A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:26:36 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New highway dividers.  (Read 45564 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 04:51:57 pm »

Some of the predictions made here seem to be panning out:

ODOT Pulling Up Cable Barriers On Tulsa Highway

It was just two years ago that ODOT spent $600 thousand dollars to install the cables and now they plan to pull them up
"The plan now is to go in and take the cable barriers out of this area, recycle all the materials and put it up on a different project north on Highway 169," said Kenna Mitchell, ODOT Spokesperson.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=12562624

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 07:19:07 am »

Some of the predictions made here seem to be panning out:

They're only being removed along a 2-5 mile section of hw 169 where the road is being widened much sooner than expected.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 07:28:36 am »

They're only being removed along a 2-5 mile section of hw 169 where the road is being widened much sooner than expected.

Yep, I see nothing wrong with that.  At least it's not being wasted.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 10:30:16 am »

That video was something, at least it kept the bus from crossing into on-coming traffic. Kansas started using that cable system and they claim it works good, so now many other states are using it, indeed they are bad for a motorcycle rider no question about that. But they say  it works fine to keep vehicles from going into on-coming traffic and they are less expensive than a cement wall.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 10:43:58 pm »

Actually if that bus had hit a cable barrier, I wonder if it would've had more of an 'arresting' action on the bus and kept it from plowing through so many cars on the same side as it..

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 08:29:33 am »

Think I read where they were being yanked at the BA at 169, but I also think that might have been some site's comments section and possibly not accurate.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 12:39:35 pm »

A little decapitation scare, anyone?

http://www.newson6.com/story/15458578/sand-springs-police-highway-cable-barrier-stops-sleepy-driver

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 02:44:20 pm »

"Police detected a strong smell of fecal matter emanating from the vehicle."

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 02:50:15 pm »

"Police detected a strong smell of fecal matter emanating from the vehicle."

Dude, It would've been all over my windshield.

That and the echo of a girlish scream could be heard throughout our beautiful valley.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 11:42:08 am »

Dude, It would've been all over my windshield.
That and the echo of a girlish scream could be heard throughout our beautiful valley.

An Okfuskee County sheriff's deputy has been killed in an auto accident on Interstate 40 near Okemah.

The OHP says the left front tire on 37-year-old David Allford's 2006 Chevy Tahoe blew out, causing the Tahoe to run off the highway and hit a cable barrier, then rolling over two times.

The OHP says Allford was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The accident was investigated by Trooper Brian Iker, of the Hughes County Detachment. He was assisted by Trooper Scott Aldridge, Trooper Daniel Martin, Trooper Jason Fox, Lt Shane Allen, Trooper Dwight Durant, Trooper Scott Hart, the Okfuskee County Sheriff's office, Okemah Fire Department, Breaden Fire Department and Creek Nation EMS.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 04:51:35 pm »

An Okfuskee County sheriff's deputy has been killed in an auto accident on Interstate 40 near Okemah.

The OHP says the left front tire on 37-year-old David Allford's 2006 Chevy Tahoe blew out, causing the Tahoe to run off the highway and hit a cable barrier, then rolling over two times.

The OHP says Allford was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The accident was investigated by Trooper Brian Iker, of the Hughes County Detachment. He was assisted by Trooper Scott Aldridge, Trooper Daniel Martin, Trooper Jason Fox, Lt Shane Allen, Trooper Dwight Durant, Trooper Scott Hart, the Okfuskee County Sheriff's office, Okemah Fire Department, Breaden Fire Department and Creek Nation EMS.

The cable barrier may well have kept his vehicle from killing someone else in a head-on crash.  The barrier ostensibly did not kill him.  Not wearing a seat belt seems to be more of the culprit.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 05:23:46 pm »

The cable barrier may well have kept his vehicle from killing someone else in a head-on crash.  The barrier ostensibly did not kill him.  Not wearing a seat belt seems to be more of the culprit.

I saw this story on one of the big three tonight.  There was some noise about 'bald tires' and 'not enough money to repair a seat belt'.  However that hasn't been confirmed from what I understand.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 06:14:29 pm »

Where did his SUV end up?  It seems unlikely that you'd hit the barrier and roll multiple times without ending up in oncoming lanes.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 06:27:27 pm »

Where did his SUV end up?  It seems unlikely that you'd hit the barrier and roll multiple times without ending up in oncoming lanes.

I-40's lanes are pretty well-separated from just east of OKC to Henryetta with a few exceptions.  I've not looked at a Google map of the accident site though.  Aside from that, assuming it did end up in on-coming lanes, the barriers as well as the roll-over would have absorbed quite a bit of energy before the vehicle could launch across the median. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 06:29:18 pm »

I saw this story on one of the big three tonight.  There was some noise about 'bald tires' and 'not enough money to repair a seat belt'.  However that hasn't been confirmed from what I understand.

The Okfuskee sheriff says the seat belt was working two weeks ago when he drove the Tahoe.  He also produced a receipt from where three tires were installed on Aug. 30.  Of course that leaves the possibility they didn't replace the left front or perhaps there was a blister on the new tire.  They said fire damage has made it hard to determine the condition prior to the crash.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org