A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:05:28 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't let your D/L expire.........  (Read 9956 times)
peb
« on: February 17, 2009, 12:48:39 pm »

Jeez, and they wonder why people don't obey the laws.

Yeah, OK - it is MY responsibility to renew my license on time - like I can actually remember to do something that happens once evey 4 years.  So my license expires back in November and I try to renew it at the tag agent.  Nope!  Can't do it.  Got to go to the DPS with my birth certificate.  Why?  Did the one I had when I got my license expire?  Nope!  It's the law.  So I grab the birth certificate (that I got 32 years ago) and head to the DPS to renew my license.  Nope!  Can't do it.  My birth certificate was issued by a town and the state requires a STATE issued one that has an embossed seal.  I pointed out that my birth certificate had an embossed seal.  Nope!  Can't do it.  Got to be a STATE seal, not a town seal.  Cost of a replacement STATE birth certificate?  $58.00 (including $15.50 for overnight FedEx).  I guess the fact that we're in a recession hasn't registered with some echelons within state bureaucracies yet.

Go ahead - beat me up.  My own stupid fault for not renewing it on time (ya think they could maybe send out notices like they do on my car tags??).  But, Jeez - let's try and make it as difficult (and expensive) as possible to obey the law, huh?  Maybe I should just join the ranks of unlicensed drivers?  If I hadn't just sent off the payment, I could join the uninsured ranks, too??  Lotsa company......

I'd ask if they could possibly make it even more difficult but someone within the bureaucracy would see it and find a way so I ain't sayin' it. [Cheesy]

Anyway, be warned if your D/L has expired - renewal ain't the cake walk it used to be.

peb
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 01:03:26 pm »

The good everything-fearing people of the state of Okiehoma just want to make sure your'e not a Mexican.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 01:03:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by peb

Jeez, and they wonder why people don't obey the laws.

Yeah, OK - it is MY responsibility to renew my license on time - like I can actually remember to do something that happens once evey 4 years.  So my license expires back in November and I try to renew it at the tag agent.  Nope!  Can't do it.  Got to go to the DPS with my birth certificate.  Why?  Did the one I had when I got my license expire?  Nope!  It's the law.  So I grab the birth certificate (that I got 32 years ago) and head to the DPS to renew my license.  Nope!  Can't do it.  My birth certificate was issued by a town and the state requires a STATE issued one that has an embossed seal.  I pointed out that my birth certificate had an embossed seal.  Nope!  Can't do it.  Got to be a STATE seal, not a town seal.  Cost of a replacement STATE birth certificate?  $58.00 (including $15.50 for overnight FedEx).  I guess the fact that we're in a recession hasn't registered with some echelons within state bureaucracies yet.

Go ahead - beat me up.  My own stupid fault for not renewing it on time (ya think they could maybe send out notices like they do on my car tags??).  But, Jeez - let's try and make it as difficult (and expensive) as possible to obey the law, huh?  Maybe I should just join the ranks of unlicensed drivers?  If I hadn't just sent off the payment, I could join the uninsured ranks, too??  Lotsa company......

I'd ask if they could possibly make it even more difficult but someone within the bureaucracy would see it and find a way so I ain't sayin' it. [Cheesy]

Anyway, be warned if your D/L has expired - renewal ain't the cake walk it used to be.

peb

Been there and done that very recently.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Hometown
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 01:07:47 pm »

Wait til they pass the proposed voter id bill.  Voting not's going to be so easy either.  In fact a lot of elderly people probably won't even bother.  But I imagine that is the hoped for result of the bill since big turnouts favor Democrats.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 01:57:22 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

Wait til they pass the proposed voter id bill.  Voting not's going to be so easy either.  In fact a lot of elderly people probably won't even bother.  But I imagine that is the hoped for result of the bill since big turnouts favor Democrats.

Didn't the 2nd and 3rd highest turnouts elect Bush?
Hometown
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 02:46:30 pm »

I don't know sgrizzle.  I don't feel like looking it up.  But I do know this, Oklahoma should be moving towards expanding voter participation with Motor Voter laws, making it easier to participate instead of more difficult.  

But, no, we don't like voting in Oklahoma.  We like walking around with guns in holsters, like the old West, now that's something to bite into.  We're grownups around here.

When my partner was naturalized and handed his Citizenship Certificate the presiding judge told the assembled crowd that "no one will ever ask you for this certificate.  You are not required by law to carry or produce this certificate.  There are not degrees of citizenship in the United States."

Well I remembered that very clearly so it really jumped out at me when a highway patrol officer here in Tulsa asked my partner to produce his citizenship certificate to obtain a drivers license.  I thought, I'm not going to forget this.

But she's our state, right, and we love Oklahoma and we are going to get her whipped into shape.  We're going to civilize her.  

Grab your bonnet girl, we're going to the big city to get all civilized.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 02:48:19 pm by Hometown » Logged
Neptune
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 03:40:08 pm »

quote:

I don't know sgrizzle.  I don't feel like looking it up.  But I do know this, Oklahoma should be moving towards expanding voter participation with Motor Voter laws, making it easier to participate instead of more difficult.

Just to be clear, "Motor Voter" has been Federal Law since 1995.  Oklahoma complies, it doesn't have a choice about that particular matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Voter_Registration_Act_of_1993
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 04:45:29 pm »

This happened to a friend of mine about six months ago.  He either called or wrote Terrill's office and was told that this was NOT mandated as a part of HB-1804, that this was something the DOT had taken upon itself.

