A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:31:03 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Kathy Taylor Be Beat?  (Read 39290 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2008, 10:21:46 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown
In lieu of a good alternative she is our best shot at keeping a Democrat in Tulsa's mayor's office.

If that's all you're worried about, get some help from the Chicago area.  Depending on how it goes with the governor, there may be some people from Springfield available too.

Hometown
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2008, 09:46:50 am »

Waterboy, I'm referring to a Coalition of Ethnic, Special Interest, Religious, Political and Fraternal Groups, many of which overlap.  Even San Francisco liberals have to employ coalition politics to create a voting majority.  A Huey Long to tap into Oklahoma’s undercurrent of Populism would work too.

One of these days I’ll find some time to really research Governor Marland.  Did you know that Oklahoma passed State Health Insurance for Oklahomans in the 30s under Governor Marland?

Red Arrow, you aren't engaged in a conversation with me, you are taking an opportunity to post your talking points.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:49:35 am by Hometown » Logged
Hometown
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2008, 10:17:02 am »

A Democratic mayor like a Democratic governor can advance Democratic goals in very practical ways.  Also, Tulsa stands a better chance of getting some benefit from the Federal Government's upcoming Stimulus Package because Kathy Taylor is a Democrat and a Democrat is in the White House.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 10:19:50 am by Hometown » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2008, 11:42:58 am »

quote:

Red Arrow, you aren't engaged in a conversation with me, you are taking an opportunity to post your talking points.

Inteller did a better job of making my point than I did.  

I believe in a previous thread that you said you are a "yellow dog democrat". It may have been someone else.  I find no benefit in having a Democrat (or Republican) in office only because of their party.  I kind of remember reading something about Huey Long in high school. I remember nothing good about him.  At the moment, I see you as wanting nothing more than a good old boy network yourself, except that you want different good old boys. Your only goal is to defeat Republicans.  I understand but disagree.

Hometown
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2008, 11:53:57 am »

There is a lot of distance between me and Oklahoma Democrats.

I've gotten to know you Republicans better than I ever wanted to over the course of my life and I have to say Gerald Ford was the last good Republican.

Your crowd has done serious damage to my country and I'm going to hold you accountable until I see a change for the better in your party.

May be very long wait.  I'm not holding my breath.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 11:54:56 am by Hometown » Logged
Hometown
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2008, 11:58:32 am »

We absolutely should have gotten hand outs from Bush when LaFortune was mayor.  It's testimony to just how lame the local Republican party is that we did not. (We probably didn't even ask.)

Drive down to Dallas one of these days to see what the Republican gravy train looks like.

Sorry I have to explain how politics works to you guys.  Lost in the sticks for too long?

Hometown
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2008, 12:18:14 pm »

"What's in it for me."

I'm doing fine.  I made a pile back in liberal territory.  It's the droves of middle and low income Okies that need help.

I'm a Democrat that believes that my economic well being is tied to the well being of the community that I live in.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:20:05 pm by Hometown » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2008, 12:32:30 pm »

quote:

I've gotten to know you Republicans better than I ever wanted to over the course of my life and I have to say Gerald Ford was the last good Republican.  

I am not a Clinton fan (either one). I think Jimmy Carter could have ridden the tech bubble to the top the same as Clinton did.  Osama's crowd tried to level the World Trade Center in '95. We were already popular with the radical Muslim crowd. We did real fine in Rownada. Seems that that little incident in Waco happened during Bill's watch. Before that was... Jimmy Carter. A decent man. Probably ran into some economic situations that no one could have over come. He did a fine job keeping the military ready. Something about sand and helicopters. Not that effective as a Pres. He's been more effective in later years.  I still don't agree with some of his meddling. Before that... LBJ. I remember in Jr. High School the issues about Viet Nam.  LBJ painted Goldwater as a Nuclear Bent Warmonger.  LBJ is the one responsible for the huge build up in Nam. (I know Eisenhower was the first to send in "advisors".)  JFK had it right about what you can do for your country. He also pushed through a big income tax cut. Too bad today's democrats seem to want what their country can do for them. I'm too young (wow, what a thought) to remember Truman.  That's just the Presidents. I am not a Teddy Kennedy fan. Nancy Pelosi is an obstructionist. In fact, most of the notable Democratic Senators and Representatives turn my stomach just to hear them speak.  I guess I've gotten to know a few Democrats over the years and feel the same way about them as you do about Republicans.  Neither of us is likely to change.

Your crowd has done serious damage to my country and I'm going to hold you accountable until I see a change for the better in your party.

I feel the same way about Democrats. Except for about 12 years, they controlled the real power, Congress. Many have decent goals, it's the way they want to get there that is wrong.

May be very long wait.  I'm not holding my breath.

Something we can agree on.

Hometown
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2008, 12:47:17 pm »

The importance of taxes grows in the absence of good income.

Suzy Orman says if you owe a lot of taxes it means your making a lot of money and that's good.

Now, I'm not hopeful that the upper class will concur but they have paid professionals working around the clock to help them avoid taxes.  And they do.

