A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:36:09 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Crybaby" bridge near Bixby?  (Read 18521 times)
bugo
Civic Leader

« on: February 20, 2009, 12:53:58 pm »

I've heard some rumors of a bridge near Bixby called the "Crybaby" bridge.  Anyone know where this bridge is located?
unknown
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 01:17:28 pm »

Almost every city and small town claims to have one, but if you are that interested in finding it...search for urban myths and you will probably find it mentioned somewhere.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 01:24:19 pm »

Here's a video about it, apparently.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=10790209

I guess it really doesn't have anything to do with the bridge, but ahh, that's what I found.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 01:30:13 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

Here's a video about it, apparently.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=10790209

I guess it really doesn't have anything to do with the bridge, but ahh, that's what I found.

I was always told crybaby bridge was in West Tulsa on 33rd St between W 91st and W 101st.  But like the above person said, I think every city has one.

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
Aa5drvr
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 03:03:49 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crybaby_Bridge

They're everywhere! They're everywhere!
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 03:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by unknown

Almost every city...

Umm is Bixby really a "city"....
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 05:17:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by zstyles

quote:

Almost every city...

Yes. A small one but the form of gov't evidently qualifies it as a city.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 07:27:25 pm »

Yea, used to be you could tell a city from a town from a village from a hamlet... Then every conglomeration of people wanted to be a "city" because it sounded important. I always thought that a city was both the largest and most influential entity in an area. Around that would be smaller towns and villages. And an area that had a distinctly urban nature to it in comparison to other areas around it.

Tulsa would be the city, Bixby would be a town. Tulsa is the largest and most influential entity, and has, well, at least a little bit of an urban nature to parts of it lol. Bixby is distinctly suburban, not urban. Tulsa would be a very small city. If Bixby were a city, how would you classify it as to size? Microscopic? Nanoscale? Globally speaking, Tulsa would barely classify as a small city. There are villages in India larger than Tulsa lol.

And really, whats so wrong with being called a Town or a Village anyway? Plus, with just about everything now being called a city, it degrades that as any useful visual descriptor and becomes just whatever legal/government form the state decides to use to distinguish between a city or a town. What the heck use is that to the average person?

I guess that "legally" Bixby is a city due to the laws of Oklahoma. But in common usage terms, and as a visual descriptor, its not.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 07:32:21 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Aa5drvr
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 06:51:32 am »

You sound like a bunch of crybabies......

I cant recall, but what was the 61st and Mingo area called?  Was it Union Community?  

LOL that was just south of Alsuma, quite a bit south of Dawson.
waterboy
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 09:35:57 am »

Its interesting when Artist twists stuff to fit his internal belief structure. Not so interesting when others buy into it.

Incorporating into a city provides structure, authority, responsibility and direction that towns, villages, hamlets, communities etc. don't have. It also provides a channel for receiving funding from State and Federal agencies, including tax distributions, as well as private loans and grants.

Communities don't apply for city status because they think its cool or it makes them look big. Many towns prefer the anonymity and freedom from responsibility that un-incorporated areas enjoy. They only have to follow the loose supervision of county, state and federal officials. Of course those areas are often full of meth factories, open dumps, satellite dishes and septic tanks that leak into streams.

BTW, some folks refer to Tulsa as a town that thinks its a city. I'm one of them.

Note: Bixby and BA were incorporated as cities when the suburbs of Tulsa ended at 51st & Yale. Talk about influence of a city? The DX gas station at that corner had to offer free color TV in their lobby and gold plated gas pump handles to entice Tulsans out to visit.

To denigrate these two cities by referring to them as Tulsa suburbs is a distortion of historical fact into modern day perception. Unless you buy into that "perception is reality" viewpoint.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 09:58:51 am by waterboy » Logged
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 11:15:07 am »

quote:
Originally posted by zstyles

quote:

Almost every city...

As much as GlenPool is.[B)]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
waterboy
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 02:05:57 pm »

When's the last time you visited the city of Bixby or the city of Glenpool?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 09:31:08 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

As much as GlenPool is.[B)]

He's talking out his butt again.  Someone get this man a breath mint.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 11:24:28 am »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

When's the last time you visited the city of Bixby or the city of Glenpool?

Oh, but watch it, WB...he's coming to visit in the first week of March, so that will renew his "I think I know everything about the Tulsa Metro Area even though I haven't lived here in twenty years" mentality.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 11:41:54 am »

There are as many as five crybaby bridges in Oklahoma, according to this website:
http://theshadowlands.net/places/oklahoma.htm

But, the "real" one is near Kellyville:
http://www.sapulpadailyherald.com/local/local_story_304114528.html/resources_printstory

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org