A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:23:39 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Once a week trash pickup  (Read 36300 times)
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« on: December 31, 2008, 01:31:42 pm »

The city is once again considering moving to once a week trash pickup:

quote:
An independent study of Tulsa's trash service recommends moving the entire city to a once-a-week, cart-based collection that includes separate recycling and yard waste pickups.

The shift would result in having a uniform service citywide, reducing costs and sending much less trash to the landfill, according to the 136-page report by R.W. Beck, a Seattle consulting firm. A story about the new study was first reported Monday on tulsaworld.com.

Now it's up to the Tulsa Authority for the Recovery of Energy — the city's trash board — to convince elected leaders.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20081230_11_A1_RickFr151127

Personally, once a week trash pick up would suit me just fine.  I usually don't have enough trash for the second pick up anyway, and I like that they will take lawn waste to be mulched.  However, I wish they expand the recycling program along with the reduction.  I would like to see weekly recycling, just like trash pick up.  Maybe I'm just getting old, but I can never remember which week I am suppose to put out my recycling.  Also, I would like to see them pick up more curbside recycling--like metal cans, aluminum foil, more plastics, phone books, & plastic bags.  Many cities pick these items up curbside, and it would help to reduce the amount of waste for landfills.  Finally, as part of the yard waste disposal, I would love to see a program like we had in Virginia.  On designated dates, you could simply rake your leaves to the curb, and the city would come vacuum them up.  I bet more people would support the switch if you included something like that.

Hometown
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 02:11:41 pm »

We live in the NW Quadrant and have once a week pickup now.  The schedule is not a problem and the carts are nice.  And I would like to see stepped up recycling with more items taken for recycling with the recycling picked up by the garbage collectors with the garbage.  I like the fact that the recycling fee would be mandatory whether it was used or not.  When it comes to recycling many other parts of the nation have left us in the dust.  Even my sister doesn't recycle.  Amazing how many people here don't recycle.  What will they do when the future arrives and they don't know how to function?

I imagine a lot of money and livelihoods are at stake in this decision.  There are probably all sorts of behind the scenes things going on.  And isn't the underworld involved with garbage collection in many U.S. cities?

« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:12:27 pm by Hometown » Logged
Wilbur
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 02:24:05 pm »

50% reduction in trash pick up?  I'm all for it, if........

....... there is a 50% reduction in my trash bill.  Anything less is just another fee increase.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 02:53:45 pm »

I don't have time to properly answer because I have to clean the margarita machine for my wife's party tonight.

I will write more later.

This idea is sound, but I am not sure is going anywhere. I truly believe we could have the best trash and recycling programs in the state if we followed this report for no additional money.

I just don't think there are enough green people in Tulsa to overcome the objections from those who demand twice-a-week service. They like everything the way it is and don't want to change.

Almost every other big city in the country and the region has switched to this kind and level of trash service, but Tulsans think their trash stinks more and will scream against the idea of change.

As much as I hope that some of the councilors read the report and become champions for the cause, I am still skeptical. The pilot program fiasco last year just made them wary of the whole idea of changing anything.

Power is nothing till you use it.
OurTulsa
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 03:47:58 pm »

I'm all for efficiency and recycling and have no objections to once a week trash pick-up plan.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 04:09:17 pm »

I could do every 2 weeks with ease...

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 04:11:15 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

....... there is a 50% reduction in my trash bill.  Anything less is just another fee increase.

Perhaps it is a measure to AVOID rate increases.  I don't know the economics well enough, but the cost of trash service is on both the pickup and delivery side.  They have to pay someone to take it... and that cost will likely NOT go down with once a week pickup.

I'm all for it if it saves the city and tax payers money or otherwise increases efficiency.  It's not that big of a deal and if you create more trash than you can fit in your barrel you should be paying more for the pickup anyway.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 04:28:32 pm »

quote:

How so? Will you be generating 50% less waste?

---Robert
dbacks fan
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 04:46:33 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TURobY

quote:

How so? Will you be generating 50% less waste?

When we got our recycle can and they changed us to once a week for trash and once a week for recycle it cut our trash by more than half some weeks, and there is no seperate charge for the two.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 04:48:18 pm »

I'm all for the way the pilot program did it, weekly trash and recycling pickup on the same day.

My trash picks up 8 times a month and recycling picks up twice a month. That's not a way to promote recycling.
dbacks fan
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 04:59:23 pm »

Here are the guidelinesfor the Phoenix recycle program.
Jitter Free
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 05:30:31 pm »

I must say I am in favor of keeping it at 2 times a week.  

Good point raised by the person who said 50% less service then 50% less bill.  The pilot program they had was 50% less service for maybe 20% less bill.  I thought.  I could be wrong on that number.

I called around some of the private trash haulers in the area.  Most will do 2 days a week service for some a little less than the city is charging and some right at what the city is charging.  If they do move to once a day, I will call my city councilor and ask for an exemption out (sort of like the EMSA charge).

Exempt me out and I will contract with a private company for my 2 day a week service and pay a little less for it.

waterboy
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 06:13:34 pm »

Aren't the once a week containers larger? And aren't they provided with the service?

Less fuel consumed for pickups, more incentive for recycling. I would support once a week. I always forget which day the second pick up is and miss it anyway.
MDepr2007
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 09:45:53 pm »

Don't fine me for leaving the container at the curb all week and I might go for it. Not like the average citizen will have a say in the matter  anyway
inteller
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 09:55:44 pm »

i'll take one a week and free recycling, but there better be a rate reduction for reduction in service.  Don't try to pass it off as "well we need save costs so its either once a week or raise your rates" bull****.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org