A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:52:22 am
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Rose wins Rivers Edge Location...  (Read 102089 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #165 on: December 14, 2010, 12:22:30 pm »

Do you have a particular choice or just not blue?

Green is close to blue (ROY G BIV), might be interesting and less damaging.  I am not fond of the orangish street lights. Red might be OK but it's getting in the difficult to see range if I remember correctly from B&W film darkroom days. Yellowish would kind of match incandescent lighting and not be too interesting.  I would say street light orange would not be interesting either.

If you were lighting in an environmentally conscious way, the trick would be to avoid colors associated with dawn for any all-night lighting.
The bluish hues of dawn are what resets the body's clock and stops the production of melatonin.
That being said, warmer colors are less likely to adversely affect the rhythms of animals and people.

Aesthetically, blue is interesting at night highlighting features, but areas washed in blue are cold and uninviting.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #166 on: December 14, 2010, 02:28:58 pm »

"Black" light is really UV, kind of a deep violet.  Maybe some non-combusted particles above the aqueous surface would be appropriate.

They could just paint the bridge with that glow in the dark paint.  Then it would just fade away in the night.

Why do we have to light the bottom of a bridge anyway? 

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #167 on: December 14, 2010, 02:30:31 pm »

They could just paint the bridge with that glow in the dark paint.  Then it would just fade away in the night.

So the hobos can find their crack pipes and pints?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacks fan
« Reply #168 on: December 14, 2010, 02:32:49 pm »

+1
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #169 on: December 14, 2010, 02:42:51 pm »

. . .in that case we should just heat the bottom of the bridge too.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #170 on: December 14, 2010, 02:45:24 pm »

. . .in that case we should just heat the bottom of the bridge too.

Nope, I draw the line at lighting only, no heat.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #171 on: December 14, 2010, 02:47:27 pm »

Nope, I draw the line at lighting only, no heat.

You're right.  That would encourage them to be more homeless!

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #172 on: December 14, 2010, 04:25:55 pm »

There are no plans (that I know of) to do it, I just think it's a cool idea and something that would be highly visible from the Blue Rose and any future development on the west bank.  OKC had OG+E install lights on the Byers bridge near downtown, it looks awesome at night.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2010, 07:28:26 am »

There are no plans (that I know of) to do it, I just think it's a cool idea and something that would be highly visible from the Blue Rose and any future development on the west bank.  OKC had OG+E install lights on the Byers bridge near downtown, it looks awesome at night.

Yeah. . .I don't see that ending well.

I'll check back in a few years.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #174 on: December 15, 2010, 08:54:46 am »

Yeah. . .I don't see that ending well.

I'll check back in a few years.

I'm thinking that might cause a few OCD cranksters to lean over and fall to their deaths if we did that here.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #175 on: December 15, 2010, 09:14:23 am »

I'm thinking that might cause a few OCD cranksters to lean over and fall to their deaths if we did that here.

I'd just like a guarantee that it will function with the same unfaltering reliability as the lighting on the Expo building has. Shocked

Bridges are a maintenance nightmare.  Tulsa has an excellent track record of maintaining them (sarcasm).  I don't think it's a good idea to complicate the matter. 

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #176 on: December 15, 2010, 09:30:37 am »

I'd just like a guarantee that it will function with the same unfaltering reliability as the lighting on the Expo building has. Shocked

It didn't help that the county contracted with a company that BK'd soon after the lights were installed.  Well vetted apparently.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #177 on: December 15, 2010, 11:22:18 am »

Bridges are a maintenance nightmare.  Tulsa has an excellent track record of maintaining them (sarcasm).  I don't think it's a good idea to complicate the matter. 

Is the Expo, er QT Center not lighted anymore?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #178 on: December 15, 2010, 01:28:28 pm »

Is the Expo, er QT Center not lighted anymore?

As far as I can tell the lights are there but inoperable and too expensive to repair.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #179 on: December 15, 2010, 02:02:27 pm »

As far as I can tell the lights are there but inoperable and too expensive to repair.

4toFix $$$ well spent?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org