A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:10:23 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marshall Brewing Company Website is now online!  (Read 12164 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2009, 10:10:36 am »

quote:
Originally posted by deinstein

quote:
Originally posted by Hoss

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MarshallBrewing

quote:
Originally posted by jne

So are kegs available direct from the brewery?  Come BBQ season...

No due to Oklahoma law, I cannot sell anything direct to the public.  The only people I can sell to are licensed Oklahoma wholesalers.  Which means you have to buy them from liquor stores.  Sorry!

That's stupid.
Is the industry lobbying against this much?

How long have you lived here?  It's been like that for YEARS!

I understand, but does anyone lobby against it?

Not when the big beer makers are for the laws currently as is.  Some have tried before but it never gets anywhere.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 10:11:00 am by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2009, 11:28:15 am »

So I got bored yesterday while the wife was watching TV so I converted the background image from the website into a wallpaper. It only fits a smaller monitor with 1024x768 resolution but its better than nothing. Hopefully Eric and Cubic don't mind me using their image.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/3222256481_0fcdd261f0_o.jpg
rwarn17588
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2009, 01:19:15 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MarshallBrewing

quote:
Originally posted by jne

So are kegs available direct from the brewery?  Come BBQ season...

No due to Oklahoma law, I cannot sell anything direct to the public.  The only people I can sell to are licensed Oklahoma wholesalers.  Which means you have to buy them from liquor stores.  Sorry!

That's stupid.
Is the industry lobbying against this much?

How long have you lived here?  It's been like that for YEARS!

I understand, but does anyone lobby against it?

People do lobby, but the legislature is tied up with neo-teetotalers who want nothing to do with bills that involve alcohol. Sad, but true.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2009, 03:26:04 pm »

quote:

Not when the big beer makers are for the laws currently as is.  Some have tried before but it never gets anywhere.

Eh, if a bill could be passed in Arkansas (15 years ago!) that allows small local breweries to sell direct, it could be done in Oklahoma.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2009, 03:37:41 pm »

Dark, Amber, Bitter, Malty, Strong or not so strong... At least Tulsa is becomming aware that there are more choices than MillerCoorsBud Light.  

I hope that when Marshall becomes well enough established that he will be able to do some limited/specialty runs of beer such as the Boulevard Smokestack series and the likes of Avery's Mephistopheles' Stout(15.92% ABV & $8.00/12 oz bottle for you strong beer nuts). For now, he seems to be doing a good job establishing a core product line.  Keep buying the core products and I expect some of the specialty brews will come.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2009, 07:50:05 pm »

Oklahoma alcohol laws are amazingly stupid.  No point to any of the following:

1) No sales in grocery stores
2) Nos ales on Sunday
3) No direct sales even with permit
4) No "mixer" sales at liqueur stores
5) Pretty much everything with beer and wine production
6) 3 tier distribution

Generally, the voters are too stupid to understand what alcohol is.  Unlike people in 40+ of the other states we can't handle pop AND alcohol at the same store.  And we, for some reason, need producers to give it to distributors to hand it to a store before we can safely buy it.

And Sundays.  Oh man Sundays.  We'd all be alcoholics if we could get wine on Sundays.  It's the only day alcoholics forget to buy their vodka. They shake and go through withdrawals all day Sunday because they can't help but be sober.

OR... people who abuse alcohol and kids who shouldn't have it get as much as they damn well please and responsible adults are punished by paying more, being inconvenienced, and having our selection limited.  

Stupid.  Welcome to the 1950's in the rest of the nation.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2009, 08:36:07 pm »

The liquor laws in Oklahoma would almost make you think the liquor distribution channels are run by the mob like they were when Oklahoma was still dry.

I just returned from OKC.  I was talking to the owner of the Red Dirt store in Bricktown and mentioned it was a shame he couldn't sell beer.  If you aren't familiar with the store, it's an all-Oklahoma product line and is operated by the fellow that has the river boat concession in the canal.

