A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:41:00 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Gaza Violence Protest  (Read 26269 times)
jmhuntin
« on: January 03, 2009, 12:47:34 am »

The Tulsa World shut down commentary on their website report on the Gaza violence protest at 71st and Memorial, so let's start posting commentary here.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 12:49:32 am by jmhuntin » Logged
MDepr2007
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:53:00 am »

Why ? Was there a fight for the corner with the "I hate Bush" people
jmhuntin
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 12:59:49 am »

I started this, so I'll throw in my two cents.  It's amazing the mentality of local Palestinians/Arabs/Muslims who would support the actions of Hamas.  Hamas started firing rockets into southern Israel, and they don't expect a response?  Hamas is a terrorist organization dedicated to the destruction of Israel and obviously doesn't care for the well-being of its own people, or its militants would not have fired rockets without provocation.  If the Tulsans in this protest who support the actions of Hamas want the violence to stop, then they should push their brethren overseas to recognize Israel's right to exist and sign a peace treaty.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:01:19 am by jmhuntin » Logged
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 06:04:04 am »

Hummus
INGREDIENTS

2 cups canned garbanzo beans, drained
1/3 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, halved
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pinch paprika
1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS
Place the garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, salt and garlic in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl.

Drizzle olive oil over the garbanzo bean mixture. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley.

Power is nothing till you use it.
lydiem
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 09:48:07 am »

It's amazing the mentality of local Palestinians/Arabs/Muslims who would support the actions of Hamas.  

==> It's amazing the mentality of some others who are only capable of seeing terrorism in others' actions!!!

Hamas started firing rockets into southern Israel, and they don't expect a response?  

==> It's a rather shortsighted view of history !!!

Hamas is a terrorist organization dedicated to the destruction of Israel and obviously doesn't care for the well-being of its own people, or its militants would not have fired rockets without provocation.  

==> German nazis used to rely on similar methods of retaliation: One German killed, 50 civilians executed!  Here in this case, the ratio doubles: 4 Israeli killed, more than 400 Palestinians massacred !  Frankly, I wonder who should be labeled "terrorists" !!!!

If the Tulsans in this protest who support the actions of Hamas want the violence to stop, then they should push their brethren overseas to recognize Israel's right to exist and sign a peace treaty.

==> Of course, Israel should exist!  But why should this be at the expense of the Palestinians' quality of life?  Why park Gaza within a wall like a huge prison, declare embargo, separate its inhabitants from the rest of the world, and condemn a whole population to starve away from the international gaze?

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 10:05:40 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

Hummus
INGREDIENTS

2 cups canned garbanzo beans, drained
1/3 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, halved
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pinch paprika
1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS
Place the garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, salt and garlic in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl.

Drizzle olive oil over the garbanzo bean mixture. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley.

I recommend a spicy Hungarian paprika for the sprinkle.  It adds just the right amount of bite.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:06:48 am by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 10:10:20 am »

A co-worker and I play the game 'Hamas and Israel.'  I keep peppering him with rubber bands, paper wads, and after a while he gets angry and hits me in the head with a brick! Ha ha!

NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE PALESTINIANS.  Much less Hamas.  Hamas is aligned with the Muslim Brotherhood, who seek Islamic states in Egypt, Jordan, anywhere there is a secular state.  There is going to be a great big wall around Gaza before too long.

Truth be told, if'n I were a Palestinian I would support Hamas.  If I did not, I would be dead.
lydiem
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 11:34:48 am »

People whose voice is silenced will, indeed, attempt any mean to express the voice that the international community does not want to hear.  And that voice, will most likely be expressed in anger.

Obviously millions of people demonstrating around the world care about the human rights of palestinians to be heard and for them to exist without facing constant threats of mass-destruction.  Human rights are not limited to heavily armed nations.

Furthermore, current raids and mass-killings laounced by Israelis against Palestinians have breached the fourth Geneva Convention calling for the protection of civilians in war. Most of the casualties are civilians.

I, too, used to be an unconditional supporter of Israel's existence, until the Sabra and Shatilla massacre took place in 1982, followed by more crimes against humanity perpetrated since then by Israel until today.  The 1982 massacre sadly opened my eyes about how the victims of nazi Germany had turned into nazis themselves, very much like an abused child turns into an abusive parent, thus perpetuating the cycles of violence, keeping in mind that violence breeds more violence.

Now, this does not mean that I do not understand today's Israeli reactions .  I do!  I actually understand the sufferings of both sides.  But, this is not by means of repeated violent reactions that solutions can be found.  The more violence, the more reactions in despair and anger, and the more suicide bombers you'll get with people who do not have anything to lose but their life, finding in death a meaning that life fails to provide.  Basic psychology!  Does take a PhD to understand this simple logic!
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 11:41:50 am »

Hamas is no longer a terrorist organization. They are a functional and in fact freely elected government of the independent state entity that known is as Gaza. They have territory, security forces and a citizenry that they are responsible for the safety and well-being of.

