A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:51:34 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma House Votes to Throw Out Minor Offending Illegals  (Read 13877 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: March 11, 2009, 03:11:17 pm »

90-0.  Good riddance:

http://www.kswo.com/Global/story.asp?S=9983562

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 03:16:56 pm »

More pandering, I see.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 03:31:00 pm »

More pandering, I see.

Got it. You support using our tax dollars and jail space for illegals. I guess this is even more pandering. Voter ID is moving forward:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20090311_298_0_OKLAHO123585

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 03:43:08 pm »

Got it. You support using our tax dollars and jail space for illegals. I guess this is even more pandering. Voter ID is moving forward:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20090311_298_0_OKLAHO123585

Rep. Steve Martin, R-Bartlesville, said he believes voter fraud was probably responsible for President Barack Obama's election last November.

"Some people say the 2000 election might have been stolen," said Martin. "I'm not sure that didn't happen in 2008."

freaking wow
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 03:46:26 pm »

It's pandering because we're talking about 511 people. A person is trying to make a name for himself over what amounts to a non-issue instead of tackling things that actually matter.

Edited to add: And the voter ID thing is supremely stupid. Don't you have to provide evidence of your identity when you register? I seem to remember doing so, but I could be remembering the procedure in Arkansas.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 03:48:17 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 06:02:43 pm »

It's pandering because we're talking about 511 people. A person is trying to make a name for himself over what amounts to a non-issue instead of tackling things that actually matter.

Edited to add: And the voter ID thing is supremely stupid. Don't you have to provide evidence of your identity when you register? I seem to remember doing so, but I could be remembering the procedure in Arkansas.

So, the entire Oklahoma House is pandering. Okay.

As far as the statute being "supremely stupid", I think you do not know what fraud this statute is designed to combat. Presently, I can go to your precinct and tell the worker that I am nathanm and vote because they do not ask for ID. I can also bop around as many precincts that I can on election day doing the same thing. All one has to do is look at the voter sheet, find a name without a check mark, and say you are that person without a check mark (and hope the poll worker does not know that person).

Chicken Little
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 06:26:59 pm »

As far as the statute being "supremely stupid", I think you do not know what fraud this statute is designed to combat. Presently, I can go to your precinct and tell the worker that I am nathanm and vote because they do not ask for ID. I can also bop around as many precincts that I can on election day doing the same thing. All one has to do is look at the voter sheet, find a name without a check mark, and say you are that person without a check mark (and hope the poll worker does not know that person).
Who would do that?  Nobody does that; this is very unserious legislation.  What is our legislature doing to address:  a $900 billion deficit; life expectancy 44th; persons below poverty level 44th; persons with bachelor's degree or higher 39th; teacher salaries 47th; per capita energy consumption 39th; violent crime rate 33rd; per capita income 33rd; or infant mortality 39th?   
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 10:35:16 pm »

If they want to check ID, the ID they check should be the voter registration card. Leaving out 2% of the state's population because they don't have a government issued photo ID is supremely stupid. Especially when combating yet another nonexistent problem that the Republican party is using to keep people from the polls.

And the pandering regarding the bill about illegals? It's the people who sponsored the bill who are the ones doing the real pandering. The rest are just glomming onto an issue that the Republican party is using to rile people up. Still bad, but not nearly as much as the people wasting their time drafting the bill in the first place.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 07:48:48 am »

I really don't get the problem with checking ID to vote.  Am I missing something?  It is a non-intrusive way of making sure the person voting is who they say they are.

A voter registration card isn't an ID.   It is a piece of paper with a name on it.  It has no useful benefit in actually identifying the person (ie.  if I took your voter registration or printer one out from my computer the attendant would have no way of knowing it was a fake).  [I have the same problem using SS cards as "ID."  It doesn't identify anyone.  A pool pass does a better job.]

And why would it keep people from the polls?  Every Oklahoma resident is entitled to have an Oklahoma ID.  Driving or otherwise.  It would seem a miner inconvenience to get an ID in exchange for a vote.  Or include a picture or at least a description on the voter registration.  Something.