I don't know if Terrill was running for cover or if that is fact.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Miss Solemnis
Citizen

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 05:29:04 pm »

quote:

When my partner was naturalized and handed his Citizenship Certificate the presiding judge told the assembled crowd that "no one will ever ask you for this certificate.  You are not required by law to carry or produce this certificate.  There are not degrees of citizenship in the United States."

Yes, that's what they say, but yet my husband is required to produce his on a pretty regular basis.  And getting an Oklahoma driver's license was an absolute nightmare.  Before we married he'd lived in NYC his entire adult life and thus had no DL when he moved here.  Went to get one here, and of course they wanted the citizenship certificate along with other documents.  Went back with the requested documents and all hell broke loose.  He was naturalized at age 12 and thus his citizenship documents were completed by his mother.  As a child they used a shortened form of his American name.  So his citizenship certificate shows Korean name/William ("Billy")/last name.  All of his other legal documents - Social Security card, etc. - show Korean name/William/last name.  Since there was ("Billy") on the citizenship certificate but not on anything else, the DMV people just lost control of themselves, refused to accept any of his documents, and flagged his file.  It took a year and a half of constant battles to get him a DL here, with countless trips to the DMV, calls to our state rep for help (who was zero help), he was threatened with arrest, accused of fraud, and even had to travel to OKC to be interviewed by an OHP fraud investigator.  Trust me when I say he'll never let his DL expire here.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 10:54:12 pm »

quote:

And yet there are law enforcement people who will tell you with a straight face that you must carry "ID" at all times.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
altruismsuffers
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 03:44:55 am »

They are probably making it more difficult for you since OK would not pass the real ID act.  Don't worry they are still going to get there national ID one way or another.  On June 1st, 2009 there will be "new document requirements" making it easier to get home from Canada or Mexico.

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative

www.MYEXPANDEDMIND.com
Educate, Advocate, Disseminate
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 01:05:30 pm »

Recently, I was going through security at the airport, and the guy who checks ID said: "Don't forget to renew your license.  You're getting close."

I really appreciated that...b/c it would have been just like me to forget, and then buy an airplane ticket somewhere, and not be able to get through security b/c of an expired ID.

Why don't we get reminders in the mail?

On a funny note, when I moved back to Oklahoma after living out of state, I was surprised to discover that I had to re-take my drivers test.  Assuming that I knew how to drive, I didn't study for it.  I almost didn't pass b/c I didn't know the blood alcohol percentages for DUIs from DWIs, etc!  (It seemed like they asked a LOT of questions about DUIs and DWIs!)

(All I've ever needed to know is: "if you're drinking, arrange for a sober person to drive you home"... but this wasn't one of the multiple choice options!)
tshane250
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 04:49:34 pm »

quote:
Wait til they pass the proposed voter id bill. Voting not's going to be so easy either.

I dont' see what the big deal is about having to show your ID to vote.  That's how it was when I lived in Indiana.  It's the same routine as now, except you show your ID, big deal.  They provided IDs for free for low income people, so there's no hardship there.  Besides, you cannot LEGALLY. . . drive, rent an apartment, get a job, get a bank account, smoke, drink, fly, etc. without an ID, so why should you be able to vote?!?
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 07:12:18 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by tshane250

quote:
Wait til they pass the proposed voter id bill. Voting not's going to be so easy either.

I dont' see what the big deal is about having to show your ID to vote.  That's how it was when I lived in Indiana.  It's the same routine as now, except you show your ID, big deal.  They provided IDs for free for low income people, so there's no hardship there.  Besides, you cannot LEGALLY. . . drive, rent an apartment, get a job, get a bank account, smoke, drink, fly, etc. without an ID, so why should you be able to vote?!?

You can do almost all of those things without a state issued (or any) ID. It's gotten more difficult to fly, but that's about it.

ID requirements for voting are stupid. ID requirements for registration are ok by me if there are plenty of alternative means of identification, including a sworn statement by a third party with identification that you are who you say you are.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
peb
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 11:00:29 pm »

From today's Tulsa World:

Lawmakers OK driver's license renewal bill

By BARBARA HOBEROCK World Staff Writer
Published: 3/6/2009  2:27 AM
Last Modified: 3/6/2009  3:30 AM

OKLAHOMA CITY — The Oklahoma House of Representatives passed a measure Thursday aimed at making it easier to renew an expired driver's license.

House Bill 1092 by Rep. John Trebilcock, R-Broken Arrow, would allow people to use their expired licenses within 30 days to get a renewal.

Trebilcock said the state does not send a notice to license holders that their license is going to expire.

As a result, many people unintentionally let their licenses lapse, he said.

"Unfortunately, once your license has expired, you can't renew it unless you provide another form of identification, which is difficult for many people to obtain," he said.

"My legislation will simply provide an extra month for people to renew a license without having to obtain another identification."

Trebilcock said the issue came up more than any other during his last campaign.

HB 1092 passed 91-0.

It now heads to the Senate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And the comments to the article are full of praise for this legislation?Huh

Maybe I've spent too many years solving problems - it seems to me that if the state not mailing out notices that licenses are going to expire leads to people letting their licenses expire which leads to "difficulty" in obtaining the proper ID THE ANSWER IS NOT FOUND IN EXTENDING THE DEADLINE!

Here's a thought - why don't we sponsor legislation to raise the cost of license renewal, say $5 - maybe $10?, AND THEN GO BACK TO MAILING OUT THE NOTICES!!!!

Jeez, talk about a bandaid solution to a problem........

peb
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org