A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:04:38 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the Creek ever be a non-toll road?  (Read 6598 times)
rwarn17588
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 08:55:43 am »

quote:
Originally posted by naenae42day

quote:
Originally posted by EricP

I'd rather pay the toll than deal with massive potholes, damaged guard rails gone unfixed, sudden decreasing radius turns with off-camber angles.... the only really bad part about the creek is the lack of center median which means the cops love to camp it.

I don't think the toll roads will ever go away, but I am curious about states that have managed to have good roads...and no tolls.  What do they know that OK doesn't?

Higher fuel taxes, and more population from which to generate them. Oklahoma has a double-whammy -- very low gax taxes, and a dinky population with a lot of real estate in which roads are needed.
dbacks fan
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 10:55:18 am »

Ding! Ding! Ding! Hoss and rwarn, nail on the head!
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 12:51:04 pm »

Oklahoma also has the misfortune of being geographically located in a climate zone that features the exact kind of weather conditions that do roads the most damage.

We can blame politicians all day, but we can't ignore the fact that our freezing and melting and freezing and melting and ice storms and 100 degree days cause more harm to our roads than politicians ever will.

Solution? Rail. Public Transit. More Turnpikes. Make it easy to not have a car and annoying to drive one and you'll begin to reverse our "car-centric" ways. We'll have nicer roads, more accessibility, and our public transit hubs and corridors will be appealing areas for economic development.

We can't get rid of our weather, but we can lessen its impact on our roads by lessening our dependence on cars.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 01:03:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by naenae42day

quote:
Originally posted by EricP

I'd rather pay the toll than deal with massive potholes, damaged guard rails gone unfixed, sudden decreasing radius turns with off-camber angles.... the only really bad part about the creek is the lack of center median which means the cops love to camp it.

I don't think the toll roads will ever go away, but I am curious about states that have managed to have good roads...and no tolls.  What do they know that OK doesn't?

I have been on Oklahoma toll roads that were full of pot holes and with ruff pavement, Kansas also has some bumpy toll roads too, so not all toll roads are well kept.. Michigan is NOT the only state with no toll roads, there are many states with no toll roads. Oklahoma's problem IMO is they have too many toll roads and most of them circle Tulsa. OKC has a free I-35 and I-40 Interstates. Tulsa has no free Interstate highways around the area. (The Tulsa interstate roads are free only inside the metro area, as soon as you leave the metro area the roads all go toll)I think Oklahoma should make at least I-44 free and keep the other roads as toll roads. At the very least I'd like to see I-44 free from Missouri to Tulsa, but even better I'd like I-44 free from Missouri to OKC. Getting rid of one or two toll roads would help alot IMO.[}:)]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Danny
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 04:13:55 pm »

first, to even call this a turnpike is a joke, the whole idea of a turnpike is to be able to travel long distances, at higher speeds,
the creek (for a large part) has an exit and entrance every mile, and is 65 mph, ist that just an interstate?
I myself, boycott the creek.
Sardonicus Rex
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 10:50:39 am »

Seems like I remember hearing once that another contributing factor is that Oklahoma diverts a surprising proportion of its gas tax revenue to non-transportation related issues.

Anybody know if I heard that correctly?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org