A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:14:42 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oakland/East Bay weather vs. Seattle  (Read 6646 times)
jek.don
« on: November 06, 2008, 03:45:03 am »

Today's weather in Seattle is amazing! Can anyone currently living in Seattle give me an idea as to how often these type days (few or no clouds, nice blue sky, moderate temps), occur in the East Bay part of the San Francisco metro area?

I am considering a move to that area because of a job opportunity in San Francisco. My other half and I have come to the conclusion that we are most likely to own a home in that area if it is in the Berkeley or Oakland area (generally). Without turning this discussion into one of real estate, and realizing that where I may be working in San Francisco has a sort of unique weather situation of its own, what is East Bay weather like? Are there more clear days throughout the year as compared to Seattle? How are the temps, pretty moderate like Seattle from what I can see? Are there weeks of seemingly unbreakable clouds like there are here in the winter (lately spring, summer and fall too).

I don't need this type of weather everyday, heck, I grew up in New Jersey with cold and depressing winters. I do miss the fact that even in New Jersey during the winter there were days with some sun. I'm hoping the East Bay area may give me some of that back. I have had difficulty adjusting to the cloudy Seattle weather, even after four years of being here.

One last unrelated question, how green and lush is the East Bay area? I'm into landscaping, nice gardens and lush greenery. Am I going to be giving this up? It's been a few years since I've visited and I can't remember too well.

Thanks!
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 08:10:26 am »

Not to seem harsh here, but why are you asking this in a Tulsa, Okla. forum?

Just curious.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 12:29:02 pm »

third post from Seattle I remember
dbacks fan
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 01:31:07 pm »

I have only been to SF twice, once in early September, and once just before Thanksgiving. Theres not enough distance between Oakland and SF to make much difference in the weather. From Candlestick you can look across the bay and see the Coliseum in Oakland 10 miles away.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 03:37:11 pm »

Having lived in the Bay area and Portland (not Seattle, but similar weather), you have to really love drippy coldish days.  The scenery in the Great Pacific Northwet (not a misspelling) is breathtaking.  Some people love it, I was only able to last 7 years before I gave up and headed to sunnier climes.  The Oakland hills would be my preference over Berkley.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
ketrexkax
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 11:04:24 am »

Oakland is hot and dry in the summer. Frost is rare. Many things grow well there.

But um, this is the Washington forum. Maybe you should have this post moved to the California forum. Seattle climate does not resemble Oakland climate.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 11:05:14 am by ketrexkax » Logged
azbadpuppy
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 01:46:44 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by dbacks fan

I have only been to SF twice, once in early September, and once just before Thanksgiving. Theres not enough distance between Oakland and SF to make much difference in the weather. From Candlestick you can look across the bay and see the Coliseum in Oakland 10 miles away.

I have to disagree. Having lived in the Bay Area for over 5 years, I can say that the difference in the weather can be very striking between SF and the East Bay. The fog rolls in first over SF proper, so many times SF will be fogged in and 50 degrees, then you drive across the bay bridge and it's 80 and sunny. The fog will make it over the bay on occasion into Oakland and surrounding areas. However, the East Bay is generally much sunnier than SF and much warmer, especially in the summer. It gets warmer and sunnier the further inland you go. If you wind up in Walnut Creek, or up north by Pinole or Benicia, the temperature difference can be 30+ degrees over SF.

I lived in both the East Bay and SF proper, and the weather is way better in the East Bay. The winters are rainy all over northern California, so you can't escape that, but the summers are cold, foggy and damp in SF, and warm sunny and beautiful in the East Bay. If you can afford it, look at the North Bay (Marin, Sonoma, Napa) for the most beautiful greenery and best weather in northern California.

dbacks fan
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 06:03:48 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by azbadpuppy

quote:

I have to disagree. Having lived in the Bay Area for over 5 years, I can say that the difference in the weather can be very striking between SF and the East Bay. The fog rolls in first over SF proper, so many times SF will be fogged in and 50 degrees, then you drive across the bay bridge and it's 80 and sunny. The fog will make it over the bay on occasion into Oakland and surrounding areas. However, the East Bay is generally much sunnier than SF and much warmer, especially in the summer. It gets warmer and sunnier the further inland you go. If you wind up in Walnut Creek, or up north by Pinole or Benicia, the temperature difference can be 30+ degrees over SF.

I lived in both the East Bay and SF proper, and the weather is way better in the East Bay. The winters are rainy all over northern California, so you can't escape that, but the summers are cold, foggy and damp in SF, and warm sunny and beautiful in the East Bay. If you can afford it, look at the North Bay (Marin, Sonoma, Napa) for the most beautiful greenery and best weather in northern California.

Thanks az, I was just guessing, both of my trips were short, 4 days for each one, and had good weather for both.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 10:57:33 pm »

Was this a spammer testing the waters?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
azbadpuppy
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 02:18:46 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by azbadpuppy

quote:

Thanks az, I was just guessing, both of my trips were short, 4 days for each one, and had good weather for both.

You also went in the fall which is typically the best weather for SF. It always surprised me how the weather in the bay area could change in such short distances. Even within the city there are different micro-climates.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org