A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:39:00 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: South Tulsa Small Area Workshop - Feb 23  (Read 7329 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: February 13, 2009, 10:55:43 am »

Another small area workshop will focus on the area around Southcrest Hospital (between 81st & 91st and Mingo & Garnett).

The Southcrest Small Area Workshop will be held on Monday, Feb 23 at the Union Public Schools Education Service Center.

More info: Go to the PLANiTULSA website
dsjeffries
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 12:05:58 pm »

You've got to be kidding me, uninteller. You would have known about the small area workshop if, say, you ever read emails from TulsaNow or signed up on PlaniTulsa's website, or watched the news, read the newspaper or engaged in any kind of conversation with people outside your home.

If you want to blame someone for YOUR scheduling problems, blame yourself. It's not anyone's fault but your own that you didn't know about it. I've known about the workshop for quite a while now, WITHOUT someone having to post it on a board for me.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:19:01 pm »

Sometimes it's tough to want to give certain people notice.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 02:20:33 pm »

Come on, it's obvious, they conpsired to keep inteller from showing up.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 02:58:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Come on, it's obvious, they conpsired to keep inteller from showing up.

Perhaps they were afraid he was going to immolate himself at the meeting.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 04:26:28 pm »

I go have to agree that the notice seems kinda short, but I'm not going either way. I recommend he send Mrs Inteller in his steed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 04:45:32 pm »

I registered for the TU area one, and I'm not going to snipe about the short notice, though I think a conspiracy is afoot...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Theron Warlick
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 02:58:13 pm »

This South Tulsa workshop location was finalized on Feb 3rd and online registration was posted the same day.

Time stamp from Southcrest registration page:  2009-02-03 21:25:33 -0600

Time stamp from TU registration page: 2009-02-03 21:15:17 -0600

Time stamp from Transit registration page: 2009-02-03 21:29:07 -0600

Hope you will be able to attend one or more of these workshops.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 03:09:17 pm by Theron Warlick » Logged
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 04:07:12 pm »

I think that news sources typically don't publicize things far in advance b/c they aren't considered "newsworthy" until they are imminent.  (Often they aren't reported at all until AFTER they've occured.)

The TulsaNow newsletter tends to send out info about a week in advance and then follows up with a last minute reminder.  Send out info too early, and nobody remembers!  (In this case, we sent out a "tickler" on 2/11/09 inviting people to sign up for all the small area workshops, and provided links to the PLANiTULSA website.)

I wish that more had been done to promote these workshops.  It is true that you can't expect folks to just check the PLANiTULSA website every day.  However, all the workshops have been well attended.  (The Hilcrest area workshop was packed!  They didn't get much advance notice either...about 100 people were signed up BEFORE the ice storm caused a delay.)    

In the case of south Tulsa, I think the PLANiTULSA folks even called city councillors to get them to encourage participation in their districts.  Not sure why South Tulsa is disengaged.  

Even if you don't live near Southcrest, you are probably interested in how residential can co-exist with high-intensity commercial corridors.  This is an issue throughout Tulsa.  I would encourage anyone with an interest in making Tulsa more livable to show up and participate!

MichaelBates
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 10:00:50 am »

From the January 21, 2009, issue of Urban Tulsa Weekly:

quote:

The final two small-area workshops will happen in late February. One will focus on the area around Southcrest Hospital at 91st and US 169. That developing part of southeast Tulsa has seen a number of recent zoning controversies.

From the February 11, 2009, issue of Urban Tulsa Weekly:

quote:

Mon., Feb. 23, Southcrest area (76th to 91st St., and from west of Mingo Road to Garnett Road), Union Public Schools Education Service Center, 8506 E. 61st St.

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 01:32:06 pm »

Thanks, MB, for keeping PLANiTULSA on everyone's radar.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 02:02:47 pm »

People submitted proposals for small area workshops from around town.  Offhand, I can't remember if anyone submitted anything for consideration further than 91st south.  

Not that it matters. Here's why:

The goal of the small area workshops was to find solutions to common issues and problems.  Basically, they allowed citizens to study representative areas, and  create solutions that can be applied to similar situations throughout town.

The Southcrest area was chosen b/c of all the divisive/contentious zoning decisions that have been coming up recently in that area.  It also seemed representative of other areas in south Tulsa where intensive commercial corridors are located close to residential areas as well as undeveloped land.  

I wish that more south Tulsans had deigned to participate.  Perhaps more outreach was needed to pierce the south Tulsa bubble.  

One has to wonder why other workshops were better attended...especially in far more economically disadvantaged areas.  We've seen a variety of folks at the workshops, from struggling single moms, to people who took the night off work to be there, to college students, emmpty nesters, retirees, young professionals, neighborhood activists, parents who paid babysitters in exchange for an evening of civic engagement...

Maybe we missed the "ladies who lunch."  Or perhaps south Tulsans are content with things just the way they are?  Or they didn't understand that it doesn't have to be exactly in your own backyard before you should care.

I guess we've discovered a new acronym for lack of civic participation: NIINIMBY: "Not if it's not in my backyard."
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 02:03:46 pm by PonderInc » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org