A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:57:42 am
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa World sues Bates  (Read 78234 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2009, 07:24:36 am »

I wonder if one of the terms of the settlement is that he never uses the term "Tulsa Whirled" again.
blindnil
« Reply #196 on: February 12, 2009, 07:56:12 am »

Looks like Bates had to post it on his blog as well. It's in the upper left-hand corner. That's a strongly worded letter.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #197 on: February 12, 2009, 09:00:28 am »

The tinfoil hat crowd has been busy already this morning on the World web site:

"If the Tulsa World wants to put a muzzle on Michael Bates, it must mean the Kaiser River Tax II ploy or equivalent is headed our way."

Glad that's settled Michael.  Minor bit of humiliation and move on with most of your bank account intact.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gold
« Reply #198 on: February 12, 2009, 09:21:47 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

The tinfoil hat crowd has been busy already this morning on the World web site:

"If the Tulsa World wants to put a muzzle on Michael Bates, it must mean the Kaiser River Tax II ploy or equivalent is headed our way."

Glad that's settled Michael.  Minor bit of humiliation and move on with most of your bank account intact.

This letter wasn't minor humiliation, unless you are as shameless as Paul Tay . . . and I'm not saying that Bates is not so shameless.  So much for the frivolity of these claims.   When does that wingnut from Slate retract his comments?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:22:35 am by Gold » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2009, 09:33:48 am »

Again Gold, a retraction and apology or settlement of any kind is not a ruling on the merits of the claim.

Bates is an independent local journalist.  His car has over 200,000 miles on it.  How much do you think the retainer would be to properly defend this action?  $10,000 at a bare minimum.  I'll let you do the math on that one.

As much as it sucks, most people would apologize instead of breaking open their IRA to defend a suit.  To protect my wife and child from total financial ruin I'd probably suck it up and retract any statement I made too - even if I thought what I said was accurate.  As you well know, even if Bates' version was correct he could still very well lose at trial.

I'm NOT saying that Bates version was correct as I have not spoken to him about this since he has had any real contact with the World (nor have I spoken with anyone of knowledge with the World).  It could very well be that they showed him data, told him was his data was wrong, or that he realized he was careless with his words.  I'm merely pointing out that a settlement of any kind is not an adjudication on the merits.

Devils advocate I suppose.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Gold
« Reply #200 on: February 12, 2009, 10:27:40 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

Again Gold, a retraction and apology or settlement of any kind is not a ruling on the merits of the claim.

Bates is an independent local journalist.  His car has over 200,000 miles on it.  How much do you think the retainer would be to properly defend this action?  $10,000 at a bare minimum.  I'll let you do the math on that one.

As much as it sucks, most people would apologize instead of breaking open their IRA to defend a suit.  To protect my wife and child from total financial ruin I'd probably suck it up and retract any statement I made too - even if I thought what I said was accurate.  As you well know, even if Bates' version was correct he could still very well lose at trial.

I'm NOT saying that Bates version was correct as I have not spoken to him about this since he has had any real contact with the World (nor have I spoken with anyone of knowledge with the World).  It could very well be that they showed him data, told him was his data was wrong, or that he realized he was careless with his words.  I'm merely pointing out that a settlement of any kind is not an adjudication on the merits.

Devils advocate I suppose.

Those are fair points, though I disagree to some extent; that's likely the only text we'll ever have on this matter and it's a doozie.  I'm also enjoying the irony of the idealogue throwing in the towel.  And I kind of think he had it coming.  

Like our criticism of Mr. Tay on here, I think there is a time and a place for being a gadfly for local politics.  Bates is a talented man, but I think he lets his personal peculiararities get in the way of encouraging useful, valuable change.  Bates has gone after some good, hard-working people over the years -- who do have the best intentions for our community -- without fully researching or contemplating the result of the change he proposed.  He often doesn't know what he's talking about.  Then again, that's what happens when you are handed a weekly column without much (or any) journalism training.

If you really want to create change on a local level, you've got to choose your battles wisely.  Bates was handed a small pulpit in small weekly paper.  Too often his writing seems mean-spirited and actually an attempt to cut down good people who only had the misfortune of being in a position of authority and made a decision that Bates didn't take the time to understand.  Tulsa has too many significant problems for us to get caught up in discussions of whether pro-choice politicians should serve in local level political office or for us to hear the regurgitated attack on Judge Wiseman that mostly arose because Bates appears to not understand how local court procedure works.  

There is a time and place to take an adversarial position.  You can't take an adversarial position on everything, all the while ignoring the significant local issues (JOBS!!!), and hope to accomplish anything, much less garner respect from people with a clue.  I think he had it coming and if it wasn't this deal, someone else was going to catch him.  Hopefully Bates turns over a new leaf and uses his talents more wisely; or perhaps he just rides off into the night on his blog.

And, face it, this is about as much enjoyment as we'll get out of the popcorn and beer mentioned earlier in the thread.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 10:29:00 am by Gold » Logged
AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #201 on: February 13, 2009, 10:06:21 am »

There is a difference between a blogger and a journalist. Posting innuendo on one's blog is one thing. Publishing an article as a paid journalist under the masthead of a weekly, advertiser-supported publication is quite another. If Bates made an error, it was forgetting this distinction.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #202 on: February 13, 2009, 12:39:19 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AVERAGE JOE

There is a difference between a blogger and a journalist. Posting innuendo on one's blog is one thing. Publishing an article as a paid journalist under the masthead of a weekly, advertiser-supported publication is quite another. If Bates made an error, it was forgetting this distinction.

For a second AJ, I thought it said "under the meathead..."

[Wink]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2009, 01:59:09 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by tim huntzinger

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

I wonder if one of the terms of the settlement is that he never uses the term "Tulsa Whirled" again.

I wonder if the Whirled knows the Weakly's talking points on the street include the notion that 'both backed down.'

Careful Tim, you might be the next victim of their bullying.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2009, 03:02:23 pm »

Timmy's not scared, he can take them.

(not actual photo)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org