A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:24:19 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think the local media is biased?  (Read 7914 times)
Fatstrat
« on: February 01, 2009, 04:07:57 pm »

I think most people understand that the big mainstream media networks (ABC,CBS,NBC,CNN ETC) are hugely biased towards the left. Some would argue that FOX leans to the right.
 How do you feel about our local media?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 07:23:01 pm »

Try to lean into the wind.

Power is nothing till you use it.
waterboy
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 10:56:22 pm »

I'm ambidextrous. I lean both ways.

Its so funny to hear someone say "some people think Fox may lean a little to the right". Yeah, and that John Erling is such a liberal.

Short answer: Most people are barely smart enough to show up for work with matching socks and clean underwear. Who they think is liberal when they can't even tell you who won WWII, is certainly not too important to me. Our local media is a collection of businessmen who if anything lean to the right but struggle not to show it too much.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 11:44:16 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fatstrat

I think most people understand that the big mainstream media networks (ABC,CBS,NBC,CNN ETC) are hugely biased towards the left. Some would argue that FOX leans to the right.

Every television station seems to have a slightly different flavor, while all staying pretty much within a community standard that distinguishes us from LA, New York or Lawton.

KOTV has been decidedly urban in the past but is morphing into an Oklahoma City stations' Tulsa bureau.  KTUL leans more rural (from its early roots as having the furthest-reaching tower and Muskogee ownership), I dont know where KJRH is anymore and KOKI most definitely does not march in lockstep with FOX news network.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
MichaelBates
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 11:57:38 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by patric

quote:

Every television station seems to have a slightly different flavor, while all staying pretty much within a community standard that distinguishes us from LA, New York or Lawton.

KOTV has been decidedly urban in the past but is morphing into an Oklahoma City stations' Tulsa bureau.  KTUL leans more rural (from its early roots as having the furthest-reaching tower and Muskogee ownership), I dont know where KJRH is anymore and KOKI most definitely does not march in lockstep with FOX news network.

Left, right, or center, I'm impressed when a TV station reports on local government and gets the details right. It takes some guts to do that: Budgets and zoning and council meetings are not as telegenic as car crashes and kitty cats.

KOTV has been doing a particularly good job the past couple of years. I was sorry to see Glenn McEntyre move on from KJRH. I've been hearing that KOKI is taking local government more seriously.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 09:27:25 am »

The TV stations seem to be pretty balanced and not overly afraid to tip the apple cart.  I would agree though that the Tulsa World does appear to be agenda-driven, and would be the outlet I consider to be least-trustworthy.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gold
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 09:38:45 am »

quote:

Some would argue that FOX leans to the right.

[:O]
tim huntzinger
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 10:34:40 am »

Absolutely biased.  The politicommercial complex in Tulsa is rife with incestuous nepotism and a desire to please its allies in the government and NGO sectors.  Look at the steady line of journalists who leave their steady jobs for jobs with oh lets see the Mayor's office, the Education sector, corporations, etc. Couple that with declining resources - ie the time to investigate critically - and we have a perfect recipe for the Fourth Estate to become the tool for promoting misinformation.  LOT easier to take a press release - say the BOK Center's spin about its 'success' - than to analyze the facts and hack off yer friends.

Along this line, Bernie Goldberg was going to be on Pat Campbell's show sometime this week, maybe today.
MichaelBates
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 11:52:59 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelBates

KOTV has been doing a particularly good job the past couple of years. I was sorry to see Glenn McEntyre move on from KJRH. I've been hearing that KOKI is taking local government more seriously.

I'm not sure Glen McEntyre left willingly.  He was the one who brought us Krazy Kathy Taylor after all.  The oligarchy has a way of "correcting" those mistakes.

Glenn moved to a higher-ranked market -- Columbus, Ohio.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 11:57:40 am »

Our local media isn't left or right biased. The only bias they seem to have is bias towards business. Which is how things are in most local markets.

I also strongly disagree that most national media's news is biased in any particular direction, aside from being generally jingoistic.

Fox commentators take the cake for bias, though. They so strongly take the neocon and religionist point of view on air I honestly can't even begin to fathom how someone can't see that.

The commentators on other national news are generally split between trying to advance one party or the other's agenda, and they generally have commentators who offset each other.

What we really need (nationally) is a station that's willing to put people on the air to report the facts rather than giving pundits air time to argue about their opinions. Hearing Republicans and Democrats argue about their talking points does not leave anyone well informed, as often one side or the other has the facts behind them, but you'd never know it from the news media.

Why? Because the Republicans have been very successful in shaming the media with their "liberal bias" mantra. So now all we get is a bunch of opinions masquerading as facts, even during the "news."

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 12:33:38 pm »

No. It sounds like you are just spreading innuendo that somehow he was forced out. You are the 2009 version of "friendly bear" with your obsession with "the oligarchy".

More likely, he got a promotion to another market because of talent.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Chicken Little
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 12:56:01 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

well...speaking of spreading.

I hope that's the case (regarding his talent)

This would be an example of an ad hominem attack...*sshat.
Chicken Little
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 01:35:50 pm »

Sure.  And when I call you *sshat, that's just my dyslexia kicking in, I get my esses and els turned around sometimes.[Wink]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org