And I'm not arguing it IS a major problem.  Just that the potential exists.  As it stands, I could easy go vote for my wife or several other people in town.  I know where they live, their name, and their registered affiliation.  Nothing to stop me from going to their polling place and voting for them (particularly when I know most of them don't vote in off season elections).   The remedy for that potential problems seems simple and non-intrusive, even to the 2% that don't have an ID (and probably don't vote anyway).

There has to be a way to calm these concerns while not depriving people of the right to vote or making it too difficult of a task.  Of course, IMHO, if you don't care enough to take part of a lunch to get an ID to vote you probably don't care enough to look into the issues and I'm happy to see you not vote.  I don't buy into the "everyone should vote" thing.  If you are uninformed, I'm happy to see you stay at home.  But that doesn't mean I want voting to be a pain in the neck or confusing.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 08:01:51 am »

Just as long as you didn't have to pay for the ID. 
Hometown
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 08:39:05 am »

Now why would Oklahoma want to order that all homosexuals wear pink arm bands, errrr, I mean why would Oklahoma vote to exterminate gypsies, wait, wrong issue, I mean, why would Oklahoma want to expel minor immigrants?

Have you ever noticed that most of our legislators wear cheap suits, have a mean streak a mile long and would do anything to get re-elected?

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 09:19:59 am »

You have to have a DL# or last four of your social to sign up for your voter registration card:
http://www.ok.gov/~elections/vrform.pdf

However, I have never been asked for a voter registration card and could be voting for someone who died 20 years ago for all my poll knows. I personally believe everyone (at least every adult) needs a valid state-issued photo id. You can write a check, apply for a loan or any other major transaction without it and we don't want people carrying their SS card around during the current age of identity theft.

Make "registered voter" a checkbox on the oklahoma ID and quit issuing those crappy paper cards.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 09:39:31 am »

You have to have a DL# or last four of your social to sign up for your voter registration card:
http://www.ok.gov/~elections/vrform.pdf

However, I have never been asked for a voter registration card and could be voting for someone who died 20 years ago for all my poll knows. I personally believe everyone (at least every adult) needs a valid state-issued photo id. You can write a check, apply for a loan or any other major transaction without it and we don't want people carrying their SS card around during the current age of identity theft.

Make "registered voter" a checkbox on the oklahoma ID and quit issuing those crappy paper cards.

Interesting; last general election EVERYONE was being asked for their voter cards.  It made some people mad at my precinct that they were being asked for them (obviously because they didnt' have them).  No voter card, you didn't vote.

Why they don't do that as a matter of course I don't know.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 01:41:26 pm »

Who would do that?  Nobody does that; this is very unserious legislation.  What is our legislature doing to address:  a $900 billion deficit; life expectancy 44th; persons below poverty level 44th; persons with bachelor's degree or higher 39th; teacher salaries 47th; per capita energy consumption 39th; violent crime rate 33rd; per capita income 33rd; or infant mortality 39th?   

Oklahoma has a $900 billion dollar deficit?

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 03:30:38 pm »

Interesting; last general election EVERYONE was being asked for their voter cards.  It made some people mad at my precinct that they were being asked for them (obviously because they didnt' have them).  No voter card, you didn't vote.

Why they don't do that as a matter of course I don't know.
Interesting. Is your precinct heavily Democratic or something?

Down in the southern wasteland I walked in, claimed to be who I really am and voted. (after effing up a ballot and getting a new one..it was one of those days)

In Arkansas a few years ago they implemented a new requirement that you have to either show ID or another proof of identity (basically any bill or document from the government with your name on it) either at the time of registration or the first time you vote. After that, you can vote with or without ID, although they do mark "No ID" next to your name in the big book if you don't have your registration card or your ID with you when you vote.

That seems reasonable to me. An ID requirement each time you vote is unreasonable and mainly serves to prevent the poor from voting.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org