A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:02:39 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Corruption Probe News Conference  (Read 30875 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: January 22, 2009, 01:35:05 pm »

Apparently someone made a big booboo, but they can't tell us until 2:30...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20090121_298_0_Author859553
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 01:48:31 pm »

BREAKING NEWS

Something is going to happen to someone tomorrow.
For more details, wake up tomorrow.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 02:02:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

Apparently someone made a big booboo, but they can't tell us until 2:30...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20090121_298_0_Author859553

It's called blind scooping.  

"We don't know anything, but we want to be the first to report to you that we don't know anything."

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Tom Sawyer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 02:35:59 pm »

Former public works managers, businessmen indicted on bribery, fraud charges

By DAVID HARPER World Staff Writer
Published: 1/22/2009  2:03 PM
Last Modified: 1/22/2009  2:25 PM

Two former managers in the city’s Public Works Department and four area businessmen have been charged in indictments unsealed Thursday with allegedly participating in bribery and fraud schemes that purportedly involved millions of dollars intended for city streets, bridges and other public works projects.

Larry Wayne Baker, a 52-year-old former design engineering manager, and Albert S. Martinez, a 47-year-old former field engineering manager, are separately charged with either receiving or paying bribes to influence the awarding of contracts by the city of Tulsa for engineering consulting services.

Others charged with various related crimes include Harlan Eugene Yocham, 49, of Sapulpa; Max Elliot Wolf, 56, of Owasso; Kenneth Kirk Shoemaker, 46, of Bartlesville and 48-year-old Stuart Jay Franklin of Claremore.

There are four indictments involved.
Wrinkle
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 02:40:15 pm »

No Poe?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 02:56:18 pm »

I see on the world someone is already blaming Kathy Taylor but it says the two CoT people are former employees. When did they leave and under what circumstances?
MDepr2007
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 03:24:02 pm »

Oh come on , nothing like this would  happen in Tulsa[Tongue]

Bunch of *naysayers* around here
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 03:57:23 pm »

Looks like Baker left in 2006/2007

He worked on the Main Mall remodel (surprise)
mrburns918
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 04:06:52 pm »

I put all blame on Biker Fox.

Mr. Burns

Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 04:16:50 pm »

If Charles Hardt keeps his job after this, Kathy Taylor should definitely lose hers. The s*#t is hitting the fan and our "proactive" CEO Mare is in a reactive crisis mode. Corruption thrives where there is an incompetent lack of supervision or those in authority are willing accomplices. I wonder which category Taylor the Tyrant and Charles Hardt will fall into?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:38:28 pm by Double A » Logged

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 04:25:26 pm »

Reactive crisis mode?  Has she commented yet?

I have to say, I was rather disappointed in the "small fish" nature of the indictment.  It may have been Mudschlock saying this afternoon "Where there's smoke there's fire".  So, it may not all end with these two former officials, but I don't get the connection you are drawing all the way to the mayor's office.  By your logic, sounds like LaFortune could be culpable as well.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:26:27 pm by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 04:46:38 pm »

Yes, they are all corrupt.  Apparently everyone's being removed and OKC is sending some baby sitters up to run the city.

They said something about giving some of it away..."Jenks bridge something something something"

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 06:12:29 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Sawyer

Two former managers in the city’s Public Works Department and four area businessmen have been charged in indictments unsealed Thursday with allegedly participating in bribery and fraud schemes that purportedly involved millions of dollars intended for city streets

Im smelling an Acorn street light scandal...

Streetlighting is such a sacred cow that it might just take a big political shakeup to fix our broken system.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
DowntownNow
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 06:12:36 pm »

I had posted this on TW just a few ago and thought I'd post here...

When its city officials and employees involved in such affairs, the buck ultimately stops at the top. Mayor Taylor may not have had any personal hand in any of this but the responsibility rests on her shoulders for the actions of staff under her. For years the public has been asking for independent audits related to public works and Charles Hardt. I've heard his name and criticism in this town for years and I'm sure the Mayor has as well. Whether a CEO or a Mayor (both in this case apparently), you are responsible for those under you. Do the right thing, investigate this thoroughly, independently and in the open...only then can the public's trust be regained.

And I don't want to hear anymore of the classic mayoral administration rhetoric everytime something occurs...'let's not dwell on the past, from this day forward we will conduct matters in a better fashion.' Its the 'oops, we got busted but we'll do better in the future'...that just shouldnt work for public representatives.

When your consituents demand accountability and transparency, give it to them. That is the least we all deserve for our hard earned tax dollars. Can't believe it takes a federal indictment of contractors and city employees to get this...
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 06:15:19 pm »

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org