A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:12:06 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yahoo vs. Google "Who Are You" using  (Read 4189 times)
buzz words
« on: January 22, 2009, 12:17:31 am »

What is the diffrence Yahoo vs. Google I am a little confused what makes one better than the other.

Thats both mail and search engine.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 12:52:01 am »

Not a whole lot, actually.  I like Google better for two reasons:

1.  More robust search engine (IMO).
2.  You aren't required to pay to have SMTP/IMAP connectivity to Google mail (GMail) as you are with Yahoo so you can use your favorite mail client to send/receive email on Google.  I like Yahoo's web interface better than Google, but the ability to use mail clients without paying is a plus.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 01:39:37 am »

Familiarity and habit mostly.  Google is my start page.  I prefer Yahoo Finance for market data though.  Mostly just out of habit though.

Wilbur
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 06:04:20 am »

Depends.

I use Yahoo for my home page.  I like their customization better then the others.  Their home pages just has a better look.

I've tried Google's iGoogle home page, but I just don't use it as much.

I use Google for searching and you can't beat Google Calendar for a calendar program.  Google calendar also syncs with just about any other device, including my Blackberry.

I also use Google's Picasa for a photo management program.  It is also tops.  Do I need to mention Google Earth, Google Maps, .....
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 08:10:18 am »

iGoogle.

I was in the first 1,000 users of gmail (remember gmail invites?) and LOVED the sort, filter, and search abilities it offered.

The search engine is clean and efficient.

Google maps is my favorite, and streetview has only increase that.

Google docs is useful.

I use picasa.

My customized homepage works well for me.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 08:17:51 am »

Google needs to split it's stock 3 for 1 and all will be well.  As of now they are too big for their pants and are starting to act that way.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 08:24:42 am »

Google for search. Yahoo messenger.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 08:39:16 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaspar

Google needs to split it's stock 3 for 1 and all will be well.  As of now they are too big for their pants and are starting to act that way.

How would splitting their stock change that?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 09:35:54 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaspar

Yahoo might think about doing the same; they need to dump Flickr since I don't think it's really all that functional with Yahoo.

And although I like Google, I use Flickr for my photos.  I have the Pro account ($24.95/year), so it's unlimited space and uploads.  I was less than impressed with Picasa.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 09:56:08 am »

I use yahoo as my home page and my main e-mail, I also have a lycos page and secondary e-mail address for when I dont want certain companies e-mailing me. I have had my yahoo e-mail for ten years now and cant even imagine if I was to loose it after all this time.
Google of course is my search monster and I was using mapquest,mapblast etc,etc but have now switched to Google since they upgraded their mapping system.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 11:02:30 am »

Google is best for search. It uses a lot of factors to rank sites so the most likely result you are looking for is at the top. I've had trouble finding sites on yahoo using text copied-and-pasted off the site. I use gmail, google calendar, google docs, google reader and a lot of other features and everything is free.

If you want to look at stocks, read the news, or meet people, go to yahoo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org