A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:41:30 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boren 1st to oppose Employee Free Choice  (Read 14740 times)
Chicken Little
« on: March 07, 2009, 10:38:22 am »

Blue-Dog Rep. Dan Boren (Kinda D-OK) Becomes First Democrat to Declare Opposition to Employee Free Choice Act

Unions can be formed through secret ballot or majority sign up (a.k.a. card check).  Both methods have been used for decades.  Interestingly, the NLRB will only certify unions formed through secret ballots, and companies can, and sometimes do, refuse to negotiate with union formed through majority sign up.

The Employee Free Choice Act would require the ULRB to certify both secret ballot and majority card count.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 11:35:53 am by Chicken Little » Logged
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 02:09:12 pm »

Blue-Dog Rep. Dan Boren (Kinda D-OK) Becomes First Democrat to Declare Opposition to Employee Free Choice Act

Unions can be formed through secret ballot or majority sign up (a.k.a. card check).  Both methods have been used for decades.  Interestingly, the NLRB will only certify unions formed through secret ballots, and companies can, and sometimes do, refuse to negotiate with union formed through majority sign up.

The Employee Free Choice Act would require the ULRB to certify both secret ballot and majority card count.

Well, what's your position on card check?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
HazMatCFO
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 02:19:35 pm »

Based upon what I read in this seaction of the bill that was voted down in 2007, I am definitely against it.

(6) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, whenever a petition shall have been filed by an employee or group of employees or any individual or labor organization acting in their behalf alleging that a majority of employees in a unit appropriate for the purposes of collective bargaining wish to be represented by an individual or labor organization for such purposes, the Board shall investigate the petition. If the Board finds that a majority of the employees in a unit appropriate for bargaining has signed valid authorizations designating the individual or labor organization specified in the petition as their bargaining representative and that no other individual or labor organization is currently certified or recognized as the exclusive representative of any of the employees in the unit, the Board shall not direct an election but shall certify the individual or labor organization as the representative described in subsection (a).

Maybe the version being proposed for 2009 is different, I just don't see it anywhere and appreciate a link if someone has a more current version.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-800
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 05:19:33 pm »

Based upon what I read in this seaction of the bill that was voted down in 2007, I am definitely against it.

(6) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, whenever a petition shall have been filed by an employee or group of employees or any individual or labor organization acting in their behalf alleging that a majority of employees in a unit appropriate for the purposes of collective bargaining wish to be represented by an individual or labor organization for such purposes, the Board shall investigate the petition. If the Board finds that a majority of the employees in a unit appropriate for bargaining has signed valid authorizations designating the individual or labor organization specified in the petition as their bargaining representative and that no other individual or labor organization is currently certified or recognized as the exclusive representative of any of the employees in the unit, the Board shall not direct an election but shall certify the individual or labor organization as the representative described in subsection (a).

Maybe the version being proposed for 2009 is different, I just don't see it anywhere and appreciate a link if someone has a more current version.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-800
What exactly is wrong with that?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 06:17:06 pm »

What exactly is wrong with that?

I will not presume to answer for HazMat, but I suspect that his concern (which I share) is the end of private, behind the curtain voting. As I understand "card check", union organizers can approach workers, have them sign authorizations, and once the majority of workers authorize the union then that ends the process. My concern is that union thuggery will force workers that may not want to unionize to do so because it's all out in the open.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 06:31:43 pm »

I will not presume to answer for HazMat, but I suspect that his concern (which I share) is the end of private, behind the curtain voting. As I understand "card check", union organizers can approach workers, have them sign authorizations, and once the majority of workers authorize the union then that ends the process. My concern is that union thuggery will force workers that may not want to unionize to do so because it's all out in the open.
Perhaps the correct response would be to work to punish those who commit "union thuggery."

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 06:35:30 pm »

Perhaps the correct response would be to work to punish those who commit "union thuggery."

What's wrong with keeping voting private? We have been doing that as a nation for two hundred plus years. Also, keeping voting private will forego the need about worrying about card check-related union thuggery.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 07:10:18 pm »

What's wrong with keeping voting private? We have been doing that as a nation for two hundred plus years. Also, keeping voting private will forego the need about worrying about card check-related union thuggery.
It should be easy to unionize however a group of people wants to. People shouldn't be forced to join the union, though. (nor should they be covered by the union contract if they don't)

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 07:36:55 pm »

It should be easy to unionize however a group of people wants to. People shouldn't be forced to join the union, though. (nor should they be covered by the union contract if they don't)

Stop the Presses!  I.....agree......with.....Nathann!

Chicken Little
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 11:41:50 pm »

Well, what's your position on card check?
It's been used to form unions since 1935.  Majority shows card...what's not to like about it?  Not honoring majority sign up is just obstructionism at best.
Hometown
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 01:27:23 pm »

I went through one of those secret votes in 1979 and the employer used the process to intimidate employees and discourage them from voting to bring in the union.  Among other tactics he had one lackey stand up in from the group, literally in tears, telling how she didn't want to the union because she was afraid she would lose her job.

I like the notion of a simple sign up process.  I'm pro-union.

I'm disappointed in Boren on this one, but otherwise think he is the best hope for Oklahoma Democrats.

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 01:37:40 pm »

"Card-Check" is bad news. That's a job killer. Employers will flee overseas. If more than 50% of the workers sign cards the union is in and the employer is stuck with a union or closes up shop and moves to China. No more voting for unions.. Another Obama job killer is "Cap & Trade" This is a bad one, it will not only strangle our economy, but run up the electric & heating bills 50-60 percent. As it goes everyone will get so many carbon credits (to fight global warming of course) if you use up all your points (credits) you can buy some more points off of someone else who has not used up their aloted points. This is a economy killer and Obama is pushing for it. The max. number of credits is capped, but you can trade/buy credits from others who have extras. Thus the name "cap & trade".. Angry

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 01:39:42 pm »

It's been used to form unions since 1935.  Majority shows card...what's not to like about it?  Not honoring majority sign up is just obstructionism at best.
Workers lose their right to vote on if they want a union or not that's what is wrong. Voting by signing a card is not really voting. Employers will flee overseas.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 01:50:47 pm »

"Card-Check" is bad news. That's a job killer. Employers will flee overseas. If more than 50% of the workers sign cards the union is in and the employer is stuck with a union or closes up shop and moves to China.
How is that different from a secret ballot? Basically what I'm reading is that you think unions in general are bad news, regardless of how workers decide to organize.

Chicken Little
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 02:27:18 pm »

Workers lose their right to vote on if they want a union or not that's what is wrong. Voting by signing a card is not really voting. Employers will flee overseas.
Oh, please...drop the fake concern.  Two minutes ago, when you said, "No more voting for unions...", you seemed a little less concerned about workers' rights. 

Why don't you just be honest, you're anti-union and you just LOVE obstructing workers.  Dump the lame talking point; majority card count IS voting.  That's not hard to understand. 

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 02:32:47 pm by Chicken Little » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org