A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:23:56 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Congratulations to President Obama  (Read 24283 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 02:29:18 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TulsaFan-inTexas

quote:
Originally posted by Gaspar

I hope that he is the most successful president in the history of the United States.  We need it.

Me too Gaspar. I'm going to be a fanboy of the Obama administration for some time and hope for great success.

I am never a fan.  Fanaticism is devoid of logic.  

I'm sure he may do things that I disagree with, and I have no problem voicing my opinion, but he is my president, and a representative of the country I love, so my hopes and prayers are with him and the burden he has chosen to bear.

God bless him.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 04:17:56 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by grahambino

quote:
Originally posted by guido911

quote:

quote:

And this is why I will be all over this administration over the next four years:

http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/01/20/bush-mocked-as-he-arrives-on-inauguration-dais/

if you don't like America, you can GET OUT!

I don't like America because I am going to treat Obama the same way you and the left treated Bush?

Bwahahahah. [}:)]

Seriously, are you one of those who thinks not wanting to payer higher taxes is unpatriotic (a la Biden)? Not supporting the banking bailout is unpatriotic (a la Pelosi)? How about earlier retirement being unpatriotic? Now, not wishing Obama the greatest amount of luck is apparently unpatriotic and persons that don't should leave the country. You are a joke.

Like Red Arrow, I paid my price for citizenship and right to live in this country through military service, unlike the overwhelming number of persons on this forum (and that are probably at the inauguration) paid their price for citizenship by their parents simply knocking boots on American soil.

I can only hope for America's sake you didn't "knock boots on American soil."

IF YOU DON'T LIKE AMERICA, GET OUT!

That was clever. Lemme guess, you graduated from high school; right? The way you deftly ignored my entire post and simply repeated what you said earlier. Classic debate technique.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 04:36:06 pm »

quote:

Like Red Arrow, I paid my price for citizenship and right to live in this country through military service, unlike the overwhelming number of persons on this forum (and that are probably at the inauguration) paid their price for citizenship by their parents simply knocking boots on American soil.

Unlike Red Arrow, you have this holier-than-thou attitude, apparently due to your military service. At least now I understand where you're coming from.

This isn't Israel, nor any of the other myriad nations around the world that have compulsory military service. While we should all be grateful for your choice to serve your nation, it does not make you any more of a citizen than the rest of us, nor does it make you better than anybody else.

I've known both total ****heads in the military and great people. Some of them deserve great respect, others are worthless slugs even after their military experience. Since I don't know you personally, I can't say where you fall in that spectrum.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 04:38:45 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by nathanm

quote:

I've known both total ****heads in the military and great people. Some of them deserve great respect, others are worthless slugs even after their military experience. Since I don't know you personally, I can't say where you fall in that spectrum.

Well thank goodness I don't give a rat's #ss what you think. Whew.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 06:06:50 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And this is why I will be all over this administration over the next four years:

http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/01/20/bush-mocked-as-he-arrives-on-inauguration-dais/

if you don't like America, you can GET OUT!

I don't like America because I am going to treat Obama the same way you and the left treated Bush?

Bwahahahah. [}:)]

Seriously, are you one of those who thinks not wanting to payer higher taxes is unpatriotic (a la Biden)? Not supporting the banking bailout is unpatriotic (a la Pelosi)? How about earlier retirement being unpatriotic? Now, not wishing Obama the greatest amount of luck is apparently unpatriotic and persons that don't should leave the country. You are a joke.

I can only hope for America's sake you didn't "knock boots on American soil."

IF YOU DON'T LIKE AMERICA, GET OUT!

That was clever. Lemme guess, you graduated from high school; right? The way you deftly ignored my entire post and simply repeated what you said earlier. Classic debate technique.

Beats 'FO you POS', I think..

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 06:26:01 pm »

quote:

Expecting civility from you is like expecting the Pope to repudiate Catholicism, but at least I can say I try.

I just don't grasp how you get off thinking you're better than everyone else simply because you served in the military.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 06:29:13 pm »

Congratulations. This day will be in the history books. I am glad I got to see it.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 07:36:15 pm »

quote:

quote:

Expecting civility from you is like expecting the Pope to repudiate Catholicism, but at least I can say I try.

I just don't grasp how you get off thinking you're better than everyone else simply because you served in the military.

Not better than everyone else...just Hoss and any bozo that tells me to get out of the country that I once served to protect so those persons have the right to tell me to get out. If you have a problem with the latter category of people, then I really see no need to be civil to you.  

Hey Hoss, it's "FU you POS". Man, you could screw up a wet dream.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 11:00:46 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not better than everyone else...just Hoss and any bozo that tells me to get out of the country that I once served to protect so those persons have the right to tell me to get out. If you have a problem with the latter category of people, then I really see no need to be civil to you.  

Hey Hoss, it's "FU you POS". Man, you could screw up a wet dream.

Guess you sure showed me, eh?

Hell of a way to represent the Attorney profession.

Sheesh.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:06:29 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 12:51:19 am »

quote:

Although I think he was being somewhat ironic (plenty of wingers have said "if you don't like it leave" over the last 8 years), I don't agree with anybody who says that.

