A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:09:20 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AT&T Phone  (Read 19731 times)
Michael71
Civic Leader

« on: February 02, 2009, 03:07:01 pm »

I am looking for a nice phone that I can use w/AT&T.  I am dropping Sprint & my company mobile is kinda crappy.  I can, however, buy one from someone who doesn't like/need theirs any more & put the SIM card into it for use.  I prefer a Smartphone or similar.  Thanks!

--------------------------
"Why be part of the 'brain drain' that gets sucked out of Tulsa...The opportunity IS there, you just gotta make it!!"--Eric Marshall
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 05:08:15 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelWayne_71

I am looking for a nice phone that I can use w/AT&T.  I am dropping Sprint & my company mobile is kinda crappy.  I can, however, buy one from someone who doesn't like/need theirs any more & put the SIM card into it for use.  I prefer a Smartphone or similar.  Thanks!

I like their Nokia 6650. There's a lot of unlocked phones out there you can buy for at&t if you're looking to spend more money and get a nicer phone.

The Nokia E63 should be coming along any week now, full QWERTY, 3.5mm headset jack, good size. Basically a lower-end E71 (which is a freaking awesome phone for only $350, BTW)

You can probably tell I'm a Nokia fan. My boss likes his HTC Fuze, if that's more your sort of thing, but you have to pay $30 a month for the data instead of $15. (or is it $10 now? I'm not sure)

One good strategy if you see a phone you like that at&t doesn't sell is to buy an iPhone from at&t for the discounted price and sell it on eBay and put the difference towards whatever unlocked phone you prefer.

Edited to add: Once the N97 comes out this summer, I'll probably have an E71 for sale. Wink

And I'd be more than happy to give you my old Nokia 6200. (And a Nokia Music Stand to go with it)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 05:10:10 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Michael71
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 12:54:39 pm »

Thanks for the info guys.  I have done some research & really need to stick w/the Windows Mobile platform.  I have some applications for work that I need to have on my mobile & it doesn't look like the iPhone can support them.

"Why be part of the 'brain drain' that gets sucked out of Tulsa...The opportunity IS there, you just gotta make it!!"--Eric Marshall
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 12:59:22 pm »

Thanks for the info guys.  I have done some research & really need to stick w/the Windows Mobile platform.  I have some applications for work that I need to have on my mobile & it doesn't look like the iPhone can support them.
If you need the app, then stick with Windows Mobile. I prefer S60, though, being a Nokia zealot. (and the E71 is super sexxxy)  Grin

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 12:32:36 pm »

I have an HTC 8525, the new version is the Tilt (not sure the numbers).  I love mine.  The only difference I know of with the Tilt is that it has build in GPS receiver (and the screen tilts).  There are tons of apps out in the wild that you can run on these things.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 01:52:55 pm »

I used to use and support WinMo devices and have to say I'm quite surprised by the complete lack of improvements in recent years. WinMo 7 probalby won't be out until next year. They just showed 6.5 (which is really a 6.1 patch) and still haven't integrated it with Zune features or any of the other Windows Media environment. Their application dominance is gone now since Apple has more apps in 9 months than were released for WinMo in 9 years. MS response recently is that they will increase the Windows Mobile market by selling less phones running Windows Mobile (not kidding) and the 6.5 and 7 versions of Windows Mobile will not run on any existing hardware. Good way to piss off your market base.

C'mon, when Palm (the people who didn't even want to switch to color screens) has one of the most exciting smart phones coming out, Windows has dropped the ball. Not to mention when Bill Gates' wife goes on record saying she wants an iPhone, you've lost the marketing edge, which is the only edge Microsoft ever really had.

Here is the smartphone Market share as of last year:
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 01:57:48 pm »

Mmm..Symbian.  Grin

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 02:15:18 pm »

Mmm..Symbian.  Grin

No kidding. #1 smartphone OS and what is their marketing budget? Like $1.95?
Michael71
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 10:53:21 am »

Well, company got me an iphone.  I have to say...I love it!  Anyone know of a app for SMF forums that doesn't require jailbreak?

