A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:19:05 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Life in OKlahoma 2008  (Read 13043 times)
Hometown
« on: December 17, 2008, 11:18:33 am »

Earlier this week I read a story in the Tulsa World about a steep increase in predatory lending in the state.  The article pointed out that even though the Legislature had strengthened laws against such lending at one point, a few years later the Legislature weakened the law and made it easier for Predatory Lenders to ply their trade and take advantage of low-income Oklahomans.

Then for contrast.

This morning I read a story about a local Democrat working to eliminate sales taxes on gun purchases in Oklahoma.  I thought to myself, this is 100 percent political, designed to get the Legislator re-elected.

We live in a state where our government is constantly posturing on highly charged symbolic Right wing issues and nearly totally negligent in taking care of the real needs of the people of Oklahoma.

It made me think about a Ms. Oliver who recently ran on a slogan touting Oklahoma values.  The slogan sounded great but are Oklahoma values really anything to be proud of?

There is a basic goodness in most people here but at the same time there is a dysfunctional mindset that has gripped them.  I don’t see any light on the horizon.  And now, with a majority Republican Legislature I imagine things will only get worse.

grahambino
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 02:36:16 pm »

I can't wait for our new legislature to tackle the REAL PROBLEMS facing our glorious State.

Abortion
Unions
Torts
Gays
Mexicans
Liberals

If you thought the real issues were the lack of education funding, the overcrowded prisons, the crumbling infrastructure or lack of economic development you were wrong!

I for one look forward to the Glorious GOP OKIE RENAISSANCE®!!!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 03:00:26 pm by grahambino » Logged
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 02:52:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by grahambino

I for one look forward to the Glorious GOP OKIE RENAISSANCE®!!!

Boy. I can't wait to see what THAT looks like.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 05:43:32 pm »

I'm sure glad that all of Oklahoma's problems have developed since the Republicans became a majority.  If the Democrats had caused any problems during their tenure, we would be in a real mess.

inteller
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 09:40:45 pm »

well i dunno, it seemed like the whole time Brad Henry has had us in a state of emergency somewhere some place.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 10:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

well i dunno, it seemed like the whole time Brad Henry has had us in a state of emergency somewhere some place.

I was thinking that before the Republicans got the majority that we had the best bridges and roads in the nation, the best public schools, the best indigent medical care, the best public transportation, the fewest homeless..... Oklahoma was like heaven on earth.  When the Republicans got control of the state legislature, that all went to H*** in a handbasket in a very short time span. Just an observation.   I could be incorrect.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 08:45:28 am »

I thought we cured:

GAYS with the gay marriage amendment.

Mexicans with 1804.

Unions by making our workers comp laws so bad we drive manufacturing away.

Torts by reducing plaintiffs rights.

Abortion by making women look at a video screen "for safety."

And liberals by having 8 years of GW.

Aren't we cured?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Steve
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 10:10:31 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

Earlier this week I read a story in the Tulsa World about a steep increase in predatory lending in the state.  The article pointed out that even though the Legislature had strengthened laws against such lending at one point, a few years later the Legislature weakened the law and made it easier for Predatory Lenders to ply their trade and take advantage of low-income Oklahomans.

Then for contrast.

This morning I read a story about a local Democrat working to eliminate sales taxes on gun purchases in Oklahoma.  I thought to myself, this is 100 percent political, designed to get the Legislator re-elected.

Signature, payday, quick cash loan companies have always thrived in this state due to lax laws and minimal regulation.  They are on every street corner in many parts of town, and you can't watch local TV for more than 15 minutes without seeing an ad for one of these gyp-joints like "Check into Cash" or "SureLock Loans."  It is a similar racket like property abstract compaines and local tag agencies, two more ancient relics that thrive in this state due to political patronage and the "good 'ol boy" mentality of kickbacks, graft, and corruption being acceptable business practice.

