A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:51:51 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $1.75 Trillion deficit?  (Read 5202 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« on: February 26, 2009, 09:23:06 am »

Obama's budget. This is hope and change we can believe in.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090226/D96JA8J83.html

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:28:07 am »

So you're surprised?  He's been saying this is what he was going to do for at least a week.

He's also planning to reduce it to an approx $500 billion deficit by the end of his term, and has shown how he plans to do that.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:41:46 am »

quote:
Originally posted by we vs us

So you're surprised?  He's been saying this is what he was going to do for at least a week.

He's also planning to reduce it to an approx $500 billion deficit by the end of his term, and has shown how he plans to do that.

Have you read this article?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123561551065378405.html?mod=rss_opinion_main

Also, do you blindly believe everything Obama says? He lied about accepting public campaign finance and lied about telecom immunity.

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 09:55:41 am »

quote:
Originally posted by guido911

quote:

Also, do you blindly believe everything Obama says? He lied about accepting public campaign finance and lied about telecom immunity.

I'm not blindly believing anybody.  He's making promises in front of the entire nation and will be held accountable for the success or failure of his plans.  Duh.  He's been working his a** off, and I like what he's suggesting.  I also believe he can do it.  And if he can't he'll do his damndest to get as close to his goal as possible.  

And if he doesn't, I won't vote for him next time.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:56:13 am by we vs us » Logged
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:18:03 am »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by guido911

quote:

I'm not blindly believing anybody.  He's making promises in front of the entire nation and will be held accountable for the success or failure of his plans.  Duh.  He's been working his a** off, and I like what he's suggesting.  I also believe he can do it.  And if he can't he'll do his damndest to get as close to his goal as possible.  

And if he doesn't, I won't vote for him next time.

No, WE will be held accountable if his plans fail. Is Obama going to pay us taxpayers back if he fails? The worst he gets is voted out.

In any case, the good news is that Obama will be vetoing the new $410M Omnibus spending bill. It has earmarks all over the place, including one of his own and several from his administration when they were in Congress.

http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?docID=news-000003061639

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:27:48 am »

Are you putting the blame entirely on this president?

And "He lied about accepting public campaign finance"...jebus, really?  Gonna pull that little cliché out of mothballs every so often for the next 8 years?
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 10:49:54 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Townsend

Are you putting the blame entirely on this president?

And "He lied about accepting public campaign finance"...jebus, really?  Gonna pull that little cliché out of mothballs every so often for the next 8 years?

It's his budget, correct?

As for the lie on public finance, how is that a cliche? It's a fact. In any case, we'll see how truthful he is on this earmark-laden bill that's coming down the pike.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 11:31:00 am »

Senator Inhofe was on KRMG this morning.  

He claims there's a half-truth in the claim on cutting the deficit as well.  Inhofe is claiming President Obama will only be drawing his own deficit down to $500 billion.  Apparently, It doesn't even begin to address the budget deficit that President Bush left him with.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 11:33:02 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Senator Inhofe was on KRMG this morning.  

He claims there's a half-truth in the claim on cutting the deficit as well.  Inhofe is claiming President Obama will only be drawing his own deficit down to $500 billion.  Apparently, It doesn't even begin to address the budget deficit that President Bush left him with.

That's how I perceived it as well.

Wilbur
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 05:13:21 pm »

Based on Obama's newest budget, which is estimated to be at $3.5 trillion dollars, then he halves that deficit by 2011, that is still $60 billion higher then the highest deficit Bush ever had.  Anyone want to bet it goes higher by 2011?

That $35,000 every man, woman and child already owes for our current debt is getting ready to go way up.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 08:12:18 am »

Wait.  I'm confused.  I heard on CNN this morning that he is cutting the deficit by $200,000,000,000.  What's this crap about cutting his "own" deficit by $200bil?   I must be dense because I really thought there was only one national deficit.

I'm not jumping all over the guy, he inherited a bad spot and I'll give him AT LEAST this budget free and clear to see what he can do. I just don't get the rhetoric if he isn't really cutting anything . . .

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 08:22:14 am »

Most news sources are reporting that he's going to slash THE deficit, not just HIS deficit, to $533 billion by 2013.  

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 12:45:15 pm »

All of that presumes, of course, that the economy manages to pick up by the end of his first term, which is not at all set in stone.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 02:02:20 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by nathanm

All of that presumes, of course, that the economy manages to pick up by the end of his first term, which is not at all set in stone.

Agreed.  There're no guarantees to any of this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org