A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:55:23 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kaiser says help people, not businesses.  (Read 7917 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: January 23, 2009, 02:30:24 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090123_16_A1_OLHMIY734365&archive=yes

quote:

OKLAHOMA CITY — Tulsa businessman and philanthropist George Kaiser told a legislative panel on Thursday that taxpayers deserve a break more than the oil and gas industry does.

Kaiser, controlling shareholder of the Kaiser-Francis Oil Co. based in Tulsa, encouraged lawmakers on the House Appropriations and Budget Committee to eliminate or limit tax incentives for the oil and gas industry.

"People are hurting," Kaiser said. "Let's give the taxpayer a break during these difficult times and eliminate or limit this government largesse."

Kaiser is chairman of BOK Financial Corp., but said he was speaking as a representative of the George Kaiser Family Foundation.

Some incentives, such as the rebate for horizontal drilling, are up for renewal this year. In fiscal year 2007, the rebate was about $27 million, according to the Oklahoma Tax Commission.

Kaiser said the wells would still be drilled without the rebate.

He suggested that the money that would go to the rebates be spent on health care, a pay raise for teachers, an income or corporate tax cut, a tuition reduction or in numerous other ways.

"Even the most hardscrabble oil and gas producer or working interest owner is in far better shape right now than the average taxpayer in this state," Kaiser said.

Using the funds for services or tax cuts to help the middle class and working poor will do more for the state's economy than giving tax cuts to producers and out-of-state investors, Kaiser said.

Tulsa businessman Bob Sullivan of Sullivan and Co. said the incentives were significant to his company.

Although he has never made a decision to drill based on incentives, the money went for salaries or to pay for more drilling, Sullivan said.

Sullivan has increased his activity as a result of the incentives, he said, adding that what the state signals to the industry is very important.

"We appreciate what you have done with these incentives," Sullivan said.

Rep. Ken Miller, House Appropriations and Budget Committee chairman, said the Legislature does not view the incentives as a giveaway.

"We want to incentivize an industry that has been very good to Oklahoma," said Miller, R-Edmond.

I applaud his statements. I was also a bit surprised he said that we needed to help the middle class and WORKING poor, a discernment not often seen amongst his fellow party members.
Wrinkle
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 07:14:06 pm »

Does this include SB 1658, the 'Deep Well Incentive' extension passed last year, extending it for three years at $25 million PER COMPANY?

Or, is this specifically the one of which he's speaking? Doesn't seem timely if so, it can't expire for two more years.

Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 07:40:36 pm »

Not that I disagree, but it rings hypocritically hollow after getting 7.1 million from the taxpayers that he wasn't due for Great Plains through his accomplice Taylor the Tyrant. King Kaiser should practice what he preaches, give the tax money he received back to the city and do his part to "give the taxpayer a break during these difficult times".

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 10:34:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

Not that I disagree, but it rings hypocritically hollow after getting 7.1 million from the taxpayers that he wasn't due for Great Plains through his accomplice Taylor the Tyrant. King Kaiser should practice what he preaches, give the tax money he received back to the city and do his part to "give the taxpayer a break during these difficult times".

Thank you for your inability to seperate a company and the person who heads it. Someone owns BOK a debt and it's Kaiser's fault if they want to collect. Some people got bribes before Kathy Taylor was even Mayor, and that must be her fault. I think I'll blame 9/11 on Obama.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 01:28:22 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Thank you for your inability to seperate a company and the person who heads it. Someone owns BOK a debt and it's Kaiser's fault if they want to collect. Some people got bribes before Kathy Taylor was even Mayor, and that must be her fault. I think I'll blame 9/11 on Obama.

Keep spinning, bribes have been taking place throughout her administration. Martinez just resigned Thursday.

Don't forget the dirty laundry list of appointments and reappointments Taylor the Tyrant has made with conflicts of interest, either. There's also the master lease agreement on City Hall One Technology Center with BOK where they are their own tenants. Or how about the structure of the Ballpark Trust and the screw job perpetrated against Novus homes? There seems to be a pattern of cozy cronyism through shady deals with shady characters by Taylor going all the way back to her tenure as Secretary of Commerce. Like I said in another thread, corruption thrives where there is an incompetent lack of supervision, checks and balances, and oversight or those in authority are willing accomplices. Taylor the Tryant's record of public disservice suggests the former at least and the latter at most.

