A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:29:44 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Corruption Probe News Conference  (Read 30819 times)
deeray
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 11:25:53 am »

This should not suprise any tulsan.  When the animal shelter was being reviewed, I presented evidence of closed bid submittal fraud, concerns about overtime fraud and the abuse of the animals and volunteers. These practices had been going on for years. This was not presented to one person, but many.  Since the HSUS reviewed the shelter...the manager retired, the assistant was demoted, we have new management and they are now on their way to being a progressive shelter.

We need a counsel and a hired professional city manager for some continuity and accountability.

cks511
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2009, 12:31:09 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

Maybe we are finding out why Tulsa has a normal tax rate but doesn't appear to get our moneys worth?  Maybe we know why the river vote failed.  Perhaps we are starting to figure out why people are paranoid about corruption and the "money belt" running everything.

Well I'm just giddy about being a Caveman Naysayer!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009, 02:11:49 pm »

Hardt's position has become too powerful over the years and needs to be diluted and made more accountable.  Y-T-Y contracts doesn't sound like a bad idea.  I don't think it ought to be an elected position, then you get special interests jockying for the seat.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 03:05:36 pm »

The prosecutor said there was no evidence that anyone above the two accused had any knowledge of these crimes. They investigated for two years and say they got all the people involved.

Everybody is embarrassed, but only the guilty should lose their job.

Power is nothing till you use it.
MDepr2007
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 03:14:04 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

The prosecutor said there was no evidence that anyone above the two accused had any knowledge of these crimes. They investigated for two years and say they got all the people involved.

Second hand knowledge or is someone actually reporting this as it's not what many of us have heard in the airing of what was said.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2009, 03:37:24 pm »

I beleive that was the statement I heard on the evening news from the federal official.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 03:39:15 pm »

quote:

This is where I disagree.  The supervisor of public works should be quite well aware of who they contract with and the frequency of the contracts.  Wouldn't you question it if you had the same pool of contractors doing job after job, if it were all bid work?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Wilbur
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 05:39:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:

This is where I disagree.  The supervisor of public works should be quite well aware of who they contract with and the frequency of the contracts.  Wouldn't you question it if you had the same pool of contractors doing job after job, if it were all bid work?

What is there to question?  You're not suggesting giving out work in even numbers simply based on the number of people who submit bids, are you?

Look at Quik Trip.  The same company builds all their stores.  They must like the work they do.

And, how many road construction companies can there possibly be in Tulsa who are actually willing to make bids.  Not a whole lot.
waterboy
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 06:12:14 pm »

Inteller, choosing to use a city manager is a lot different for a community of 75,000 than it is for one with a half million. The city manager can easily wield more power than any one individual in the whole power structure. We don't want to replace one concentration of power with another. Yes, he would answer to the mayor/council but that just makes the whole thing ripe for political gamesmanship. I think OKC uses one but retains a strong mayor to help balance off the power.

Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2009, 06:20:03 pm »

quote:

***FULL DISCLOSURE*** - Charles Hardt is on Spincycle's Board of Trustees.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Wrinkle
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2009, 06:30:06 pm »

During the Mayor's news conference, she stated she had had 'extended discussions' with officials but couldn't talk about it until the indictments were opened.

Question: has anyone asked her just when these discussions took place? She made it sound like she was in on it from the beginning of the investigation, but strict interpretation of her comments indicates it could have been that morning.

I'd like to know at what point the Mayor knew of this.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2009, 06:55:11 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wrinkle

During the Mayor's news conference, she stated she had had 'extended discussions' with officials but couldn't talk about it until the indictments were opened.

Question: has anyone asked her just when these discussions took place? She made it sound like she was in on it from the beginning of the investigation, but strict interpretation of her comments indicates it could have been that morning.

I'd like to know at what point the Mayor knew of this.

Kinda like how the media keeps referring to Martinez as a former employee like he's been long gone, when he just resigned Thursday.

BTW, according to a media report I saw, the dude's salary was $106,000 a year. That's almost twice the median family income for the city of Tulsa.  How's that for adding insult to injury?

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
DowntownNow
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2009, 10:50:51 am »

Its been reported that Councilor GT Bynum has been trying to work with the Mayor on initiating an independent audit sine April of last year.  Past City Councilors have been requesting that same type of audit for years.  If suspicion has been laid at the doorstep for years then why is this just now getting a Mayor's attention?  

If a Councilor has gone on record that he has been working with the Mayor's office for 9 months...what takes so long?  Why has it not happened?
DowntownNow
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2009, 11:09:57 am »

News Channel 8 reported the following:

"Tulsa Mayor Kathy Taylor says she first learned about the scandal after one of those indicted turned in a letter of resignation. She says she was surprised the alleged corruption went on so long without someone stepping forward."

So Mayor Taylor didnt know a thing about the investigation until the sealed indictments were read at the Federal Courthouse, just like everyone else.  Martinez resigned on Wednesday, indictments read on Thursday.  

According to the TW "The mayor indicated she was aware of the indictments before they were unsealed, having had significant discussions with the FBI and the U.S. Attorney’s Office, but was unable to talk publicly about them until now" is completely false according to her own statements made to Channel 8.  If I remember my pre-law right, federal indictments are kept very secret and very hush hush so that the feds can investigate thorouhgly and impartially.

Federal authorities say they were first tipped off and then began investigating the alleged charges.  I find it hard to believe that someone would not have attempted to tip off the City first and if so, why was it not followed up on?

TulsaSooner
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2009, 11:21:01 am »

My recollection is that an independent audit of PW has been on the table for some time but the only folks against it was PW.  I don't recall the Mayor ever being against it.  I don't know why there hasn't been one though.

In the paper, it was mentioned there should be periodic departmental independent audits.  I don't disagree but the City has an Internal Audit department; either they should be used for this purpose (which they are, but I guess they're not "independent") or it should be abolished/reduced and external auditors should perform these periodic audits.  I don't know why we'd need both.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org