A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:24:02 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yahoo POP Help!  (Read 4171 times)
dsjeffries
« on: November 12, 2008, 01:56:54 pm »

I wanted to import my contacts from my computer into my phone, but had to set up an Outlook account first... So, I used my Yahoo account to do it.  Well, when I set up the POP and SMTP, it automatically downloaded the emails from my Yahoo account. When it did that, it completely removed them from my webmail... I don't ever plan on using Outlook (I just wanted my contacts imported to my phone!) and now all my emails are completely gone from Yahoo... I prefer webmail to anything else. Is there ANYTHING I can do?Huh?
Wilbur
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 05:31:58 pm »

I doubt there is anything you can do about the emails that have already been transferred to your Outlook, short of writing to Yahoo and requesting through them.  Believe me, they have them (and can be obtained by court order), despite what they may tell you.

But, there is a setting that tells Yahoo (or whoever you use) to maintain a copy of the email on their side if you access your email through an email client.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 05:43:06 pm »

Unfortunately you're hosed.

Microsoft says yer welcome.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 07:21:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by dsjeffries

I wanted to import my contacts from my computer into my phone, but had to set up an Outlook account first... So, I used my Yahoo account to do it.  Well, when I set up the POP and SMTP, it automatically downloaded the emails from my Yahoo account. When it did that, it completely removed them from my webmail... I don't ever plan on using Outlook (I just wanted my contacts imported to my phone!) and now all my emails are completely gone from Yahoo... I prefer webmail to anything else. Is there ANYTHING I can do?Huh?

If Yahoo supports IMAP on their Plus accounts, you could set up a copy of your account as IMAP then copy the messages from the POP account to the IMAP account. (after changing the settings on the POP version so that it can't connect and download and delete the messages again)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 09:43:36 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by nathanm

quote:

If Yahoo supports IMAP on their Plus accounts, you could set up a copy of your account as IMAP then copy the messages from the POP account to the IMAP account. (after changing the settings on the POP version so that it can't connect and download and delete the messages again)

I checked and they don't.
dsjeffries
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 09:46:14 pm »

Yeah, I just checked, too.  I could get IMAP with Yahoo if I get Zimbra Desktop or something like that.

I apparently didn't check the 'keep files on server' box, which caused this whole mess.

Suck.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 10:09:47 am »

quote:

Yeah, I just checked, too.  I could get IMAP with Yahoo if I get Zimbra Desktop or something like that.

I apparently didn't check the 'keep files on server' box, which caused this whole mess.

Suck.

You can email them all to yourself. Or switch to gmail which does do imap. And is free.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 03:48:21 pm »

If you you're just wanting to export your contacts, just go to the address-book->export option within yahoo..
or, you can install "Yahoo Go!" on your phone which has the option to sync contacts between your phone and yahoo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org