A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:56:58 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa board should have nixed charter school suit  (Read 7361 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 01:27:17 pm »

Why don't we start a charter school here at TulsaNow?

We can pay ourselves administrator salaries, hire teachers independently, then make them members of the State of Oklahoma's Teacher's Retirement System.

We don't need any permission to go after any Tulsa Public School student or any of their funding. All we need is a sponsoring public funded college, university of technical school to let us use their connections. We can even pay them or name them on our own governing board.

Who wants to be the Principal? The Superintendent? There are no degrees or certifications needed.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 05:55:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

Why don't we start a charter school here at TulsaNow?

We can pay ourselves administrator salaries, hire teachers independently, then make them members of the State of Oklahoma's Teacher's Retirement System.

We don't need any permission to go after any Tulsa Public School student or any of their funding. All we need is a sponsoring public funded college, university of technical school to let us use their connections. We can even pay them or name them on our own governing board.

Who wants to be the Principal? The Superintendent? There are no degrees or certifications needed.

Better yet, start your own Title 60 Public Trust where you can collect a salary for sitting around all day, surfing the internets and posting on message boards. Hell, you don't even need to start a new one, just find an inactive one already on the books.

I am not aware of any any degrees or certifications needed for that job, either.

BTW, I wonder if employees of public trusts get a public employee pension?

All you need is a little patronage via cronyism or nepotism from sponsoring local municipal bureaucrats and politicians to get-r-done, who can in turn, serve on the board of trustees.

Who wants to be executive director?

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 06:30:34 pm »

This ain't about me...I don't understand why whenever I post an opinion different than mine, you attack my job.

I don't have anything against charter schools. I agreed with the two members of the school board who voted to dismiss the suit. We agree on all this, but you post statements so over the top that I sometimes disagree. My posts are about the topic, not about you. I also disagree with your attacks on magnet schools, but it was a red herring argument.

I don't know enough about charter schools, but I have friends with children in them (whom are very happy) and have been doing research. I have been posting facts about them and am surprised about what the qualifications are. There is an amazing lack of the rules found in the other public schools. That concerns me.  

The concept of charter schools is sound. I wish others things that government does could be done by the private sector for 95 cents on the dollar in a simple contractual way. But these schools can exist with minimal oversight and can cherry-pick students out of the school district my tax dollars pay for. The school district can't do anything to stop them and must turn over needed dollars to take care of the remaining students.

I would have a real problem of this with anything else. If my neighbors want to hire a private police force, I shouldn't have to pay for it. If they wanted their own water supplier or trash collector, fine, but then just demanding the 95 cents on the dollar would be wrong. It would be impossible to manage any of these if others were able to just opt out at will.

If our schools weren't funded with the 46th in the nation public dollars already, I would want as many charter schools as possible. They ain't, and I fully understand the remaining school board members who are trying to protect the limited dollars they already get.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2009, 08:50:29 pm »

I told you so.

Charter-school law is upheld; appeal likely

By ANDREA EGER World Staff Writer
Published: 4/24/2009

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org