This Taylor quote in regards to her campaign contribution to George W. Bush, despite being a "democrat", exemplifies her pay to play public policy ethos for government "There are times, both in business and in politics, when you need a seat at the table,". Why earn it, when you can buy it? This golden rule government, where those who have the gold make the rules, has created the climate in which a corporate culture of cronyism and corruption has been allowed to spread like a cancer within our city government. Make Life Bitter.

<center>
</center>
waterboy
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 02:11:35 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Keep spinning, bribes have been taking place throughout her administration. Martinez just resigned Thursday.

Don't forget the dirty laundry list of appointments and reappointments Taylor the Tyrant has made with conflicts of interest, either. There's also the master lease agreement on City Hall One Technology Center with BOK where they are their own tenants. Or how about the structure of the Ballpark Trust and the screw job perpetrated against Novus homes? There seems to be a pattern of cozy cronyism through shady deals with shady characters by Taylor going all the way back to her tenure as Secretary of Commerce. Like I said in another thread, corruption thrives where there is an incompetent lack of supervision, checks and balances, and oversight or those in authority are willing accomplices. Taylor the Tryant's record of public disservice suggests the former at least and the latter at most.

This Taylor quote in regards to her campaign contribution to George W. Bush, despite being a "democrat", exemplifies her pay to play public policy ethos for government "There are times, both in business and in politics, when you need a seat at the table,". Why earn it, when you can buy it? This golden rule government, where those who have the gold make the rules, has created the climate in which a corporate culture of cronyism and corruption has been allowed to spread like a cancer within our city government. Make Life Bitter.

He's not spinning, you are. Just because you take a poli-sci course, read a good book or sit and break bread with some local revolutionary libertarians at a coffee shop doesn't give you credibility to attack politicians and businessmen who have donated chunks of their lives to make sure you have the comfortable platform on which to do so. I don't agree with a lot of stuff Taylor has done, but I don't think that makes her a criminal or draw the conclusions that she has created an environment for corruption.

From the first post of yours I read, I have been impressed with your ability to take a fraction of a picture and compose and defend vigorously the final framed portrait as perfect even though that portrait is at best a crime artists composite sketch. What a waste of talent. IOW, you only seem to operate with part of the truth and extrapolate wildly. The Oliver Stone of TulsaNow.

Now, I read your posts on the TW comments section alongside the Friendly Bear where name calling, innuendo and conspiracy theories are more appropriate. For heaven's sake man, get a grip, get new sources that aren't so partisan,  or at least document your allegations.

On the other hand...you make the rest of us look pretty smart.
Wrinkle
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 03:59:53 pm »

There's a lot more truth to AA's claims than Waterboy wants to admit.

And, to some degree, it's the kind of culture in which those participating often fail to recognise just what is wrong.

waterboy
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 05:51:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wrinkle

There's a lot more truth to AA's claims than Waterboy wants to admit.

And, to some degree, it's the kind of culture in which those participating often fail to recognise just what is wrong.

Its not that I don't want to admit them, its that there is little proof in his accusations to admit to. What particularly did she do in the Commerce dept. that he is alleging? We all have substantive differences in opinion on whether the ballpark financing, the city hall move or the roads issues were the correct moves but that doesn't mean she is corrupt!

I have been amidst some pretty shady characters in business and yes, those the most into it seldom think of it as anything but "this is how business is done..." Sort of like people who smoke dope think everyone smokes dope. And its an assertion that makes you question your beliefs. Its funny really. Tragic but funny.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 06:12:50 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

Now, I read your posts on the TW comments section alongside the Friendly Bear where name calling, innuendo and conspiracy theories are more appropriate.

I don't post on the Whirled website, I assume that's what you're referring to.

<center>
</center>
waterboy
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 11:59:22 am »

quote:

quote:

Now, I read your posts on the TW comments section alongside the Friendly Bear where name calling, innuendo and conspiracy theories are more appropriate.

My apology then and some added respect for you.[8D] You have a secret admirer on those comments pages who is using your phraseology.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 05:08:09 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

My apology then and some added respect for you.[8D] You have a secret admirer on those comments pages who is using your phraseology.

Double A has a posse? Sweet. Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses. Now all I need is a Shepard Fairey designed poster. OBEY the AA.

<center>
</center>
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org