A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:35:51 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: City Hires Accounting Firm to Conduct PW Probe  (Read 10635 times)
DowntownNow
« on: January 31, 2009, 10:44:56 am »

As reported in the Tulsa World on 01/30/09
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090130_298_0_TectfT263021

After reading this story, the lack of a responsible Request For Proposal for auditing services was the first thing that came to mind.  To which I posted the folling on TW's website and got some interesting banter from reporter Brian Barber.

DowntownNow, (1/30/2009 3:36:00 PM)
What a joke! We are auditing only that section which the alleged fraud perps worked in...what about the rest of Public Works? Why does Taylor not want an in-depth look into all aspects of Public Works? This is a sham...we are paying to audit what the Feds have already been looking into. The taxpayers demand accountability in the form of a departmental performance audit, not a section audit and not just a financial audit. There are many other areas within Public Works that deal with contracts and millions of taxpayer's dollars.

And talk about transparency and integrity (or again, lack thereof)...no RFP was issued for auditing services so as to have a number of firms to vet and choose from. She hand picked the firm, and prolly the independent counsel whose firm has had to recuse work involving the City in the past due to conflict.  

DowntownNow, (1/30/2009 3:43:04 PM)
Oops...and what about that 'bang for the buck'? Ths contract for one section is for $90,000 when it was reported that the entire Public Works Department audit had an estimated price tag of $221,000 I believe according to GT Bynum...again, the taxpayers are getting screwed.

Tulsa World Staff Writer Brian Barber, (1/30/2009 3:47:49 PM) To answer your questions, service contracts such as these are done on a request for proposal basis, and the mayor has the authority to enter into service contracts without other approval.

The mayor found a firm with the needed forensic and ethics training and hired them right away so that the process could get underway quickly.

A formal bidding process, typically used for materials and jobs with more fixed prices, would have taken weeks.  

DowntownNow, (1/30/2009 4:03:08 PM)
So the Tulsa World and Brian Barber are now the apologists/defenders for the Mayor's actions? No impartiality there.

Your answer to my question simply highlights the lack of mayoral concern for citizens when things are done without regard to established process. The Mayor wants to earn the trust of the citizens back, this is not the way to do it. It lacks the credibility in following the process to pick among competitive and open bids. This is essentially the same thing Albert Martinez is accused of facilitating; favoring one firm over others.

Citizens would have greater trust if she had taken the time (weeks if thats what it takes) to properly issue an RFP and made the final decision both open and transparent as to why that firm was picked. It would have also assured taxpayers that their funds were being used in the most efficient and cost effective manner.

Brian you want to run a good journalistic story with unbiased integrity? Ask and report why the Mayor refuses to conduct a top-down performance review of the entire Public Works Department.

I would like to see some investigative and unbiased journalism in this town given recent happenings.  

Tulsa World Staff Writer Brian Barber, (1/30/2009 4:10:43 PM)
I believe that the majority of the City Council and the mayor are still supportive of having an independent performance audit of the entire Public Works Department. An agenda item about that is listed on the council committee meetings Tuesday.

I'm not defending anything, just merely stating the way that this city process works. Service contracts are entered into based on who the mayor/cityadministrators think would do the best job, not by the lowest bidder.

Now apparently, Mr. Barber (outside of his day job), is an expert on the qualifications of what makes a good auditor since he makes the observed statement the mayor found a firm with the needed forensic and ethics training.  

In his first response he agrees with the arguement that these types of contracts are typically done under an RFP, backing up my assertion.  

Let's see if his last prediction comes tru, that the Mayor also wants the in-depth top-down review of the entire Public Works department.

waterboy
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 11:35:42 am »

I thought his responses were responsible and professional. You're obviously informed, however, you need to step back and observe your position in this thing. It is on the council agenda for the next meeting. On the one hand you are willing to wait for weeks for a formal rfp process that the mayor does not legally have to follow. On the other hand you want immediate action for a unilateral full scale audit approval that would ignore the council and require the Mayor to shoulder the whole thing. You imply that she is hesitant or scared or involved. That is not professional or responsible.

