A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:04:38 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [SURPRISE] Daily Oklahoman says abandon OSUMC  (Read 12775 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 08:07:44 am »

Back on topic, this is absolutely shameful:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20081118_17_A1_Iftops477608

Millions upon Millions lauded at OKC to keep their state hospital running and care for the indigent and little to nothing for Tulsa.

$77M in federal funds annually?

Money is allocated by the state?

Yeah, no OKC bias at all.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 08:09:04 am »

This was sent to me by a friend who goes to OSU-CHS, the students are/have gotten involved and sent out some emails.  This reply was forwarded all over the college:

quote:

Thanks for your email. I firmly support the preservation of the OSU Medical Center and have been fighting back against the opposition. We need Senator Coffee, Speaker Benge and Treasurer Scott Meacham to support the proposal that you may have read about -- transfer the hospital to a public trust with an state-funded indigent care subsidy of $12M a year plus a loan from the state for working capital and capital improvements. This is the proposal supported by Senator Wilson and myself, the Tulsa Chamber, the Mayor, Ardent and St. Johns, the Kaiser Foundation (which has offered $20M over 5 years to help) and The Tulsa World.

. . .

The Daily Oklahoman editorial is both regrettable and predictable. The OU facility in OKC receives $54 million a year for indigent care -- $27 million in direct subsidy from the state and $27 million in an arbitrary carveout of the Disproportionate Share Hospital funds. I fail to see any defense in the funding disparity for the two urban centers.

I will be continuing the fight to save the OSU Medical Center until the last drop of candle wax.

Regards,

Tom [Senator Tom Adleson]

$54,000,000.00 for OKC just for OU, Tulsans can go ahead and die off though.  Everyone knows OSU isn't as important as OU, and Tulsa health care is not one fourth as important as OKC (or at least, that's what the math is telling me).

That doesn't even count the other public health facilities in OKC.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 08:17:00 am by cannon_fodder » Logged

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 08:22:29 am »

quote:
Originally posted by jne

quote:
Originally posted by guido911

quote:
Originally posted by brunoflipper

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

The perception is that DO's do not have the same comprehensive level of coursework that MDs have.  An MD has detailed knowledge about all facets of medicine while a DO only has knowledge in the particular area which they study, which is often general practice.  Hence, no area of expertise.

Not vouching for it, just what the perception is.

Unless you are a physician, perceptions of who is better skilled, DO or MD, is absolutely meaningless and relying on that perception is a waste of time. Speaking as someone intimately familiar with DO training, I CAN vouch that the debate is mindless and stupid. As for an MD's perception, sounds more like they feel a threat to their job security than anything else.  

The way I see it, when you go to the emergency room and while on your back either in pieces from a car accident or grasping your chest because of a heart attack, the first thing you should not think about is gee, I sure hope my doctor went to an allopathic medical school.

i sure hope that they are board certified... it is the great equalizer and ensures they have a basic fund of knowledge and maintain an increased standard of continuing education... if they are not board certified by an abms board there is no way of knowing what you are getting... they may have never taken any training in their so called "speciality"... which is dangerous, especially in oklahoma, where you can get a medical license if you never even passed the third part of your board exams (the last state in the union that does so... shock.)

You keep referring to the "ABMS". Are DO's that attend DO residency programs and become board certified from that program eligible to have the blessing of the ABMS?

Nope, as I understand it they would have to go to an ACGME (MD) residency.  Bruno seems to think these are the only legitimate residency programs.

That was my impression as well. I looked at the ABMS website and did not see any DO board certifications that they recognize.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 08:45:28 am »

ABMS is an allopathic board only. Might as well ask if you doctor is ASE certified.

The non-profit board certification for DO's is through the AOA.

Why are we talking about this?!?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 08:47:08 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

This was sent to me by a friend who goes to OSU-CHS, the students are/have gotten involved and sent out some emails.  This reply was forwarded all over the college:

quote:

Thanks for your email. I firmly support the preservation of the OSU Medical Center and have been fighting back against the opposition. We need Senator Coffee, Speaker Benge and Treasurer Scott Meacham to support the proposal that you may have read about -- transfer the hospital to a public trust with an state-funded indigent care subsidy of $12M a year plus a loan from the state for working capital and capital improvements. This is the proposal supported by Senator Wilson and myself, the Tulsa Chamber, the Mayor, Ardent and St. Johns, the Kaiser Foundation (which has offered $20M over 5 years to help) and The Tulsa World.

