybe I am not the target audience but I would much rather go to McNellie's and get Salmon or a Shepard's pie with a water than a $9.50 sandwich and a soft drink.  $12.48 with tax and $2 for tip its $14.48 for lunch.  $8.50 is the lower cost tier of sandwiches.  I can go to say, Joe Momma's get Momma's bread as an appetizer for me and my table, a slice, a soft drink and spend that much.  Or I could just go to Joe Momma's twice with a slice and a soft drink at lunch.

Sandwich was good though and might bring a different crowd downtown.  I guess that was the goal.
I am not the type of person that is ever in the mood for a $10 sandwich.

I wondered about the price of the sandwich and how it would affect the lunch crowd. I think if they were to offer a half sandwich meal deal it would be a great idea price wise. The half sandwich would still be a filling lunch worthy of a trip.

I loved the place and wrote a review on TulsaNow in the review section.

Mr. Burns

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 01:01:19 pm »

I wondered about the price of the sandwich and how it would affect the lunch crowd. I think if they were to offer a half sandwich meal deal it would be a great idea price wise. The half sandwich would still be a filling lunch worthy of a trip.

I loved the place and wrote a review on TulsaNow in the review section.

Mr. Burns

Half of what I got MIGHT get it done with enough of a side.  If I just ate half the sandwich I got though, there is no way (portabello  mushroom sandwich).
mcnellie
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 02:17:03 pm »

Glad to know that so many of you made it in at lunch today.  A lot the pricing is driven by our effort to use Farrell bread - which is a local organic bakery.  Also, when it comes to the turkey, chicken, ham, and roast beef, we are using all natural meats as well.  I think we're hoping that there is a value added in using a higher level of ingredients, especially local ones. The alternative would be to use more standard breads and meats that have a fair amount of preservatives and chemicals, but would allow us to charge less.  I'll stay tuned to this thread and see what people are thinking, however I will get to work on some half sandwiches - also, dually noted on the sliced chicken and no mayo on the club.  So long as the space works for people I think we can figure out the menu... we're only 4 hours in.
-Elliot
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 02:52:41 pm »

I will be by in ten minutes...

Power is nothing till you use it.
OSU
Activist

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 07:07:17 pm »

Ate there for dinner tonight with my parents and we were impressed. I had the Woz (roast beef and swiss cheese on a hoagie bun) which was very good, I love a hot sandwich that wasn't warmed by running it through a broiler but heating on a griddle; makes for a better sandwich I think. My dad had the Vincent Carbone (same as the Woz plus peppers and onions) which he also said was outstanding. He had their Thai peanut slaw as his side and said it was a bit hot for his taste but overall a strong and unique side item. My mother had a Connie (grilled cheese w/ I think two cheeses) she said it was the best grilled cheese she has had in Tulsa, she is our resident grilled cheese connoisseur Cheesy. I think the prices are well within reason given the quality of the food.

Overall I really liked the place, very good especially for the first night. Our waiter Matt was very attentive and answered all our questions also the general manager Drew was very helpful and open for suggestions. I like the general layout of the place it has a very open and warm vibe and the colors and textures work well together. I'm just glad downtown is growing and growing "organically" and I am thankful we have people who have a vision for downtown. Tulsa is a better place because of people like Elliot Nelson. We will be back, two thumbs up.

godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 10:03:51 pm »

Gotta ask since people are have had the hoagie bun, what is it like? Is it really a hoagie bun or is it standard midwestern white bread int he shape of a hoagie bun? Did it have bit, IE did you have to chew the bread, or did it just melt (white bread)?

Really not trying to sound like an donkey, but most places around here just don't "get" bread. I would gladly come in if the bread is right.

Thank you,
Robert Town
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 10:16:40 pm »

Gotta ask since people are have had the hoagie bun, what is it like? Is it really a hoagie bun or is it standard midwestern white bread int he shape of a hoagie bun? Did it have bit, IE did you have to chew the bread, or did it just melt (white bread)?

Really not trying to sound like an donkey, but most places around here just don't "get" bread. I would gladly come in if the bread is right.

I don't think anybody here is expert enough to determine if the bread served in any restaurant is to your liking.  I say, go there, try it, if you don't like it, make suggestions or don't go back.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 10:31:33 pm »

I went there today for a sandwich to go. Had a guy named Josh wait on me.

Ordered the "Dragoo" (pastrami, swiss and mustard on rye). It was excellent. The bread was lightly toasted and the meat piled two inches high. I also had the Thai Peanut Slaw as a side. It was very unique, a little crunchy and very spicy. I will order it again when I can enjoy a Marshall beer on tap.

I was surprised that they had a full liquor bar open on the first day. They had six beers on tap as well.

I liked it. The sandwich and side came to $10.30 with tax. That is more than I can spend each day for lunch, but not so much that I wouldn't go back just for the pastrami. The half sandwich and soup was only $8

The "Dan" is what I will order next time...turkey, ham, mortadella, salami and provolone served with Italian viniagrette on a hoagie bun for $9.50.

Power is nothing till you use it.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 08:20:48 am »

We went last night.

Randy had the Mondy -- grilled chicken, peanut butter, sprouts...don't know what else -- he loved it. Had the Thai Peanut Slaw with it.

I had the Molly's Rueb (was it Molly? Not sure now). A classic Reuben. It was awesome. The meat piled high, the bread a marble rye and the dressing, Russian as it should be. I could only eat half of it.

They need to do something to look more "open" at night. The windows are dark and it's hard to tell that it is, indeed, open. Also, I felt like the menu was difficult to read. The background too dark - not enough contrast with the type.

Enjoyed the atmosphere, checked out the Bocce area...looking forward to that. We'll definitely go back. In fact, have plans for lunch there this week.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 09:54:00 am »

Also, I felt like the menu was difficult to read. The background too dark - not enough contrast with the type.

We pointed that out to our waitress. We didn't have an overhead light so you had to turn it a certain way to read it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org