A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:23:24 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: City Council Races  (Read 10229 times)
Limabean
« on: February 17, 2009, 05:50:30 pm »

Has anyone heard who is running for city council and who isn't?
blindnil
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 11:28:49 am »

The Tulsa World had a story about this recently and it indicated the only one on the fence is Martinson, who is considering a mayoral run. All the rest said they are running again.
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 11:39:13 am »

quote:
Originally posted by blindnil

The Tulsa World had a story about this recently and it indicated the only one on the fence is Martinson, who is considering a mayoral run. All the rest said they are running again.

LOL - not a chance.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
rwarn17588
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 11:49:24 am »

It seems Martinson damaged his chances with his intractable stance with the streets package.

But a lot could happen between now and Election Day to shore up his support. And he keeps squeaking by with electoral victories.  So I wouldn't count him out yet.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 12:22:57 pm »

Not that I'm incredibly relevant, but I do figure I'm an "average" citizen.  Martinson burned his bridges with a lot of GOP rank and file over the street package.  

The bridge piers were smashed when he refused to offer any solid fiscal numbers as to why the $400mm package was a rip-off vs. the $1.2B package- just allegories and hyperbole.  His comments since then about the people who supported the $400mm measure are reprehensible.

With a recession looming, there was no chance in hell of the larger package passing.  We need to be grateful we got what we did and offer the oversight to make sure the money is spent wisely.  Keeping a close eye on Public Works, instead of assuming everything is okay in that department would be a great first step.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 02:24:06 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Not that I'm incredibly relevant, but I do figure I'm an "average" citizen.  

The average American is 25 pounds overweight. I am finally above average in something.

Let me also take this opportunity to officially sate for the record that I am not a candidate for City Council. Not that I couldn't win. It is just that there is a fine line between having people follow you and having people chase you...and I don't run that fast.

Power is nothing till you use it.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 03:07:31 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

quote:

Not that I'm incredibly relevant, but I do figure I'm an "average" citizen.  

The average American is 25 pounds overweight. I am finally above average in something.

Let me also take this opportunity to officially sate for the record that I am not a candidate for City Council. Not that I couldn't win. It is just that there is a fine line between having people follow you and having people chase you...and I don't run that fast.

Your apathy is disurbing. Come on RM, we always need strong republican candidates.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Neptune
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 03:16:38 pm »

quote:

Not that I'm incredibly relevant, but I do figure I'm an "average" citizen.  Martinson burned his bridges with a lot of GOP rank and file over the street package.

If you know who Martinson is, you can't be an average citizen.

You can still be below average.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 03:32:59 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Neptune

You can still be below average.

Thanks for your permission, Nep.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
MDepr2007
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 07:09:31 pm »

I heard about these two birds running for city council
LongtimeTulsan
Citizen

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 12:47:08 am »

LOL -- I like it almost as much as Spiders on Drugs.

LongtimeTulsan
Citizen

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 12:49:58 am »

Probably some more out of work real estate agents. The city likes to stack the boards and commissions with them. Who else has that kind of time and can form financial alliances with Incog, TMAPC, BOA, Homebuilders... just to name a few.

When your decisions and your votes directly and or indirectly benefit you personally - I think there is an ethics issue.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 08:30:50 am »

Some 17yr old is running for Mayor I believe.
Limabean
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 08:15:51 am »

How many of the current city councilors have a real estate background?

I have heard the argument that the city needs real estate people in places of power because they know how to conduct business for the city of Tulsa.

If the boards are full of them, does the city council need to be as well?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 10:06:09 am »

Gomez is a realtor.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org