A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:34:20 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ruth's Chris Steak House  (Read 41143 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2016, 07:51:09 am »

This is a steak related question, so what better place.....

Was driving 3,000 miles over the last week or so and ran across something out of state that seemed strange.  Small country grocery with advertising sign in front;

No. 2 ribeye   $3.79 lb.

Intriguing concept....I was curious, so had to ask.   Was told that No 2 was referring to grass fed beef as opposed to grain fed.  And the price was unbelievable, but that was the actual charge.  They also had the 5 lb hamburger plastic wraps for about $7.50.  (As compared to the Walmart in town at about $11.)

Visually, this was some of the best looking ribeye I have ever seen.  Bought some as a test and fed to group of about 30 people.  Grilled some to each of the 3 stages - rare, medium, and well done.  All had very good flavor.  Very chewy - a couple of the people called it 'tough' (they ate well done).  Was good enough that I went back the next day and bought about 40 lbs. more.  At that price, and with the good taste, I wouldn't care what kind of meat it was!  Two days later I drove by the store again and the price had been raised to $4.19 lb.  Got to get a bigger freezer!

I have never heard of "No 2" referring to US beef (Wagyu is different system).  As for grass fed, I think that is all we had growing up, so it just seemed like 'normal' to me.  Chewy (tough) steak is why all the old people had those little hammer type meat tenderizers....

Anyone ever hear of 'no. 2' ??

Here’s a guide to beef grading, might answer your question and as to why it was cheaper and chewier.  Was it very well marbled or not?

https://www.sdstate.edu/ars/students/activities/judging/evaluation/beef-grading.cfm

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2016, 08:10:26 am »

Here’s a guide to beef grading, might answer your question and as to why it was cheaper and chewier.  Was it very well marbled or not?

https://www.sdstate.edu/ars/students/activities/judging/evaluation/beef-grading.cfm

Thanks!  That's what I have been looking for!  Just not rigorously enough, I guess.

Modest marbling - # 5 on their chart.

Really good steak, though.  Gonna have to look around here for some when I run out.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org