A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:03:04 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bill Maher @ the Brady  (Read 12960 times)
Gold
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 12:23:14 pm »

I thought it was OK.  The crowd was pretty rude; not sure if that's the alcohol or that Brady brings out the worst in our crowds.  Maher was interupted a couple of times by idiotic comments.  The people sitting near me said some ridiculous things as well, from a guy who seemed shocked by Maher's political leanings (don't go to the car race if you don't like cars) to the obese woman next to me who had her fat rolling over into my seat.

My experience is that Brady is generally a pretty lame venue.  The Ryan Adams show awhile back was incredible (as discussed on this board), but other shows over the years have been ruined by idiotic crowds, from people interupting to Tom Waits last year (when Tom Waits tells you to stop, please stop) to the Morissey show, many years ago, ending early because idiots kept jumping onto the stage to hug him.  Something about it encourages people to get a little to rowdy, often beyond what the particular artist can work with.

Meanwhile, I go to Cain's generally expecting chaos and it never lets me down.  I've never seen anything there fall completely apart, or at least in a way that wasn't part of the show. 

As for Maher, I thought he did a pretty decent job.  He is definitely more of a humorist than political thinker.  I'm sort of scratching my head as to how he got to Tulsa, OK on a Saturday night when his tv show is in season.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 12:32:33 pm »

As for Maher, I thought he did a pretty decent job.  He is definitely more of a humorist than political thinker.  I'm sort of scratching my head as to how he got to Tulsa, OK on a Saturday night when his tv show is in season.
Rerun this week. He was in KC Friday night. Not that they don't have airplanes that can fly from LA to Tulsa in a few hours. Wink

I thought he handled the hecklers pretty well. Overall, it was certainly worth the money, IMO. As I've said before, I may not agree with him on everything, but he is funny, and he does almost always have a reasoning behind his opinion that so many lack that I find it hard not to have at least some respect for his point of view even when I think he's wrong.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
FOTD
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 08:14:05 pm »

I thought it was OK.  The crowd was pretty rude; not sure if that's the alcohol or that Brady brings out the worst in our crowds.  Maher was interupted a couple of times by idiotic comments.  The people sitting near me said some ridiculous things as well, from a guy who seemed shocked by Maher's political leanings (don't go to the car race if you don't like cars) to the obese woman next to me who had her fat rolling over into my seat.

My experience is that Brady is generally a pretty lame venue.  The Ryan Adams show awhile back was incredible (as discussed on this board), but other shows over the years have been ruined by idiotic crowds, from people interupting to Tom Waits last year (when Tom Waits tells you to stop, please stop) to the Morissey show, many years ago, ending early because idiots kept jumping onto the stage to hug him.  Something about it encourages people to get a little to rowdy, often beyond what the particular artist can work with.

Meanwhile, I go to Cain's generally expecting chaos and it never lets me down.  I've never seen anything there fall completely apart, or at least in a way that wasn't part of the show. 

The Brady is a great venue. Over the years, this devil has seen and heard tremendous stuff there. From Joe Cocker Mad Dogs and Englishmen to Dylan to The Kinks to Traffic to far too numerous to list, this venue needs and deserves our support. The owner loses money to keep Tulsa Municipal Theatre alive. The sound is far superior to the ballroom.

Funny you mention Ryan Adams. Tenth row center and there are three messed up "dudes" ruining the show for us demons sitting around them. Crowds today suck compared to those in the 60's and 70's who went for the experience of feeling and participating in the vibe. Alcohol has a huge effect on individuals and it spills all over our feet and our souls. Back in the daze, no booze was allowed in rock and roll shows.

Maher handled the drunx exquisitely and made them look like the fools they were. Too bad nobody had the balls to fire some up....he'd probably have stopped the show for a hit.....

* 143172.jpg (16.29 KB - downloaded 497 times.)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org