Kind of sounds like a conflicting view from a (probable) government paid employee.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:37:36 am by waterboy » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 11:51:01 am »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

I thought his responses were responsible and professional. You're obviously informed, however, you need to step back and observe your position in this thing. It is on the council agenda for the next meeting. On the one hand you are willing to wait for weeks for a formal rfp process that the mayor does not legally have to follow. On the other hand you want immediate action for a unilateral full scale audit approval that would ignore the council and require the Mayor to shoulder the whole thing. You imply that she is hesitant or scared or involved. That is not professional or responsible.

Kind of sounds like a conflicting view from a (probable) government paid employee.

I guess I could never quite understand the vitriol some people have for the TW.  Any paper is going to have a bias (can any of you say Washington Post?; New York Times?) based either on it's readership or it's owners.  If you want to make a statement about how you don't like that paper, don't buy it/read it.  Simple as that.

And if you don't like what the Mayor is doing, the system needs to be changed.  We have a strong mayor form of government.  Is it perfect?  No.  Am I a fan of it or of the mayor?  Not necessarily.  But until someone proves that what she is doing is illegal, there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it.  That's not being an 'apologist', that's stating a fact.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
DowntownNow
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 12:38:30 pm »

Waterboy...

I have a problem with a reporter stepping in to put forward a rational he has not based in fact or it would and should have been made a part of his report.  I simply imply that as a reporter, where is his knoweldge base for determining that this firm in fact fits the needed forensic and ethical background required?

I am fully aware that this item is on the Council agenda for next week.  I had hoped it would have been on this weeks but I can wait.  

While the Mayor may not have to wait weeks legally, I do endorse a fair and open competitive RFP process so that the City is afforded a selection of firms.  Whether they are qualified or not, if the cost is effective, the processes by which they will audit and the manner in which they will schedule and report are all things to be considered once received and reviewed.  I endorse the RFP process to enable that citizens are assured that a proper process, that is both open and transparent, is followed in light of recent happenings.  The purpose of which is to re-establish public trust in our municipal system.  This is also related to previous calls by both the public and City Council for independent audits.  To follow such a process could and would I'm sure gain more public confidence in the way things are handled and investigated in city government.

What I wanted in my previous posts was follow up on the efforts of Councilors, particularly GT Bynum, to move forward with the independent audit as has been suggested.  I fully believe that now more than ever, one is warranted and advocate for that with all due haste but in keeping with established prolicies and procedures to keep in line with the norm and provide the greatest degree of transparency.  My previous posts referenced Councilor Bynums attempts since taking office in April '08 to get the audit he promised in his campaign.  I also referenced his statements that he has been engaging the Mayor for over 9 mos to get this done.  9 mos is a long time, even in terms of an RFP...it simply shouldnt take that long and now look where we are.

Given our form of government, weak council and strong Mayor, yes I do want ultimate responsibility placed on her shoulders.  She is the CEO/Mayor of Tulsa...the buck does stop with her.  It is how she will handle the situation that will determine in the minds of the citizens how she is perceived.  If the weak Council can not come to terms with requesting an audit by majority but she realizes the need exists both for public perception and public comfort, then by all means request an RFP, choose the best qualified candidate among the field, re-establish integrity in the process and move forward and report to the people.

I have never said she was involved.  I have said she is hesitant and I do not understand why.  Bynum's assertion that he has been working for 9 months with her to perform the audit, going so far as to outline an RFP process, talk to firms regarding a potential cost, etc can easily make one rationalize that there is hesitation on her part.  To the best of my knowledge, she hasn't hesitated on anything to that length of time before.  If she has, please name it.

For your reference:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090123_298_0_hrimgs420638&archive=yes

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20081119_11_A13_hManyc24953&archive=yes

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20081210_11_A20_Tulsas433809&archive=yes

This one is from June '08...long before this fiasco
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20080605_16_A11_hSomet79213&archive=yes

Even the TW's own editorial staff has called for an independent audit of the entire Public Works Department.  
http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/article.aspx?subjectid=61&articleid=20081211_61_A14_Tulsac835869&archive=yes

Rico
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 06:40:58 pm »

"Tulsa Public Works Director Charles Hardt was not available for comment."
waterboy
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 07:49:28 pm »

Downtowner, for heavens sake run for office and spare us all the drama. Of course you'll have to answer some direct questions and innuendo that may be uncomfortable. Indignant people just like youurself will be wanting answers. If your stuff floats you're Batman, if it doesn't you're just another hater.

Seriously. No enmity, and you may be perfectly righteous, I just can't buy your argument right now.

