A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:36:30 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Refinery smell  (Read 13237 times)
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2009, 06:34:18 am »

The smell of Edmond grosses me out...dog food. Purina has a plant there. I think I'd rather smell the refinery than that God-awful smell. [xx(]
naenae42day
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2009, 06:44:19 am »

You have to admit all those noxious smells and chemicals in the air sure make for some pretty sunrise/sunsets....[:I]
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2009, 08:03:29 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Or Dodge City, Liberal, or Garden City, Kansas.  You can literally smell the stockyards of Dodge 5 miles before you get there.

+1 on Dodge City. Now I know where the phrase "let's get the **** out of Dodge" comes from.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2009, 09:42:12 am »

quote:
Originally posted by bugo

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

I have yet to live in a city that Stinks as much as Tulsa -- other than Tulsa.  No one else has gotten close.  Havn't lived in Houston or Love Canal, but lots of other places and yes, the stockyards in Ft. Worth had a certain odor but nothing as widespread or as noxious as here.  It's a little silly to try and dismiss it.

Move to Montgomery, AL, Savannah, GA, Ashdown (Assdown), AR, or any other town with a paper mill and you'll realize that Tulsa doesn't smell bad at all for a city.

There used to be a paper mill up north of Pensacola and when the wind was just right, we could smell that place 40 miles away.  It was gag inducing.  The smell from across the river is nowhere near as bad as that was.  Especially when it was combined with the Chemstrand plant and the Air Chemicals plant at the same time.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Hometown
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2009, 09:56:09 am »

You guys are proving my point that Tulsans suffer from low self esteem.  You are telling me that being stinky is okay because we are not the worst smelling place on the planet.  I mean, that is no consolation for me.  

I suggest you read Waterboy's post above.  He has nailed the course ahead.

Cannon, You must be one fine Papi.  Yes, sounds like you are being cruised.  

There are a number of very nice gay bars in Tulsa but public sex is a category unto itself.  I'm not sure what the correct stance on public sex is.  Obviously, it's not all born agains since it happens everywhere, I imagine all around the globe.  I guess the general public should be able to go into a park or a public facility without being concerned about seeing public sex.

You know, I've seen it on crowded public buses, in cars in parking lots, in town squares in full moon light.  My neighborhood, Reservoir Hill, was well known as a parking spot for Straight Tulsans.  I have to believe that it didn't all stop at heavy petting.

One of the things that jumps out at you in Mexico are all the couples in public places kissing.

There used to be a gay publication called Mark Damon's Gay Guide that listed cruisy areas around the U.S.  When I was a teenager here there was a gay cruise drive through downtown town that went past the YMCA, the greyhound bus station and a Holiday Inn.  Hustlers would put on their white jeans and walk around until some gay picked them up.

Oops, sorry, off topic.

Back to stinky ....

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2009, 10:04:09 am »

quote:

I have yet to live in a city that Stinks as much as Tulsa -- other than Tulsa.  No one else has gotten close.  Havn't lived in Houston or Love Canal, but lots of other places and yes, the stockyards in Ft. Worth had a certain odor but nothing as widespread or as noxious as here.  It's a little silly to try and dismiss it.

I did live in Houston for three years and Houston by far is the worst-smelling city I've been to/lived in.  Wichita is a close second.  LA never 'stunk', but I found it hard to breath the brief time I was there.

And you're making it sound with your last statement as if your absolving Tulsa from the smell, because, like Ft. Worth, the refinery smell in Tulsa is not widespread, just as the water treatment odor isn't widespread.  The refineries have been there a long time; my dad worked at one for 20 years, and my grandfather at the same one for 25.  The only time I remember the refineries making it smell bad is if the wind was strong out of the west (doesn't happen often).

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2009, 10:30:23 am »

quote:
Hustlers would put on their white jeans and walk around...

We only wore white after Easter and before Labor Day.

Power is nothing till you use it.
rwarn17588
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2009, 10:40:31 am »

quote:

Try Decatur, Ill. Nothing like the aroma of processed soybeans for miles around.

The worst, by far, is the cattle feed lots near Wilderado, Texas, just off I-40 near Amarillo. I grew up on a farm, but that smell will just about knock you over every time you pass it.
rwarn17588
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2009, 10:52:49 am »

quote:

You guys are proving my point that Tulsans suffer from low self esteem.  You are telling me that being stinky is okay because we are not the worst smelling place on the planet.  I mean, that is no consolation for me.  

I'm not a native Tulsan, or an Oklahoman for that matter.

But I've lived a lot of places in my life, and seldom do you live in an area in which the air smells like a Rocky Mountain breeze or whatever baseless cliche you have in mind.

If you live in a city of any size, there's a very good chance that you'll encounter an area where heavy manufacturing is going on, and that something there is gonna stink.

I'm just glad the EPA rules took root about 35 years ago. Those who complain about pollution now have short memories about how bad it truly was a generation ago. I distinctly remember going into St. Louis during the early '70s and seeing the brown haze hanging a few hundred feet in the air. Now, such "haze days" no longer exist. We can certainly get better, but it's a dramatic improvement to what it was.

Hell, even if you grew up in the country (like I did), your nostrils are going to be assaulted periodically by rivers and lakes turning over.
Hometown
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2009, 11:01:35 am »

Waterboy said, "Trouble is, no one around here has documented what effect they are having."

Waterboy I have a feeling that the only way this will ever get resolved is if someone here in Tulsa makes it their "life mission" to fully test the environmental effect of our refineries.

I don't see government resolving the issue unless someone forces them to do so.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org