A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:02:03 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW DATE 02/18 Forest Orchard/Hillcrest workshop  (Read 6505 times)
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« on: January 10, 2009, 11:32:10 am »

Description Forest Orchard/Hillcrest/Cherry Street small area workshop.

When: Wed, February 18, 6pm – 9pm

Where: 1244 S Utica, Tulsa, OK.

Location: First Evangelical Lutheran Church (Fellowship Hall) 1244 S Utica, Tulsa, OK.

Doors open at 5:30pm. Rescheduled from Jan 26, due to inclement weather.

Anybody know exactly what the map boundaries are for this workshop? My guess, judging from the description, would be 11th to 15th and Utica to Peoria, however Hillcrest includes areas east of Utica that potentially could be included as well, maybe as far as Lewis. It would be nice if Planitulsa would include a map of the entire area to be covered in the workshop.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:57:59 pm by Double A » Logged

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:56:46 am »

I grew up in this area and I don't live too far away from it now, but I really don't think I would want to provide any input on how this neighborhood should look...I don't know enough about what the residents want from the area.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 04:53:53 pm »

It appears that the Hillcrest/Forrest Orchard small area workshop monicker is quite misleading because the area shown on the workshop map includes areas of Swan Lake, Tracy Park, the Pearl District, Lewiston Gardens, North Maple Ridge, Yorktown, Kendall Whittier, and Renaissance. The boundaries appear to be from (roughly) 5th St. to 17th and Atlanta to the Inner Dispersal Loop.  

<center>
</center>
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 05:23:16 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

It appears that the Hillcrest/Forrest Orchard small area workshop monicker is quite misleading because the area shown on the workshop map includes areas of Swan Lake, Tracy Park, the Pearl District, Lewiston Gardens, North Maple Ridge, Yorktown, Kendall Whittier, and Renaissance. The boundaries appear to be from (roughly) 5th St. to 17th and Atlanta to the Inner Dispersal Loop.  

It's weird that they would include that area of Renaissance.

---Robert
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:51:14 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TURobY

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

It's weird that they would include that area of Renaissance.

Yeah, when I first saw this workshop posted I figured from the description that the area in question would be from Peoria to Utica(maybe even as far as Lewis) and 11th to 15th. Considering that the boundaries for Forrest Orchard are Peoria to Utica and 11th to the B.A., Cherry St. is generally considered from Utica to Peoria along 15th(the Cherry St. Village neighborhood boundaries are from Utica to Peoria and 15th St. to the B.A.), and that there are parts of Hillcrest's campus east of Utica; I really didn't expect this workshop to encompass any areas other than these.

Then again, I really shouldn't expect clarity from the folks at PlaniTulsa given how things have played out thus far.  

<center>
</center>
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 06:07:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

I grew up in this area and I don't live too far away from it now, but I really don't think I would want to provide any input on how this neighborhood should look...I don't know enough about what the residents want from the area.

I don't live to far away from the area either and had some ambivalent feelings about going myself, until I saw the map. I live in Lewiston Gardens so it looks like this will be affecting me according to the map.

BTW, a few weeks notice of this workshop by posting it on their website and no media coverage is total B.S.

<center>
</center>
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 03:03:35 pm »

Workshop map of area.

gunboat granny
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 04:54:47 pm »

Aren't we getting a little hung up on words, names and titles here?  This area is what it has been defined to be.  Would it be better to call it Hillcrest-pearlcherry-cententral-whittiurtica-maplelew-swannitrac-yorkisanse-cemitaryouterloop.  Then would you come?

I live INSIDE the loop in the four block Gunboat Park neighborhood.  I figure I belong with all these neighborhoods more than the inner loop parking lot! (down town)  And my house is on the photo right on the very tiniest edge.  I would say, if you are interested in an area: grew up in it, want to live in it, have family in it, just like to be in it and have ideas for it.....come share your input!  Or just watch!  I went to one of the big PlaniTulsa gigs and putting the little stickers on the map is totally fun!

What other chance are you going to have?  None of this is written in stone and its not just for the people who live here now.  This is brainstorming a plan for the future.  I love this area of the city and I want it to be even better for my grandkids and their kids!  No one is going to turn you away!
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 10:47:52 pm »

Good workshop. I'm happy for the most part with what I saw on the maps and generally agreed with where and what most of the tables came up with for how the area should develop. Props to PlaniTulsa for letting folks know where the HP neighborhoods were and other areas like the Pearl that already have plans in place for how they desire to grow or not.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:49:23 pm by Double A » Logged

<center>
</center>
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 10:41:41 pm »

Bates Covered it in his column this week:

FEBRUARY 25, 2009

Seeing the Forest Orchard for the Trees

Inner city, core neighborhoods must be strengthened if Tulsa is to thrive as a progressive city

BY MICHAEL D. BATES

<center>
</center>
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org