Meanwhile, one wonders how many purchase orders are being written in PW for shredders and shredder oil.[Wink]

MDepr2007
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 09:37:31 pm »

Sure would have been cheaper for the audit back in 2005/06 but there were too many naysayers on the council then. One is still there but hopefully Martinson will be out voted this go around.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 10:13:03 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MDepr2007

One is still there but hopefully Martinson will be out voted this go around.

Gomez and Patrick, too.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
DowntownNow
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 10:56:13 am »

Waterboy - let me just say this, you don't like it, don't read it.  Simple.  

No one forces you or points a gun to your head to read what I write in here.  This is a forum for discussion with many and often times, varied points of view.  You have your's and I have mine.  I find myself spending more time defending myself with you than reading anything meaningful of insightful and backed up by fact that has been posted by you, so after this I'm choosing not to.  If you want to add something meaningful or insightful please do, if you want to drivel on and on, then you can do that too...thats the great thing about the forum.  Enjoy.
waterboy
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 11:01:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DowntownNow

Waterboy - let me just say this, you don't like it, don't read it.  Simple.  

No one forces you or points a gun to your head to read what I write in here.  This is a forum for discussion with many and often times, varied points of view.  You have your's and I have mine.  I find myself spending more time defending myself with you than reading anything meaningful of insightful and backed up by fact that has been posted by you, so after this I'm choosing not to.  If you want to add something meaningful or insightful please do, if you want to drivel on and on, then you can do that too...thats the great thing about the forum.  Enjoy.

I'm so hurt. And so disillusioned.[Tongue] You're having no discussions with anyone but yourself here for the most part. Without my posts there would be no varied points of view, because no one else much responds to you. I'll gladly join that group.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 11:06:13 pm by waterboy » Logged
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 08:37:36 am »

I think it should be pointed out that the city auditor is not an employee of Kathy Taylor, that position is directly elected and has been held by one man for decades.

You want to blame the mayor, but where is the city auditor in all of this?
DowntownNow
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 08:46:22 am »

Very true Swake, and based on Mr. Phil Wood's performance in last week's Urban & Economic Development Committee meeting, he doesn't deserve the post.  He has gone so far as to post open letters in the Tulsa World before asking questions that he as the City Auditor should investigate at his own discretion.  

Last week he attempted every excuse not to perform audits of PWD or the Fire Dept.  The Council at least put him in his place and told him to get back to them this coming week with a workload schedule, requirements and process to move forward.  

Next election, I will be voting for an auditor that will serve the function he is elected to, oversight of municipal functions.  This still doesn't clear the Mayor from her own responsibilities in these matters.  They are separte and distinct...each offers a checks and balance system when utilized to their fullest extent possible.

At this point however, only an independent third party audit would serve the purpose of re-establishing public trust in the municipal system of government, not an audit by an authority tied to the City that has shown a lack of involvement and held the post for decades.

Much like Hardt, when you serve so long, you can become complacent, things can get overlooked.  Change is good now and then.
MichaelBates
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 12:32:11 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by swake

I think it should be pointed out that the city auditor is not an employee of Kathy Taylor, that position is directly elected and has been held by one man for decades.

That's the topic of my column this week, out Wednesday.

The auditor has 10 people working for him, of whom 9 work directly on audits. They operate on under a million dollars a year, trying to keep an eye on hundreds of millions of dollars. They seem to be stretched to the limit. I'm impressed with what they accomplish with their limited resources.
DowntownNow
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 01:01:14 pm »

Can't wait to read the article Michael and glad to see you're still putting them out there.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 01:24:10 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelBates

quote:
Originally posted by swake

That's the topic of my column this week, out Wednesday.

The auditor has 10 people working for him, of whom 9 work directly on audits. They operate on under a million dollars a year, trying to keep an eye on hundreds of millions of dollars. They seem to be stretched to the limit. I'm impressed with what they accomplish with their limited resources.

What? No shout-out to Bobby Lorton this week? [Tongue]

"City Auditor" is a somewhat of a nebulous job title, considering there are many aspects of city government which can be audited.

The nature of Martinez' corruption would be pretty hard to detect other than taking a direct look at with whom that department was doing business with and the frequency they were doing it.  Was there enough repeat business or appearance of collusion to raise a red flag.  If there was no protocol set up for that specific purpose, who should have known what to look for?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org