A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:46:29 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mayoral re-election campaign  (Read 6850 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: February 10, 2009, 02:58:41 pm »

The comments to the different local news agencies reporting on this are weighing heavily on the "I'm not satisfied with her performance" side.

Opinions here about her vs her possible opponents?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 02:59:07 pm by Townsend » Logged
Neptune
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 03:18:53 pm »

Loud mouths don't equal a majority.  That's my motto.

It's hard to tell what the odds on Taylor are.  On the one hand, the GOP-insurgent types don't seem to have the ammunition that they had against their own.  On the other hand, a long series of victories has desensitized me to local politics and I couldn't possibly care less.

I think Taylor has done an acceptable job.  I also thought LaFortune did an acceptable job.  The key is, whether or not the GOP gutter-snipes get mainstream traction.  They did against LaFortune, and it caused his defeat.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 03:39:10 pm »

I don't know everybody, but I would say 95% of the people I do know like her. This includes many republicans.

It is extremely hard to beat a likable incumbent who easily raises the money for a campaign.

Why would anybody try?

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gold
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 04:18:18 pm »

Tough year to raise political money.  KT has friends from a lot of different local political constituencies that will support her.  The people who don't like her don't have very good odds, even if they could get the money.

Local news site comments are not much of a source.  Some real fools on there, especially the TW site.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:19:27 pm by Gold » Logged
waterboy
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 07:00:01 pm »

I was surprised at the showing that Bell made in the county race. KT may have a tough time with them as well. What was that phrase 'pubs used with W the second time around? Oh, yeah, something about not changing horses in midstream...
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 02:14:37 am »

Truthfully I would for for her again, she hasn't done as bad a job as some of the louder people have said.

Thank you,
Robert Town
Chicken Little
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 07:52:33 am »

Thread Comments?  Really?

From a November Tulsa World article:

quote:
Of the 503 likely Tulsa voters surveyed Oct. 24-26, just over 60 percent said Mayor Kathy Taylor is doing a good job. That's up six percentage points from a year ago, the last time a Tulsa-only sample was asked to evaluate Taylor's performance.

You can debate the effect that the recent scandals have had since November, but PLEASE don't try to argue that the loudmouths who post here and on the Tulsa World website are representative of Tulsa.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 07:53:22 am by Chicken Little » Logged
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 08:57:32 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Chicken Little

You can debate the effect that the recent scandals have had since November, but PLEASE don't try to argue that the loudmouths who post here and on the Tulsa World website are representative of Tulsa.

It's true that most of those whose comments are worth listening to have better things to do than post in the comments section of the newspaper.

---Robert
MDepr2007
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 07:44:38 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TURobY

quote:

You can debate the effect that the recent scandals have had since November, but PLEASE don't try to argue that the loudmouths(including me)[Wink] who post here and on the Tulsa World website are representative of Tulsa.

It's true that most of those whose comments are worth listening to have better things to do than post in the comments section of the newspaper.

Kinda like here too [Cheesy]
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 11:44:20 pm »

Who are the Republicans planning to run? Martinson might want to re-think his mass poplularity (or lack thereof) after going for a tax grab about four times as large as the one Randi Miller tried to con us out of for the river.  He can't even explain to anyone what was so bad about the $400mm street plan other than some stupid allegories to make us feel like drunken idiots for not blindly following his logic that we really need $1.2 mm to fix our streets.

Seems he and some of his collegues on the council want to press harder for some circle-jerk audit of the fire department falsifying training records as a deflection for them still not seeing any merit in a pubic works audit.  

For some reason, knowing "hard working" people in public works seems to make them believe there's no other patterns of corruption in PW.  Say, isn't that pretty much what Paul Zachary was saying about being totally blinded by his buddy Martinez?

How many people have been harmed by firefighters falsifying training records over the years?  Not many.

There's far bigger problems in that department and far bigger rip-offs are going on in city gov't that some of your councilors are either protecting or are being totally glib about.

I think the Mayor has acted appropriately in each situation with these scandals.  Where she gained respect with me was the day after the river tax vote when she said something along the lines of "The people have spoken, we've got more important things to do than to linger on this, let's get on to more important things."  

I thought that showed a ton of class and acceptance of her responsibilities as a leader of a representative democracy.

(edit: should be $1.2 bln not $1.2mm)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:46:13 am by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 09:47:05 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:

Thread Comments?  Really?

From a November Tulsa World article:

quote:
Of the 503 likely Tulsa voters surveyed Oct. 24-26, just over 60 percent said Mayor Kathy Taylor is doing a good job. That's up six percentage points from a year ago, the last time a Tulsa-only sample was asked to evaluate Taylor's performance.

OMG you are going to bring that stupid survey back up?  503 people is NOT a statistically signifigant sample size.  as one person has already joked, that could have been 500 people she knows.

Actually, that is a "statistically" significant sample.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org