But if I saw you trapped in a burning car Inteller, I would pull you out.  That's my way of saying Merry Christmas to you.

I've accepted that Republicans will be a part of the landscape for the rest of my life.  Now I've got to learn to "enjoy" swimming with sharks.  That's life in Tulsa.  God bless the Republicans of Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2008, 01:07:06 pm »

quote:

The importance of taxes grows in the absence of good income.

Suzy Orman says if you owe a lot of taxes it means your making a lot of money and that's good.

Now, I'm not hopeful that the upper class will concur but they have paid professionals working around the clock to help them avoid taxes.  And they do.

But if I saw you trapped in a burning car Inteller, I would pull you out.  That's my way of saying Merry Christmas to you.

I've accepted that Republicans will be a part of the landscape for the rest of my life.  Now I've got to learn to "enjoy" swimming with sharks.  That's life in Tulsa.  God bless the Republicans of Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Make more, pay more. Most would agree. It's just a matter of how much more. Both Kennedy's and Reagan's tax cuts generated MORE federal income. In Reagan's case it just got spent even faster.  If taxes are high enough to pay someone to avoid taxes, taxes are too high.

If I saw you in a burning car, any time of year, even knowing it was you (which would be difficult because I don't know you), I would pull you out because that's the way I am.  

Merry Christmas from the sharks.

Jitter Free
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2008, 07:37:05 pm »

Streets, public safety, water, sewer and trash...I don't think partisan politics matters at the city level...Then again that could jusst be my naive and ignorant point of view.

Regardless of party affiliation who would you like to see run for mayor?  I think I read a statement where someone didn't want Christiansen to run and I think I read a statement where someone wanted a "community activist" (my words not theirs) to run so I would be interested in hearing some names of who you would like to run for mayor (win or lose).  Let's face it some of the best and brightest people for the job lose elections, why?  Its called politics.  So, politics aside, who would you like to see run again KT?

waterboy
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2008, 08:19:18 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jitter Free

Streets, public safety, water, sewer and trash...I don't think partisan politics matters at the city level...Then again that could jusst be my naive and ignorant point of view.

Regardless of party affiliation who would you like to see run for mayor?  I think I read a statement where someone didn't want Christiansen to run and I think I read a statement where someone wanted a "community activist" (my words not theirs) to run so I would be interested in hearing some names of who you would like to run for mayor (win or lose).  Let's face it some of the best and brightest people for the job lose elections, why?  Its called politics.  So, politics aside, who would you like to see run again KT?

Nothing gets done with a change in mayoral position only. In my fantasy the mayor and the council members would be intent on changing the way things are done here. Moving away from postions of authority that are based on names, golfing partners, party affiliations, non-profit associations etc. I would hope for a radical mayor and council that are intent on redesigning the web of power that is currently unelected- the boards, trusts, and authorities that have the city by the short hairs. Its an arcane system meant for insiders. Perhaps even adding a city manager to handle many functions.

That person as of now doesn't have a name and if he/she did they would be most likely ignored. But when people are tired enough of out of touch government, that person will emerge. I have at least one former counselor in mind but he assures me he has no interest. That's part of the problem. Anyone knowledgeable enough about the current system, doesn't want anything to do with it.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2008, 10:15:21 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

From a political standpoint, what gets more money brought to this town is done by senators and house reps, not the frickin mayor.  Who got the low water dams funded?  it wasn't KKT.

and I'll tell you something else about that fed money, it was another one of those "rush jobs" that has seriously pissed off the council.  Several of the items on KKT's wish list were not previously identified capital improvement projects and the whole list got ZERO public input/discussion.  Of course her crony's excuse was "the assoc of mayors had to have it right away"!  Sounds like the Assoc of Mayors operates on the same cloak and dagger schedule as the KKT administration.  

What we have here is "strong mayor" form of government at its worst.  This city is in a dire dire need to go to a city manager form of government and put an end to these power tripping mayors like KKT.

Word.

Two glaring omissions from Taylor the Tyrant's wish list that would have been a great benefit for Tulsa are burying power lines/rehabbing our electrical grid and establishing Amtrak service, IMO.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2008, 11:42:07 pm »

quote:

This city is in a dire dire need to go to a city manager form of government and put an end to these power tripping mayors like KKT.

As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2008, 06:14:08 am »

quote:

quote:

But if I saw you trapped in a burning car Inteller, I would pull you out.

and again what does that have to do with your party affiliation? zilch.  Remember, this all goes back to you saying "you ant to keep a democrat in the mayor's office" but you have yet to show me or anyone what the benefit of that is.

Party affiliation means very little on the local level.  The elected official is simply too close to the people.

Real responsibilities like infrastructure and crime trump Republican ideology, and pandering is less effective for Democrats because interest groups are simply too small in number.

A mayor must be an effective, experienced business manager.  If they are pushing political philosophy, then they are simply trying to run for something else, in witch case the city is simply a stepping stone.

Our country abounds with elected officials who stepped very quickly from office to office to achieve higher goals, without accomplishing a single thing or signing a single paycheck.

The measure of effectiveness has nothing to do with party affiliation.  Nothing.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org