In continually firing rockets and sending suicide bombers into a neighboring state they are not committing acts of terrorism, they are committing acts of war.

quote:

==> Of course, Israel should exist! But why should this be at the expense of the Palestinians' quality of life? Why park Gaza within a wall like a huge prison, declare embargo, separate its inhabitants from the rest of the world, and condemn a whole population to starve away from the international gaze?

Hamas has as it's stated goal the complete destruction of Israel. Israel pulled out of Gaza ceding control to the Palestinians but the terrorist attacks never stopped. Hamas then won some elections and violently drove out the rival Fatah movement taking complete control of Gaza. At that point Gaza became a state under the control of Hamas but and they never stopped attacking Israel which led to the Israeli blockade of Gaza and now bombing. It's not that complicated.

Israel's response may not be proportional, but it is certainly justified.

If the criminal drug gangs won elections in Mexico and started lobbing crude rockets into El Paso and Brownsville what kind of response do you think the United States would have?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 11:44:58 am by swake » Logged
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 12:06:55 pm »

Very informative video about the Palestinian-Israeli conflict:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfiev_lk5_A&ytsession=fvStBn8nZlWOljmMZ5gIaY4D7VwJPFvu6AyDVsyV8U2QX9fwIuvGNXI3Cw0hXuEAj0yByA3IpCgju2adAm7gQXR7CKkv5O9l9GA3LI62qUmRNzl6hnQD6aNdgqpFirGS635iYnIW1-Br21dp-E0wVlJSuhVcyXMey2I1WFPfuryV_dPoQ2rJAunD7ajGKcaD7QcT7j_b7WqnjCDt-fB-VJkmQIE2wCR1hi3NtEUjTA8z3kT3Yq7mF4dnLhz725NuEYBec6LeWhy-CV0KSW-1Pi8wa1Tg0YAzYXFUmW0feuycPz6b2xHO56g6-v_xLujK2TpLFTQBn6i1HqOm4Ejp-XJBun3sJIqn

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 12:54:40 pm »

The ground invasion is apparently underway. Israel, wipe Hamas out!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28404637/

MichaelBates
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 01:20:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by swake

Hamas is no longer a terrorist organization. They are a functional and in fact freely elected government of the independent state entity that known is as Gaza. They have territory, security forces and a citizenry that they are responsible for the safety and well-being of.

In continually firing rockets and sending suicide bombers into a neighboring state they are not committing acts of terrorism, they are committing acts of war.

quote:

==> Of course, Israel should exist! But why should this be at the expense of the Palestinians' quality of life? Why park Gaza within a wall like a huge prison, declare embargo, separate its inhabitants from the rest of the world, and condemn a whole population to starve away from the international gaze?

Hamas has as it's stated goal the complete destruction of Israel. Israel pulled out of Gaza ceding control to the Palestinians but the terrorist attacks never stopped. Hamas then won some elections and violently drove out the rival Fatah movement taking complete control of Gaza. At that point Gaza became a state under the control of Hamas but and they never stopped attacking Israel which led to the Israeli blockade of Gaza and now bombing. It's not that complicated.

Israel's response may not be proportional, but it is certainly justified.

If the criminal drug gangs won elections in Mexico and started lobbing crude rockets into El Paso and Brownsville what kind of response do you think the United States would have?

Well said, swake.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 01:45:25 pm »

So a people who've have their property taken from them by an army that's invaded and occupied their land, people who've been forced onto a small patch of ground and then denied basic necessities or the means of acquiring them through their labor, people who've watched as a wall went up between them and their former homes, those people are to blame when violence inevitably erupts?

I'm not talking about the Palestinians.  I'm talking about the Warsaw Ghetto in 1940.  If it was morally reprehensible when the German army did that to Poland's Jews, how is it less reprehensible when today's Israelis do it to the Palestinians?  Is morality so dependent on our world view?

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 01:58:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ed W

So a people who've have their property taken from them by an army that's invaded and occupied their land, people who've been forced onto a small patch of ground and then denied basic necessities or the means of acquiring them through their labor, people who've watched as a wall went up between them and their former homes, those people are to blame when violence inevitably erupts?

I'm not talking about the Palestinians.  I'm talking about the Warsaw Ghetto in 1940.  If it was morally reprehensible when the German army did that to Poland's Jews, how is it less reprehensible when today's Israelis do it to the Palestinians?  Is morality so dependent on our world view?

Not much difference between the UN endorsing the formation of the Israeli State and genocidal warmongers on a mission of extermination? Like comparing a tricycle with a Cannondale idn't it?
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 02:38:14 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ed W

Wow, what unbelievable crap that was. Take a history course for gawd's sake.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org