A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:43:22 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TMAPC members terms expiring  (Read 8963 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 01:40:01 pm »

WB, do you remember when the Open Door Arts Cooperative was on the corner west of what is now the Full Moon, back in the early '80's?  That was Cherry St. at it's Bohemian best.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Limabean
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 08:19:07 pm »

I think that is what the pro-development faction will never  understand. Rip out all of the character of a city and infill with new development and your city no longer has a soul. All of a sudden new Tulsa looks like amy other city. Guess what? Now no one wants to live here, no one wants to visit here because Tulsa isn't special anymore.
inteller
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 08:57:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Limabean

I think that is what the pro-development faction will never  understand. Rip out all of the character of a city and infill with new development and your city no longer has a soul. All of a sudden new Tulsa looks like amy other city. Guess what? Now no one wants to live here, no one wants to visit here because Tulsa isn't special anymore.

the problem is a distinct lack of local, benevolent developers.  we either have manevolent local developers with their own distorted vision of the city, or you have out of town people creating Anytown.  you have a few small time developers who are interested in maintaining compatibility, but they also don't have wide ranging visions of change like their evil counterparts.
waterboy
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 09:06:05 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

WB, do you remember when the Open Door Arts Cooperative was on the corner west of what is now the Full Moon, back in the early '80's?  That was Cherry St. at it's Bohemian best.

Just vaguely. I was preoccupied with raising kids and selling advertising at that time. It was Bohemian for sure. I remember buying some Puka(?) beads there in the seventies.

Whenever I eat at Full Moon I remind my wife that I had my transmission replaced in that building when I was in high school! It was later remodeled into a teahouse by someone with real creative vision in the late seventies before finally settling in as a bar/restaurant which has been the only successful formula for it.

Just like youth is wasted on the young, power and wealth is wasted on Tulsa infill developers.
Limabean
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 02:16:15 pm »

Perhaps while we still have some  community charm intact, everyone can take a clue from the current economic crisis and rethink the paradigm under which we do development in Tulsa.
We are currently in the visioning process with PlaniTulsa.
How will we as a community implement that vision?
Will a new vision be implemented by an old power structure?
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 11:26:40 pm »

quote:

Will a new vision be implemented by an old power structure?

Excellent question that everyone needs to be asking themselves about this process before it gets much further along.

Personally, I think we need to dump INCOG, replace them with the city planning department, revamp the TMAPC and establish planning districts like Bates illustrates in this UTW column.

Whatever happens, I think the final version of the comp plan update ultimately needs to go to a vote of the people for final approval, adoption, and implementation.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
inteller
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 07:25:24 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

Whatever happens, I think the final version of the comp plan update ultimately needs to go to a vote of the people for final approval, adoption, and implementation.

I dont disagree, only problem is most people wouldn't have a clue what they are voting on since the who exercise didn't try to reach out much.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org