At any rate, one of his buddy's is starting a brewery in OKC, with first kegs supposed to be out in March and bottles by May.  Apparently they will have an Imperial Stout.  Now we can look forward to a few months from now when Inteller is telling us Oklahoma-made Imperial Stout is inferior. [}:)]

And, FYI, I'm enjoying a bottle of Sunset Wheat as we speak.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2009, 08:38:09 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

The liquor laws in Oklahoma would almost make you think the liquor distribution channels are run by the mob like they were when Oklahoma was still dry.

I just returned from OKC.  I was talking to the owner of the Red Dirt store in Bricktown and mentioned it was a shame he couldn't sell beer.  If you aren't familiar with the store, it's an all-Oklahoma product line and is operated by the fellow that has the river boat concession in the canal.

At any rate, one of his buddy's is starting a brewery in OKC, with first kegs supposed to be out in March and bottles by May.  Apparently they will have an Imperial Stout.  Now we can look forward to a few months from now when Inteller is telling us Oklahoma-made Imperial Stout is inferior. [}:)]

You mean Sundown Wheat, or some other brew?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2009, 09:09:14 am »

quote:

quote:

Sundown, Sunset...whatever. [Wink]

You are correct, must've been on my 2nd or third bottle when I posted that.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2009, 09:20:02 am »

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sundown, Sunset...whatever. [Wink]

You are correct, must've been on my 2nd or third bottle when I posted that.

Ha!  I figured as much.  Did the same to me when I was drinking them.

Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2009, 05:22:05 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by nathanm

quote:

Eh, if a bill could be passed in Arkansas (15 years ago!) that allows small local breweries to sell direct, it could be done in Oklahoma.

I think that would be a great start - allowing Oklahoma based breweries to sell direct. If Oklahoma allowed grocery stores to stock alcohol, that would pretty much doom liquor stores. But the convenience of having it all in one place would trump this setback. It would be interesting to see how existing stores reworked their layout to fit alcohol. In other states, the liquor section is a pretty significant section of the store.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:23:15 pm by Nik » Logged
joiei
City Father

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2009, 07:02:48 pm »

I don't think liquor stores would be doomed if alcohol sales were allowed in grocery stores.  In several states where I have lived they existed, Florida, California, Oregon, Louisiana all have both liquor in grocery stores and liquor stores.  There are some pretty poor liquor stores in Tulsa and would not be missed if alcohol was sold in Food Pyramid stores.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
rwarn17588
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2009, 08:18:35 pm »

I just had Marshall's pilsner on tap at The Boundary tonight. It was terrific, as usual for the brand. Can't wait for it to show up in bottles.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2009, 08:40:48 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nik

I think that would be a great start - allowing Oklahoma based breweries to sell direct. If Oklahoma allowed grocery stores to stock alcohol, that would pretty much doom liquor stores. But the convenience of having it all in one place would trump this setback. It would be interesting to see how existing stores reworked their layout to fit alcohol. In other states, the liquor section is a pretty significant section of the store.

Other states still have liquor stores.  Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, New Mexico, Minnesota, Wisconsin - all have regular liquor laws that Reasor's could have an alcohol section.  But I've been to a liquor store in each of those states.  It's just competition and good liquor stores would still do well.

FURTHERMORE - who cares?  Sorry for the people that own that business, but laws should not be in place to restrict the public in order to artificially prop up a business.  Perhaps they could make deals to move in-house at Reasors or where ever.  Maybe they'd have to offer better service, selection, location, prices (or like Ranch Acres, keep offering good service, great selection, and a willingness to try and get any product you can think of) - you know, compete.

A law that does nothing but protect existing business from competition is harmful to the majority of the population.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2009, 09:14:26 am »

quote:
Originally posted by joiei

I don't think liquor stores would be doomed if alcohol sales were allowed in grocery stores.  In several states where I have lived they existed, Florida, California, Oregon, Louisiana all have both liquor in grocery stores and liquor stores.  There are some pretty poor liquor stores in Tulsa and would not be missed if alcohol was sold in Food Pyramid stores.

Louisiana has beer and wine sales in grocery stores but Liquor is still carried in a separate store (although most times next door)

Of course you can also buy alcoholic drinks in a drive through, so we don't necessarily want to copy from Louisiana.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org