A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:48:45 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arena Location Downtown  (Read 5862 times)
swake
T-Town Elder

« on: April 04, 2005, 12:29:55 pm »

Here is a great shot of the arena downotown and how it relates to the surrounding area.

The location does end up better than I had feared.

First, the best thing about the location is that it is less than three blocks from the Mayo to the arena.  There are several parking garages within two or three blocks of the arena already and the Crowne Plaza Hotel is only three blocks away. Also, the newly redone Main St is only three blocks away. It is on the other side of main from the Blue Dome district but still is only five blocks from that area. Bad news is that the arena will be in a particularly ugly part of downtown. It’s going to take a lot of redevelopment to change that.

There are at least two sides of the site that are not likely to change any time soon. The federal building to the south covers both blocks and the buildings on the west don’t look like the kind that would sell out anytime soon. To the north there is some potential but eastern block of these two is the Sheriffs office and that’s not going anywhere. Maybe that will calm any fears of crime however. The other block to the north is warehouse space, but the block is so small and borders the rail lines so it’s not a very good redevelopment target either.

That leaves the two city blocks that border the arena to the east. These are both prime for redevelopment. The southern block has only two smaller buildings and is just mostly surface parking and is easily redeveloped. The other block is the BOK autobank and if I were a friendly bear, I would say that part two of the payoff to George Kaiser is the ability to sell this property for a profit to someone wanting to build a hotel or something. I’m not saying that, but that autobank is very old, not used very much from what I have seen and the land just became more valuable as something else. The block that corners to the arena site to the northeast is also a good redevelopment site. The block to the southeast also has some small sites for development but is mostly the downtown city bus terminal. Now that is good site location in relation to the arena if public transport in this town ever become widely used. There is no block to the northwest (rail lines) and the block to the southeast is a parking garage.

So there are three full city blocks next to the arena site that can be easily developed and parts of two others. That’s a lot of downtown land so that is good news. The last part of good news is that the best places for development are all on the same side as the Mayo, Blue Dome, Main St etc so any development there would help tie downtown together better. In fact, if someone attending an event downtown parked at the new garage on 2nd St they would be one block east of the arena, one block west of Main St, three blocks west of the Blue Dome area. The bad news being that on three sides, all of which have pretty unattractive developments, not much new development is likely anytime soon.  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 12:32:11 pm by swake » Logged
1956packard
Activist

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 09:36:32 pm »

ALOHA AND LAWZEE

NO WRONG THE BOK CENTER IS UGLY AND DOES NOT HARMONIZE
 WITH DOWNTOWN'S ART DECO ARTECHURE AND IT COSTS TOO MUCH TO SEE ANYTHING AT THE BOK CENTER!

THE BOK CENTER CAN JUST BITE ME!

THE LIBERAL TAX AND SPEND   VISION 2025  CAN JUST BITE ME!

ALOHA AND LAWZEE

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 10:38:59 pm »

ALOHA AND LAWZEE

NO WRONG THE BOK CENTER IS UGLY AND DOES NOT HARMONIZE
 WITH DOWNTOWN'S ART DECO ARTECHURE AND IT COSTS TOO MUCH TO SEE ANYTHING AT THE BOK CENTER!

THE BOK CENTER CAN JUST BITE ME!

THE LIBERAL TAX AND SPEND   VISION 2025  CAN JUST BITE ME!

ALOHA AND LAWZEE

Sounds like you're on the way to 'Ban City'....especially since you revived a FOUR YEAR OLD THREAD!!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
circassia
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 09:51:50 am »

When I worked for BoK, there were plans/ideas for the autobank to go away and a new location built in the Brady area. I assume BoK probably owns land in the vicinity.

The autobank is pretty old and sad on the inside. I went in once for a tour and was amazed to see they once had a lobby. You can see the old teller lines, vault, etc. Pretty cool. It's just not a well-executed design overall though. There's like 50 feet between teller stations, which would get pretty boring/lonely.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org