Sure, leave if you want to, it's a free country. But it's just not appropriate nor helpful for anybody to tell you or anybody else to GTFO. (I don't even think Bush should be run out of the country, despite my burning hatred for the results of his policy of letting the children run rampant)

Regardless, incivility to those who haven't been directly offensive to you isn't helpful to having an exchange of ideas. (Hell, incivility to people who have offended you isn't productive either, but at least it's understandable!)

I tend to look at it this way: Trolls will say what they want regardless, and getting riled up only encourages them. Besides, it's great fun when people have the freedom to put their foot in their mouth and make an donkey of themselves.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 01:41:02 am »

quote:

quote:

Although I think he was being somewhat ironic (plenty of wingers have said "if you don't like it leave" over the last 8 years), I don't agree with anybody who says that.

Sure, leave if you want to, it's a free country. But it's just not appropriate nor helpful for anybody to tell you or anybody else to GTFO. (I don't even think Bush should be run out of the country, despite my burning hatred for the results of his policy of letting the children run rampant)

Regardless, incivility to those who haven't been directly offensive to you isn't helpful to having an exchange of ideas. (Hell, incivility to people who have offended you isn't productive either, but at least it's understandable!)

I tend to look at it this way: Trolls will say what they want regardless, and getting riled up only encourages them. Besides, it's great fun when people have the freedom to put their foot in their mouth and make an donkey of themselves.

Keep it clear that I never told him to leave the country.  His statement infers that to some degree if people don't read through them.  While I absolutely do not agree with most of what he has to say, I would NEVER tell anyone to leave the country just because they don't share my viewpoints.  That's just shameful and has no place in any kind of political discourse.

I also try and avoid the ad hominem as much as possible.  He?  I'll let his posts reflect the answer to that.  Just because I can't get the exact reference to the ad hominem he spewed out, he goes on to say something about seminal emissions or some such.  Real piece of work there.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 01:43:05 am by Hoss » Logged

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 06:55:55 am »

I see that our extremist (5th grade playground, Jerry Springer, emotionocratic) posters have been officially installed (or at least until they get booted).

I saw absolutely nothing to be critical about. Yesterday.  It was probably the best inauguration I have seen.  Organized, and honorable it put the world in awe.  No matter what your political leaning, yesterday we showed ourselves as a country of organized, joyous, and hopeful people. Yesterday we were very hard to hate.

So straighten up and behave like grown men or women or transsexuals (to be politically correct).  Debate honorably, and if you feel that name calling or threats are appropriate, then send in private messages or schedule a time to fight on the playground and we will all show up to jeer, but don't waste pages here.

I love to read differing opinions, but it becomes difficult when I have to sift through childish bickering.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 07:09:45 am »

The speech was the limpest POS I have ever heard.  It was vapid, all elbows, that should have been edited by Obama's ghoster Bill Ayers.  The only trainwreck that eclipsed the speech was Michelle's toilet-paper 'gown' and her maniacal grin with those Cruella DeVille eyebrows. Oh well it is what we get for allowing the Frat Boy and she-with-the-medicated-Joker-smile to hole up at 1600 for eight years . . . there is nothing new under the sun . . .
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 03:46:51 pm »

I am glad that Obama was elected, glad to see a grownup in the house.  (Wish we could find more grownups on this forum!)  I was totally moved by the election night celebration in Grant Park, as well as the crowds of people who showed up to celebrate the inaguration.  Still trying to understand why it affected me so powerfully.  

Perhaps it was seeing so many diverse people coming together in celebration and peace.  Perhaps it was seeing people get excited about the democratic process.  Perhaps it was my gratitude for a president who does not appear to be cynical or incompetant.  Perhaps it is because when Obama speaks, I believe he is sincere.  

It's not so much that Obama is a "rock star."  That's not it.  I'm not into the cult of personality.  But if he can get millions of people engaged in the civic process, motivated to succeed, and excited about working together to solve problems....if he can prove that the pen really is mightier than the sword...it's a pretty good day to celebrate.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 03:57:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

I am glad that Obama was elected, glad to see a grownup in the house.  (Wish we could find more grownups on this forum!)  I was totally moved by the election night celebration in Grant Park, as well as the crowds of people who showed up to celebrate the inaguration.  Still trying to understand why it affected me so powerfully.  

Perhaps it was seeing so many diverse people coming together in celebration and peace.  Perhaps it was seeing people get excited about the democratic process.  Perhaps it was my gratitude for a president who does not appear to be cynical or incompetant.  Perhaps it is because when Obama speaks, I believe he is sincere.  

It's not so much that Obama is a "rock star."  That's not it.  I'm not into the cult of personality.  But if he can get millions of people engaged in the civic process, motivated to succeed, and excited about working together to solve problems....if he can prove that the pen really is mightier than the sword...it's a pretty good day to celebrate.

President Bush had 8 years to earn the disdain of most Americans.  President Obama will get equal opportunity to do that. [Wink]

Going into a new admin, there's nothing but optimism to be had.  Especially after the last four years of the Bush admin.

I'm somewhat cynical about some of President Obama's cabinet decisions.  With all the promises of real change, we got a lot of DC veterans.  

I really do have a problem with going ahead with a nomination of someone to whom the IRS will report who is a tax scofflaw.  At worst, this guy tried to keep from paying his taxes.  At best, he was totally ignorant of the tax code, but only after being advised multiple times by the IMF that he would owe SE taxes on his pay.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org