A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:55:21 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on Qui Tam lsuit? Tulsa/Taylor vs. BOK, etc  (Read 6503 times)
DowntownNow
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:00:31 pm »

Okay, someone posted in another unrelated thread about this Qui Tam suit being filed.  Does anyone have barckground info on this?  What is it?  Why was it filed?  Who are the parties?  

http://www.oscn.net/applications/ocisweb/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=2115757&db=Tulsa

I thought this was regarding the Great Plains Airlines settlement but I see that the City of Tulsa and Mayor Taylor are the plaintiffs.

I would have read it but apparently, Judge Deborah Shallcross has the file and the clerks have not seen it in a while and can't ask for it back.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 12:12:18 pm »

3 Plaintiffs, 13 Defendants, multiple causes of action plus cross claims!  It's a defense attorneys dream, that's what it is.  [^]

Normally I would offer to pull the file and find out, but the file has to be as large and messed up as the case itself.  So my short answer is - I have no idea.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
DowntownNow
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:17:20 pm »

So let me see if I get this right...KKT pre-emptively sued BOK and others to disparage them from suing her?  Is this part of the Great Plains Airlines settlement?
shadows
City Father

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 08:47:40 pm »

In the recent appearance on TV, the expression on the face of the mayor was not that of a happy camper.  One could easily assume that any cross petitioning in the courts would be to quite forth coming accusations in the event of future filings.  Such petitioning, in association to the ongoing actions, by assumption,  may be branches of the poison tree hanging over a wide wide area.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 08:52:29 pm by shadows » Logged

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
DowntownNow
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 08:24:25 am »

I think I will attend the motion hearing, I think its on 2/26...wanna bet it will be closed to the public or delayed a third time?
DowntownNow
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 01:34:30 pm »

So why would she have filed suit against the very entity she sought to pay off...or is this her attempt to not allow anyone else do file?  In the end, after she is re-elected (wow, I really hope not) then what?  She will seek to dismiss the lawsuit?  I gotta admit, I'm lost on the logic of this one.
Bledsoe
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 04:44:58 pm »

Mayor Taylor and the City have filed a declaratory judgment action "against" BOK seeking to have the settlement agreement with BOK in which the City paid off the GPA debt declared valid.  This has become a common response to a qui tam demand by taxpayers.

I understand the taxpayers were made parties to the dec action to assure that the legality of the settlement would be fully contested. It would be very hard for them to later prevail on their qui tam claims if they were given the opportunity to show that the settlement was not valid in the dec action.  The below case (and cases cited therein) seems to hold that their qui tam claims may be premature (or non existent) as filing the dec action is considered an appropriate response to a taxpayer demand letter as long as the dec action is really contested.

If in the dec action the settlement is declared invalid all that happens is BOK pays back the City (with interest)--no taxpayer claims--no personal liability for the mayor--no treble damages from her to the taxpayers--no attorneys fees for the taxpayers attorneys.  If the City and Mayor win the dec action then no taxpayer qui tam liability and the taxpayers and their attorneys get nothing.  Sort of a lose-lose for the individual taxpayers--but in theory a win-win for the citizens of Tulsa--we either get the money back from BOK or we have a court saying it was paid legally.

The other winners are the private attorneys hired by the City and the Mayor and the BOK attorneys who are getting paid too.  The citizens of Tulsa and stockholders of BOK are losing some litigation expense over this suit, but they would argue this was caused by the taxpayers demand.

I expect the taxpayers and their attorneys are trying to show that the dec action is a sham and not in good faith and should be dismissed and their qui tam counterclaims/cross claims allowed to go forward-against the Mayor personally and BOK with the taxpayers claiming to represent the City of Tulsa in recovering the alleged improperly paid funds--and of course treble damages and attorneys fees as a reward for them.  

See:  STATE ex rel. WRIGHT v. OKLAHOMA CORPORATION COMMISSION, 2007 OK 73, 170 P.3d 1024

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/deliverdocument.asp?id=450993&hits=

"37 The Tal opinions indicate that when a public body receives the written demand letter, one of the appropriate responses may be to bring a declaratory judgment proceeding to adjudicate the legality of the issues raised by the demand letter. The declaratory judgment proceeding may be deemed, as a matter of law, to be an appropriate response because officials are entitled to the presumption that their action in seeking declaratory judgment is in good faith. State ex rel. Moshe Tal. v. City of Oklahoma City, 2000 OK 70, ¶ 4, 19 P.3d 268, 271, cert. denied , 534 U.S. 814, 122 S.Ct. 40, 151 L.Ed.2d 13 (2001). In State, Bd. Com'rs Pontotoc County ex rel. Braly v. Ford, supra, one of the issues was the diligence of the officials in bringing an action after receiving a demand letter. Braly, 116 P.2d at 990 - 992. A recurring issue in the Tal opinions is similar, but not identical; i.e., the diligence of the officials' representation of the alleged illegal official acts in the declaratory judgment proceeding. In the Tal cases, the taxpayers failed to show that the facts material to the legality of the issues were not presented to the trial court for it to consider when adjudicating the merits of the claimed legality or illegality. Tal I and Tal II, supra. For additional example, we specifically noted in Tal IV that the taxpayers failed to assert that the public body failed to raise any substantive issue arising from the allegations of the taxpayers' written demand upon the public body that related to the lawfulness of the challenged acts of the public body. Tal IV, 2002 OK 97, at ¶ 8, 61 P.3d 234, at 241."
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 05:15:36 pm by Bledsoe » Logged
TulsaSooner
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 08:48:06 pm »

You guys are pissing into the wind, but good luck.  [Cheesy]
DowntownNow
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 11:23:33 pm »

So if I understand this right, there is still a public citizen support behind this to declare the settlement invalid and recoup.  I was worried that Taylor was trying to pull something by filing the claim herself on the City's behalf...what would make me think that her own lawyers or those that serve under her in the City's legal department would do the proper job and seek to prevail against the very organization she sought to enrich in the settlement and whom she used to work for?  That was my biggest concern.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org