. . .

The Daily Oklahoman editorial is both regrettable and predictable. The OU facility in OKC receives $54 million a year for indigent care -- $27 million in direct subsidy from the state and $27 million in an arbitrary carveout of the Disproportionate Share Hospital funds. I fail to see any defense in the funding disparity for the two urban centers.

I will be continuing the fight to save the OSU Medical Center until the last drop of candle wax.

Regards,

Tom [Senator Tom Adleson]

$54,000,000.00 for OKC just for OU, Tulsans can go ahead and die off though.  Everyone knows OSU isn't as important as OU, and Tulsa health care is not one fourth as important as OKC (or at least, that's what the math is telling me).

That doesn't even count the other public health facilities in OKC.

Makes me wish I had moved so I could've voted for Tom Adelson.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 09:18:59 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

ABMS is an allopathic board only. Might as well ask if you doctor is ASE certified.

The non-profit board certification for DO's is through the AOA.

Why are we talking about this?!?

"WE" were not talking about this. jne, Bruno and I were talking about this.[Wink]

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 03:22:06 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jne

Bruno seems to think these are the only legitimate residency programs.

yep... i do and i stand by it... and i'm not alone... http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/106/5/252...

most non-abms boards have limited accountability for continuing education (they leave it up to the state- which is a joke) and  widely varying (many have none) testing for recertification... they are dodgey at best...

i'll end my tangent...

anywho, sure hope they come up with some cash to fix this and keep osumc open... keep in mind, when you crack 140 residents affiliated with one institution, the graduate medical education dollars (gubmint monies) take a big uptick- bringing over osu puts saint francis over that mark...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 03:32:11 pm by brunoflipper » Logged

"It costs a fortune to look this trashy..."
"Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live..."

http://www.stopabductions.com/
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 04:17:20 pm »

quote:

most non-abms boards have limited accountability for continuing education (they leave it up to the state- which is a joke) and  widely varying (many have none) testing for recertification... they are dodgey at best...

i'll end my tangent...

anywho, sure hope they come up with some cash to fix this and keep osumc open... keep in mind, when you crack 140 residents affiliated with one institution, the graduate medical education dollars (gubmint monies) take a big uptick- bringing over osu puts saint francis over that mark...

First, I will concede your right to your opinion regarding non-ABMS approved residency programs. I will trust in the fact that the DO I am intimately familiar with that voluntarily chose not to attend one of these ABMS annointed programs is one of the finest osteopathic physicians I know. Count your blessings if you ever find yourself in an ER needing your opinionated life saved.

Incidentally, why keep OSUMC open if it provides poor medical training to its residents?

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 04:19:24 pm »

Can I nominate a OD/MD thread to continue the discussion?

No offense, I know I kind of opened the box in that one.  But I keep thinking there is news on the medical center!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 05:26:35 pm »

quote:

quote:

i'll end my tangent...

First, I will concede your right to your opinion regarding non-ABMS approved residency programs. I will trust in the fact that the DO I am intimately familiar with that voluntarily chose not to attend one of these ABMS annointed programs is one of the finest osteopathic physicians I know. Count your blessings if you ever find yourself in an ER needing your opinionated life saved.

that is funny.

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 05:27:36 pm »

we need to keep osu's residencies and their hospital alive because they save a huge underserved population...

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 06:48:11 pm »

quote:

we need to keep osu's residencies and their hospital alive because they save a huge underserved population...

Let's see, you first claim that it is dangerous to have non-ABMS certified physicians working out there, then you turn around and claim that we need these apparently unqualified/underqualified physicians providing care to the underserved population. Hypocrite.

CF is right. This should be its own thread.

brunoflipper
El Presidente
City Father

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 03:54:30 pm »

somethin' is better than nothin'...[Tongue]

but yes, i think that docs certified by their peer governing body are the real deal and as for other boards? not so much (i.e. American Board of Plastic Surgery ABPS and FACS vs. ABCS/ASPS/ASAPS/FACOS)... disagree all you want, kanye has my back...

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 07:37:47 am »

quote:

somethin' is better than nothin'...[Tongue]

but yes, i think that docs certified by their peer governing body are the real deal and as for other boards? not so much (i.e. American Board of Plastic Surgery ABPS and FACS vs. ABCS/ASPS/ASAPS/FACOS)... disagree all you want, kanye has my back...

Didn't physical therapists recently make up their own doctorate?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org