A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:33:26 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Mayor Taylor Practicing Green?  (Read 6224 times)
Wilbur
« on: January 19, 2009, 05:02:12 pm »

I know the City of Tulsa promotes being green and doing what we can to help Tulsa be green.  

http://www.cityoftulsa.org/BeGreen/index.asp

But, does the Mayor do what she preaches?  All these trips lately she's taken, such as to Washington DC and Miami (I'm sure there's plenty more)....  were probably aboard her private jet.  Not very green.

And the home she and the hubby live in, which is the size of a couple of homes (and I'd live in in a heart beat).... how green is that?

Sounds like Al Gore, doesn't it?  Say one thing, but do another.  Or, are we paying for (that joke of a slogan) 'carbon offsets'?

Not that I buy the whole global warming argument, but seems kinda two-faced.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 06:58:14 pm »

I don't think the Mayor was very green when she built her home or bought a plane, but she is now. I take a little bit of the credit for it, as I do with all elected officials. I helped make the Mayors before her green as well. That is my job. Everybody is helping. Green has become important.

Her home was built very energy efficient including using geo-thermal heating. When I went to a party at her house years ago, she didn't recycle and now she does. She is now constantly asking me questions on green issues and is working on establishing green policies for everything from purchasing to equipment management.

She is very focused on green issues right now, especially on what the city can do. She has also been instrumental in raising money for tree planting efforts.

She ain't a phoney on green. Believe me, I can tell. I have worked for 40 Mayors in eleven different towns in my career. When nobody is watching, I have seen her picking up litter and trying to recycle.

It is hard to be a perfect greenie. I drive a big truck because I have to haul recycling bins and trash around a few days each week. I feel bad about my poor gas mileage, but need it most days to do my job. We also had PSO come by last week and I agreed to let them take out ten mature trees out of our backyard. I feel bad about killing trees, but plan to just replant ones that sre a little shorter and further away from their powerlines.

Mayor Susan Savage worked hard on water quality issues and her first executive order was to buy recycled content paper for the print shop. Mayor Bill LaFortune got involved in our air quality issue and helped improve our wastewater system. They were both green Mayors when they left office. Mayor Kathy Taylor is greener than both of them now.

Power is nothing till you use it.
MDepr2007
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 07:56:43 pm »

Being Green is like voting for Obama [Cheesy]
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 09:13:11 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MDepr2007

Being Green is like voting for Obama [Cheesy]

Trendy?
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 09:32:22 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

It is hard to be a perfect greenie. I drive a big truck because I have to haul recycling bins and trash around a few days each week. I feel bad about my poor gas mileage, but need it most days to do my job. .

They make CNG trucks, they've been around quite awhile. It must not bother you that much to ignore an available greener option that's been around for at least a decade.

Keeping City Hall lit up like a Christmas tree at night when nobody is there is so green. Private jet contrails are so green.[sarcasm off] What about Da Mare's house in Florida? Lemme guess, it's powered solely by her egomaniacal sense of self importance and tyrannical authoritarianism, otherwise known as CEO Marepower.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 10:02:41 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

They make CNG trucks, they've been around quite awhile. It must not bother you that much to ignore an available greener option that's been around for at least a decade.

I have been looking at them. The infrastructure to use them (enough refueling stations) has not been around for a decade...so no, it hasn't bothered me. Thanks for caring.

I do have an all electric street legal vehicle that I try to drive on ozone alert days.

Aren't you a carpenter that chops down trees?

Power is nothing till you use it.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 08:13:13 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

carpenters don't chop down trees.....that would be a lumberjack.

they dress in women's clothing and hang around in bars
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org