A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:32:40 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: City Councilor Suing Recall Petitioners?  (Read 11960 times)
pfox
Civic Leader

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 04:28:19 pm »

Criticism of Councilor Gomez is fine.  To criticize him for advocating for a part of his district that has been neglected for years is a bit absurd.  To answer Limabean, who suggested that he should only represent neighborhoods with people who "live there": Downtown's success is in every citizen's best interest, including those who live near it; who also happen to be, largely, the citizens of district 4.  Downtown has hundreds of businesses, most of the city of Tulsa's public gathering places, and is still the single largest concentration of jobs in ALL of Tulsa.  I'd say any councilor who was in district 4, and was not representing downtown, is not doing their job.

This should not be a question.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:30:42 pm by pfox » Logged

"Our uniqueness is overshadowed by our inability to be unique."
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 04:42:15 pm »

Agreed. I don't live in downtown Tulsa, but I live in District 4 and would be upset if my councilor didn't focus on improving downtown as well.

---Robert
DowntownNow
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 10:39:07 am »

I think the underlying question being asked is "does Councilor Gomez represent his entire district with a balance in mind?"  My answer would be "In my opinion, no."  I say this because while the revitalization of downtown should be important to all citizens that want a vibrant and thriving city, the rest of the community, its wants, needs and concerns, must also be addressed in equal fashion.  I have witnessed Councilor Gomez attend virtually every downtown meeting concerning what is going on within downtown but I can also say that meetings regarding things outside the IDL seem to lack his full attention. 

An example of the way I think Councilor Gomez thinks, in terms of representation, regards the discussion about the Ballpark Improvement District Assessment.  Councilor Gomez continually stated that 53% of downtown land owners were in favor of the ballpark.  This was his statement to media outlets, before the council and to the citizens.  The truth is more along the lines of 53% of the downtown land owners by square footage were in favor of the BID assessment, not 53% of the individual property owners.  The majority of square footage being held by donors, trustees and the City.   This was not a good representation of the best interests of the majority of his individual constituents and their stated concerns.

I think if you choose to run for office to become a City Councilor (the position itself is a thankless one and under paid in my opinion) then you should be ready to take and accept criticism, learn from it, adjust to it but always, always represent your constituents with honesty, integrity and time. - oh and not to mention transparency.  In some cases I believe he has neglected his constituents, hence the reason for the voiced concerns that we see day in and day out. 

In the end, the constituents of District 4 are the ones that voted him in and they are the ones he will have to answer to come election day.  The same goes for any City Councilor that his/her dristrict feels is ignoring their desires.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 11:25:29 am »

I like GtBynum... he twitters.
http://www.twitter.com/gtbynum
Limabean
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 02:33:06 pm »

Guido,

What did you mean by "welcome aboard"?
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 08:05:50 pm »

So I guess it's safe for Ms Hall to defragment her Hard Drive?   Cool

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org