A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:53:09 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 12044 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« on: March 04, 2009, 09:28:35 am »

I'm hearing nothing but negative reviews about this movie from some of the national movie critics.
If anyone does go and see this movie. Please post your thought's so I dont waste money taking the kid's who really want to see it.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 09:39:04 am »

I'm hearing nothing but negative reviews about this movie from some of the national movie critics.
If anyone does go and see this movie. Please post your thought's so I dont waste money taking the kid's who really want to see it.

You do realize it is rated R for the following:

Strong graphic violence, sexuality, nudity and language

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 09:42:57 am »

This is probably as dark as a superhero movie can get. Definitely don't take anyone who isn't adult or at least late teens.

I read sites and blogs by people who are very "OMG TEH WATCHMEN S DA BOM!" and I know the storyline. Frnakly I don't get the hype. If you want to get technical, it's about a bunch of vigilantes in reality.

For me there is too much {potentially) good action on the horizon to care about Watchmen:

GI Joe
Star Trek
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Monsters Vs Aliens

(all of these premiere in the next 4 months)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 09:48:54 am »

I always find that a negative review by the local critics = a must see movie!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 09:52:23 am »

Thanks guy's.
I had forgot about the R rating with all the hype they are throwing out there.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:57:09 am »

There was a lawsuit and settlement recently because they didn't really have rights to make a movie about the comic. I'm sure there is a more dire need for profit. Not to mention, it's the first big action movie this season and they are likely going to use this to predict how the summer goes.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 11:59:43 am »

According to the Kansas City Star whose critic gushed all over the movie. 

So it is with Zack Snyder’s big (2 hours 43 minutes), violent, beautiful, mind-blowing screen adaptation.

“Watchmen” is a thinking person’s comic-book movie, deconstructing the super-hero while balancing fantastic eye candy with complex philosophical musings — many of which don’t reveal themselves until hours or days after you’ve left the theater.

It’s visually and intellectually hot and emotionally cool. Many of my fellow reviewers see this as a near-fatal flaw. I would remind them that precisely the same thing can be said of “Citizen Kane,” which they often cite as the best American movie ever made.

I probably will not go see it, that is a long time.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 12:10:48 pm »

Also from the KC Star, Billy Crudup talks about his role in the movie

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/preview/story/1065589.html

“My younger brother was the big comic book fan in the family,” he said. “He was the person I relied upon for information about how influential and important Watchmen was to people who are really into comic books.

“I talked to him on the phone just after I was cast, and it became immediately apparent to me just how important this story is to lots of people. I realized I was suddenly in the big time.

“There’s a reason Alan Moore is regarded as a genius and Watchmen as something decades ahead of its time,” Crudup continued. “This is a post-superhero-movie superhero movie. Its deconstruction of superhero myths made me do a lot of thinking. Most superhero stories have people with special powers doing either good or evil. But Watchmen unfolds in a world where things are vastly more complicated.”

Crudup credits director Zack Snyder (“Dawn of the Dead,” “300”) with setting a tone that affected the entire production.

“Zack has the remarkable ability to gracefully juggle the hundreds of elements that go into a film like this. And he’s not afraid of unanswered questions. I think he saw himself as an agent of provocation, someone who enters into a dialogue rather than someone giving answers.

“I admire that. Of course I was infuriated when I was looking for answers about how to play Dr. Manhattan and he wasn’t connecting all the dots for me. But it forced me to go on my own search.”

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 11:17:07 am »

No 1 at the box office this weekend. Something like 53 million.
2 hours and 45 minutes you can never get back.

TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 11:40:40 am »

I went and saw it last night. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't recommend taking a young child to see it.

---Robert
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 03:52:30 pm »

I went and saw it last night. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't recommend taking a young child to see it.

Thanks.  I was waiting for a good review.  Saw Underworld last night.  Good for a creature flick.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 08:26:49 pm »

Thanks.  I was waiting for a good review.  Saw Underworld last night.  Good for a creature flick.

The first one or the most recent one?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 04:39:44 am »

The first one or the most recent one?

Most recent one.  Answers a lot of burning questions.  I was having a difficult time sleeping at night wondering what happened to that vampire dude to make him so mean to those werewolf dudes.  Turns out he just needs a big hug. 

Sorry if I ruined it. Shocked

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 05:30:02 am »

Most recent one.  Answers a lot of burning questions.  I was having a difficult time sleeping at night wondering what happened to that vampire dude to make him so mean to those werewolf dudes.  Turns out he just needs a big hug. 

Sorry if I ruined it. Shocked

Well I only saw the first one. It wasn't bad but pretty light on plot.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 06:28:07 am »

Well I only saw the first one. It wasn't bad but pretty light on plot.

Who needs plot when you have Kate Beckinsale in skin-tight vinyl?

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org