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 12:00:51 pm »

Well, company got me an iphone.  I have to say...I love it!  Anyone know of a app for SMF forums that doesn't require jailbreak?

I just use safari to get on the forum.
Cherish
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 07:52:07 pm »

If you want a Crackberry, get the 8900 Curve.  RIM is coming up with A LOT of apps to compete with the iPhone.   I have the 8900 with T Mobile which got the phone first.  It's currently free if you order through wirefly or a penny with amazon.  Downside to A T & T's service though with that Crackberry is that UMA will not work with AT & T (WiFi access, unlimited calls through wifi that DOES'NT come out of your service minutes)  With UMA you can use the internet faster than EDGE and you can get a lower plan limit since if you call via wifi hotspot cell minutes will not be used which means lower monthly charges since you can realistically choose a low minute usage plan. 

AT & T does have 3G but that's not a 3G phone, it is a UMA(wifi), EDGE, GPS phone.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 08:25:20 pm »

My biggest problem with the Blackberry is the same problem I have with the iPhone. The ridiculous monthly fees for data. I pay $20 a month for unlimited data, 1500 SMS (essentially unlimited to me) and 200 MMS. A BB would be $20 a month more even with my SO's corporate discount, and that doesn't include SMS and MMS, so add another $10 a month for that.

The iPhone would $25 more a month.

I can buy a nice unlocked phone once a year just with the savings, so yeah, I think I'll stick with my new Nokia E75, at least until something better comes along. Wink

Cherish
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 09:29:46 pm »

My biggest problem with the Blackberry is the same problem I have with the iPhone. The ridiculous monthly fees for data. I pay $20 a month for unlimited data, 1500 SMS (essentially unlimited to me) and 200 MMS. A BB would be $20 a month more even with my SO's corporate discount, and that doesn't include SMS and MMS, so add another $10 a month for that.

The iPhone would $25 more a month.

I can buy a nice unlocked phone once a year just with the savings, so yeah, I think I'll stick with my new Nokia E75, at least until something better comes along. Wink

I pay 39.99 for my daytime 600 minute service unlimited n/we (it's unlimited free calls anytime of the day with the T Mobile wifi so I talk wayyy more than that 600 minutes a month LOL), 9.99 for T Mobile HotSpot, and 34.99 for Unlimited Web, Text, Pics, Video Messages and Email. 

The basic Unlimited Data plan with T Mobile is 24.99 a month.  That's 4.99 a month more than the one your currently paying. 

It depends on the carrier, AT & T and Verizon have EXPENSIVE data service plans.  So about 85 bucks for me to have Unlimited everything (except minutes) for a crackberry with T Mobile.

Oh yea most of the T Mobile HotSpots are actually AT &T owned wifi
(like starbucks) guess they have a deal.  I guess that's why when your out of the T Mobile service area you go on AT & T or Alltel service witho ut roaming charges.

I don't know if I can post another website (it's not a forum) but check out billshrink.com to compare cell phones, cell phone plans, gas, credit cards that's custom made for you and free.  *Moderators feel free to remove if you can't post other websites*
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:21:29 pm by Cherish » Logged
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 05:20:31 am »

It depends on the carrier, AT & T and Verizon have EXPENSIVE data service plans.  So about 85 bucks for me to have Unlimited everything (except minutes) for a crackberry with T Mobile.
at&t's data rates are ridiculous for blackberry and iPhone, but for other phones they're not bad at all. $15 for unlimited data alone, $20 for unlimited messaging alone or $30 for both.

OpenYourEyesTulsa
Civic Leader

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 07:28:16 am »

The data rates are more on the iPhone because the internet is used more.  I average between 200 and 400 MB a month on my iPhone.  It would be more than that if I did not use wi-fi at home and work.  On my older phones I barely used the internet because it was too slow and hard to use. 

I think the $30 unlimited internet is reasonable but I think the $20 unlimited texting is a ripoff.  Texting should be free with a data plan in my opinion.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org