I about fell out of my chair when I heard about the bill that was filed to eliminate state taxes on gun purchases.  The author of the bill said gun ownership is a constitutional right and we should not make it more difficult by taxation.  What utter bull crap; pure pandering to the right wing.  If he really wanted to help the citizens of this state, especially less financially fortunate ones, he would file a bill to eliminated sales taxes on groceries, and fight for its passage.  That would help all OK citizens with their budgets, especially those of low to moderate income.
Hometown
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 11:47:50 am »

I imagine that local Democrats feel like they have done everything possible to advance Democrat core values given what they have to deal with.  

But obviously the Democrats have not saved Oklahoma from making one bad decision after another.  I for one would like to see a shakeup in Oklahoma's Democratic Party.  Now that we have lost the majority would be the logical time to do some creative self-destruction.  The party feels like a holdover from the days when it was the South's White Man's party, though I have friends who insist this is not the case.

As the national party does everything possible to garner the important Latino Vote, Oklahoma Democrats have played a big role in alienating Latinos.  Our heavy weights, Henry and Edmonson are damaged goods because of their role.  They have also obviously failed in advancing many other issues important to the Democrats.

The job ahead of us appears to be almost insurmountable.  And Oklahoma's self destructive bent has repeated over and over throughout out history.

I have to hand it to local liberals who have maintained some optimism because there appears to so little reason for it.

But like my mother always said, "There is no 'give-up' option."

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 12:54:58 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
If he really wanted to help the citizens of this state, especially less financially fortunate ones, he would file a bill to eliminated sales taxes on groceries ...

I would add clothing and prescription drugs. (It was that way in Pennsylvania, at least through 1971.)

grahambino
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 01:39:49 pm »

The new Okie Age of Enlightenment is nearly upon us!!!
At last!

We can purchase handguns without paying that awful tax!
Our teachers will have handguns strapped to their waist!  
College students will be able to conceal and carry handguns on campuses and in classrooms!  Surely this will cause our dropout rate to plummet!  
Open carry of handguns will be not only be legal, but encouraged!  

and just to think, a year ago I was so worried that the homosexual agenda was taking hold in Oklahoma!  
They KNOW NOTHING OF OUR HEARTLAND!!

Don't worry in the OKIE AGE OF ENLIGHTENMENT, You won't even be able to TELL its 2009, You'd swear you were in 1889!  

and if you don't like it, well, you can GIT OUT!
YEEHAW!
Hometown
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 03:47:53 pm »

I'm going to tell you what I told the Baby Bush Fan Club back at the height of his popularity four years ago.

Today, grahambino, you are on top of the Mountain.  

When you are on top of the Mountain there is only one place to go.  Down.  Down to the Valley.

Enjoy your moment in the sun, the clock is ticking and your days are numbered.

Now, don't let me catch you at the No Tell Motel with your boy friend.  Because, you, my friend, live in the State of Denial.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 03:50:12 pm by Hometown » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 05:05:25 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by grahambino

The new Okie Age of Enlightenment is nearly upon us!!!
At last!

We can purchase handguns without paying that awful tax!
Our teachers will have handguns strapped to their waist!  
College students will be able to conceal and carry handguns on campuses and in classrooms!  Surely this will cause our dropout rate to plummet!  
Open carry of handguns will be not only be legal, but encouraged!  

and just to think, a year ago I was so worried that the homosexual agenda was taking hold in Oklahoma!  
They KNOW NOTHING OF OUR HEARTLAND!!

Don't worry in the OKIE AGE OF ENLIGHTENMENT, You won't even be able to TELL its 2009, You'd swear you were in 1889!  

and if you don't like it, well, you can GIT OUT!
YEEHAW!

/sarcasm

I don't think HT's sarcasm-o-meter was clicked on today.  Happens to me sometimes to.  Either that, or mine is on over drive today.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Hometown
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 10:24:46 am »

Sorry about that.  I was preparing for a death match.

rwarn17588
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 10:31:38 am »

Hometown, please report to the Lost and Found booth. Your sense of humor is there.

[Wink]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org